Why does it have to be 2-2-2?

Probably lots of data analysis.

Because I once decided to do the data analysis… With QP even (the most unreliable form of Overwatch) by filling roles and combining what my team comps were with what the other team’s comp was.

I realized 2-2-2 happened about 45-50% of the time and usually sat around a 60% winrate. 3-2-1 happened about 30-35% of the time with about a 50% winrate. Then 4-1-1 was really 10% with a winrate around 30%.

The usual condition for any sort of odd comp to work usually involved the other team being that much more dysfunctional, someone really carrying the team, or really good coordination.

So, why 2-2-2? Because it’s along the lines of what people generally ran the most and had generally a higher winrate of success… and… yes, they listened to the forums (in addition to other sources that make up… the community). They always listen to the forums… they just rarely take the specific advice or demands exactly how people want them.

You would buff them so they would be much harder to gank.

Otherwise, no one would play tank / support and oh look, we know where that road leads.

You would make it so they had the same survival and output of the 2 tanks or supports they were replacing.

You would have one, but they would be twice as hard to take out.

So do you try to jump them (and have to have co-ord or they will eat you) or do you take on the far more squishy dps, and then take them once they are alone.

And this is why 7s is a MUCH better idea than 4-1-1.

The devs aren’t always right.

That’s a judgement call.

1 Like

Tank and support are niche anyway. Even if you needed a support and a tank to twenty dps you would have long qs for dps. The role is that popular.

I just hope blizz can see this and not add them in a future OW2.

“Fun is subjective” got us into this mess in the first place.

Are you REALLY going to try that on?

Like seriously?

3 Likes

Except…

Looks like it was a common thought.

4 Likes

But some of that is surely because the hero select screen warns you when you have anything other than 2-2-2. That will pressure some people to swap from what they actually wanted to play.

A judgement call with a pretty common response. It’s a judgment call if you prefer Justin Bieber over Mozart, but that doesn’t make the alternatives equal.

They literally tried it, so I guess this is a pretty open and shut case.

1 Like

There is going to be QP classic for people that want to play that way.

It might be that case for you, but for enough people, the majority, it ain’t. It’s a terrible experience that leads to negative gameplay experiences more often than not, and we want something better. Role que is that something.

You need 16.6666% to play them in 4-1-1.

That’s easier to get than 33.3333% imho even with nerfs.

The more powerful you make them the more they need to die and the more people go for them.

All the CC garbage that the tanks complain about is a result of their power.

Non-Tanks would have been dead before even half of that happened.

They didn’t adjust the way the game was tuned to work with 4-1-1 and they also play together all of the time which is not representative of normal play.

Considering the sheer number of items their internal testing has failed I would not value anything that comes out of it at this point.

Look at the Mercy stuff. The goal of their rework was to reduce the impact of resurrect.

Instead, they drove resurrects through the roof.

Fact: The devs don’t speak for the millions of people that play the game

Please cite some stats that say more people dislike solo tanking than like it.
Personally, whether I solo tank or tank with another tank doesn’t change much in the way I feel about tanking.

They tried out Brig when she was first released, now look what happened.

Yet mentions of how the game has been tuned and how players as of now could easily melt tanks and healers as they are now.

They already got a bunch of nerfs due to GOATS but to have this 4-1-1 to work they would need to rework those two classes entirely.

Tanks and supports have lost players due to how the game changed over time to their detriment, now you want them to retune these classes just cause you don’t like 2-2-2?

I doubt that would be good for ANYONE

3 Likes

first tell us why genji has the highest pick rate and throw rate in the game. Because lets be honest genji pick rate exploded but he’s not better and more people are throwing with him than ever before

cuz he’s fun.

I don’t have any numbers. I just said it was pretty common.

You personally like it, good for you. Enjoy arcade.

The nail in the coffin is beyond that. The devs did not believe 4-1-1 to be the best they could offer, same way Smash doesn’t have fatalities and same way one hero limits were introduced. It’s not the experience they wish for their entertainment product.

Time will tell if said product actually succeeds.

I’m sure you will point out how bad it is and changes will be made.

And if you nerf them, for this, you won’t get even that.

Who the hell would play tank for 4-1-1 where you nerf them further.

You will lose what little tank player base you have now.

I am a support main.

My profile is public I’m not hiding anything.

Supports have lost players because the developers have ineptly made balance changes and have made heavy handed reworks.

2-2-2 is just more of the same from the developers messing up the game with heavy handed actions.

With that said the % on supports is actually up not down over the years.

People that actually like tanking.

Right now QP on PC has around 32% Supports and 22.60% Tanks.

So, you can literally have 45% of the supports swap to DPS and have 33% of the Tanks swap to DPS and still hit it.

A lot of these people were filling.

I know I was.

2 Likes

Good luck getting masochists that wants to play respawn simulator. It is already hard to get them(specially tanks) as is. Blizz could literally pay people to play tank and still you would not find enough people playing tank.

I know that pretty much all the people I know across console and pc would stop playing support and tank if 1-4-1 were a thing.

The only one I know that would keep playing those roles, likes Sonic 2006, so you know you are in awful hands.

1 Like

So I can say it is uncommon and it would have the same amount of effect as neither of us have proof. In other words, a stalemate.

I like to play ranked and QP.

They wished for people to flex.

That is the dream