Why does Echo being a DPS make people so mad?

This is honestly the crux of the issue. Before Ana Support was about damage boosting, discord, and speed boosting. After the ridiculous amounts of sustain creep that Ana introduced, supports needed to be able to heal through 2-3 dps at a time or they were worthless. They luckily realized this and have nerfed sustain across the board. Here’s hoping for more so supports can be more than just heal bots again.

2 Likes

With support you can do a lot more things. I think ever since Brig they’ve been too terrified to try.

2 Likes

Yep Baptiste was far too cookie cutter, same with Sigma, its like they were built to be tank/healer instead of being interesting.

The bitterness… not a good look. :grimacing:

Have a good day

1 Like

It only makes entitled people mad. OW was scheduled for a DPS & Echo was clearly a DPS in the Zero Hour trailer. I’m not sure why some were so surprised when she turned out to be a DPS lol. She was never teased to be a support :man_shrugging:

I’m not sure how else to say it. It comes off bad because I’m not sure how to further simplify it.

The separation of Offense and Defense was irreverent from the very beginning.

Outside of maybe Mei and Torb, they were all just DPS all the same. The differences in performance between defending and attacking were negligible at best, map dependent (often with roles reversed), and just caused confusion and bad habits in newer players.

The devs were severely shortsighted to ever believe playing the categories that way would ever be optimal, much less that the community would ever be willing to be restrict themselves that way.

6 Likes

I’m mad that her voicelines got nerfed
That’s all

1 Like

bonk stop trolling

1. we never had a real shedule. If we had, DF would bee a tank and Orisa either a DPS or Support and so on.
  2. She was confirmed first to be a support, but the ideas of her ult havent matched this. Her whole background story still does though, what makes her extremly weird considering her background.
  3. Its not like… we need more Supports and Tanks at all?
6 Likes

The devs said that they were actively trying to close the gap between the size of the tank, dps, and support roster.

4 new supports
3 new tanks
4 new dps

And one support reworked into a dps rather than fixed for a net of 3 new support, 5 new dps since launch.

It’s just weird that what they’ve said and what they’ve been doing don’t line up super well so far.

7 Likes

Same reason The Last Jedi made me mad.

You sure about that? This is the release of heroes released after OW launched.

Ana: July 19, 2016

• Sombra: Nov. 15, 2016

• Orisa: Mar. 21, 2017

• Doomfist: July 27, 2017

• Moira: Nov. 16, 2017

• Brigitte: Mar. 20, 2018

• Wrecking Ball: July 24, 2018

• Ashe: Nov. 13, 2018

• Baptiste: March 19, 2019

• Sigma: August 13, 2019

Doesn’t seem to follow any pattern to me. They could have gone either way with Echo.

2 Likes

See I totally get being a little upset.
Tanks and supports being upset they haveconsiderably less options is totally valid. I play all three ranks, I also want actual options when what I’m playing isn’t working.

Whats ridiculous is the amount of people who act like the devs HAD to make Echo a support, and constantly bash them just because she’s a dps. Its been months, its time to get over it.

1 Like

I vaguely remember them saying after Ashe that the next SIX heroes were tank and support. Not only did we not get 6 more but the final hero was another damage hero.

5 Likes

Call me crazy, but I still believe that Bap and Sigma are backburn material and by the time Ashe was launched Echo and Soujourn were almost ready, they just changed to making those two due Ashe’s bad reception at the time.

people got their hopes up for something that wasn’t promised
that’s the short of it

1 Like

im more impressed with your claim that a hero who’s dps abilities were already displayed in zero hour was actually already a fully finished support hero who the devs just felt like scrubbing to completely start the hero over again as a dps. yep sure

Echo may be a dps but she is still is a flying trash can as such.

One of the most unpopular…

She may be dps.

But she would have be loved way more as support. Screw the ult, they never give cool fun ults to support. I think it would have been problematic but it’s not anything that couldn’t work with or fix.

That’s the truth. Blizzard made a mistake. Hope that hero rusts over.

4 Likes

I think it’s a mix between people not wanting more DPS because
A. Tanking sucks rn and people wanted more choices or
B. They wanted more healers since a lot of healers have been off meta for a while
and people thinking she would be a support for over a year even though we saw she had damage abilities in the Zero Hour short.

With all that being said a lot of people probably felt let down by the DPS Echo since they wanted/expected something that wasn’t DPS focused.

3 Likes

I was expecting Echo to be a support and a bit disappointed that she was dps. I think Echo is cool as a dps, but what disappointed me the most was that despite the statement from the devs that they are focusing on tanks and supports but in reality it has been 4 dps, 4 supports, and 3 tanks while also removing Sym from support and adding her to dps. Tanks and Supports really need more options, but it just isn’t happening.

3 Likes