Why does Echo being a DPS make people so mad?

She was originally healer we know this, they changed her to dps tho because of her ultimate

The dps didnt have to be echo specifically tho supports and players in general were kinda expecting echo to be support

The only support we’ve seen in cinematic form actually healing people and not killing them is mercy the pacifist

11 Likes

Uh huh…

Also, none of the information that was shown about Echo said “omg support yas!” besides what Jeff said about her being designed as a support at first… In the Zero Hour short, she wasn’t doing anything support like… The forums set themselves up for disappointment, which always happens.

2 Likes

She became a dps after Zero Hour. This was already confirmed

4 Likes

Echo being a DPS isn’t so bad to me but gotdang if she ain’t squishy.

Im actually way more mad that they released Echo, while…lets not forget they skipped over one hero release between Sigma and Echo, and then call it a day … for a PVE add-on (most likely). No maps, no heroes, nothing in the meantime. Thats what people should be mad about !

1 Like

I too can cut sentences out of context to try and prove a point.

Next time be intellectually honest and don’t ignore half of a sentence to fit your narrative.

4 Likes

Several things happened though she isn’t hated, she is fun.

But in dev fashion they weren’t listening to what players or community needed. They said they were going to address the que times for 222 by releasing another hero in the already crowded popular long line of DPS.

And on top of that she didn’t bring much change or excitement to how the game is played thanks to several patch changes.

She’s a glass cannon and represents the problem with many of the DPS. Why pick this DPS when these other DPS have less counters and can play safer with more consistent damage output.

Had Echo been here since launch and the release was Torb, it would be the same reaction.

Fun lovable hero but not the additional content the game needs to shake things up for an especially stale mode like 222 imo.

14 Likes

I remember back when it was just Lucio Zen and Mercy haha. I kinda wish we could go back to simpler times like this haha

Shoot before then I was a Winston/Zen player. In the beforetimes. Back when I was a console player, before Doomfist became my main hero.

Lol. I started on console to. I tried loading in a game a few weeks back, it’s literally unplayable now that I’ve been on PC for a year and a half lol

Didn’t really work like that lmao. I was just trying to say what you were putting forth didn’t make sense. It’s contradictory. At the end of the day Echo is a DPS and will stay that way. If we’re being intellectually honest.

Source please?

1 Like

I don’t really have time, search for interviews with the developers regarding Echo.

^

Bingo. To be fair the devs have stated that they didn’t have Echo’s kit concrete and she was actually changed to DPS when the ultimate didn’t fit. But none of that is the fault of the DPS playerbase, or even the devs themselves.

She was never promised as a support despite what people imagined she would be. It’s only the crazies who let their wishes and imagination turn what makes sense from a game design point into some insult against their fragile egos.

I’m more surprised how easily they changed a character because someone on the dev team thought up an idea for a cool ultimate. jingle keys harder

8 Likes

There’s nothing contradictory about it. It just requires you to read, process and comprehend more than one sentence at a time.

1 Like

I mean to be fair it is a really cool ultimate.

1 Like

Well I wish they put that amount of creative effort into other roles.

5 Likes

Its the usual people that play this game for the cute characters and lore and all that insignificant things that have nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

They liked her “look” and they assumed her role by just her looks. Pre profiled her.
And they were angry when their head canon girly bot wasnt a healer they could main.

I mean WB is the most interesting hero overall in the game. Sigma did 1001 things well so the tank role got interesting heroes.

Support is kind of weird in that once you accept a support must heal, there is only so much you can do with that.

Echo should have been released in OW2 and a support or tank released in her place. That’s about it.

5 Likes