Why do I have to manually report someone for calling me the n-word?

You cannot log in to Overwatch between the hours of 4pm and 7pm without being called a [Removed]. For some reason, even when these are typed into chat these people still need to be manually reported. I can’t type those words here because there’s an automatic filter. Someone saying “you’re a [Removed]” doesn’t like automatically flag them. I have to report someone maybe every other game for these kinds of things. It’s a real hassle and it’s why those people are still here. It seems like even when you do report someone, the only repercussion is a temporary mute.

Why is Overwatch such a welcoming community for the sorts of folks saying these things? How come black people seem to be less welcome on this platform than virulent racists? How come dudes who say "get back in the kitchen, [Removed] to female teammates seem about as common as female teammates?

I’m running the risk of getting banned because I won’t play out competitive games where I’m being harassed by teammates or dealing with this sort of behavior. When people in my game are singing songs about lynching black people I’m just gonna leave that game.

19 Likes

I think these are still violating the Coc

But it is still sad that people have to go throught this

Automatically reporting the usage would also catch people sending messages like “report Username, he called me a [Removed]” unless they know to censor it.

I just got temporarily banned from the forums for my use of language in this post. Why is this chat system so much better than the in-game one?

17 Likes

Because people report you.

What are you talking about?

On the forums, they report you when you use bad language that’s why you got banned appearently.

There’s an automated system on the forums.

Never happened to me I always have my post flagged if I do these things. forums and games don’t work the same way.

You would think they would just have the typed message not go through if it has forbidden words when hitting enter instead of censoring the word. Would save Blizzard the trouble of dealing with a report.

5 Likes

Ok so this post has been censored for complaining about the problem but people in game are getting by just fine actually using the words with the intent to harm people.

1 Like

They already have a censor thing in game chat IIRC. It might even be turned on by default.

Sorry, they only can automatically filter “ez pz” to replace it with some funny random phrase.

Anything else is beyond the capabilities of team “look we failed” Titan.

4 Likes

I mean given the absolute trash fire that is most automated systems… I really don’t think any one would like them auto banning people for something that got stuck in the chat filter.

Sure it blocks most swear words, but it can also block totally harmless things as well. Not to mention we as the players often have no idea what the list of blocked words even are. What was it battlefield 5 that blocked the word DLC if the word free wasn’t in front of it?

1 Like

This is the question all of the people who are about to make excuses for not having a filter in game need to be asking themselves. In the game that refuses it’s players a scoreboard, meaningful statistics, gives the option to make profiles private, and censors phrases like “ggez” all in the name of reducing toxicity and making the community a more welcoming place, why isn’t the same philosophy being applied to slurs? It’s sad that people specifically in this community will argue until they’re blue in the face for the rights of bigots to spew their hate in game.

6 Likes

To further improve these systems, we’re doing a lot of exciting work to develop “machine learning” systems to assist in accurately identifying abusive chat and gameplay sabotage

~2 years ago

What a failure that was then.

2 Likes

Indeed, and it could’ve been used so well…

You don’t need machine learning to find if someone is using the N-word repeatedly.

It’s like it’s part of gamer culture now.

I’m disappointed with how companies are dealing with this - not Blizzard specifically but all companies so far.

You should make a compilation video and make it public before Overwatch 2 - that’s probably the only way to ensure it’s taken seriously.

2 Likes

that’s not remotely the same thing