Why did they take headshots away from bastion

When he’s in sentry form?

2 Likes

Welcome back to the game.

Bastion’s nerf has been in place for almost 6 months now. It was mostly to balance out the buff he got to his survivability (35% damage reduction when in sentry) and reduced bullet spread.

1 Like

Bastion doing 900 dps would be a bit strong.

3 Likes

But hey! At least you can’t be pulled off of the payload with Orisa’s Halt anymore!

2 Likes

6 months? It’s been over a year.

11 Likes

Ah, I stand corrected. I just know it’s been a really long time. Maybe I was thinking about the patch where they nerfed the damage reduction to 15%?

It’s 20% now. They did that in early March last year, it’s been 495 days since his nerf. July 16th will be day 500…

They removed headshots and gave him one of the largest non-shotgun hitscan spreads in the game to balance out 35% Ironclad, and then they reduced Ironclad, but didn’t give any damage potential back… Hopefully he’s up next on the buff/rework list, but they haven’t said anything about him since his nerf way back when…

3 Likes

It was part of their rework to differentiate the strengths between Recon and Sentry Mode. Sentry would be a sturdy barrier buster which melted large targets (like Tanks and Barriers), while Recon would essentially be Soldier lite with decent survivability (they made it so he could repair while moving) and spread.

Personally I think they should buff it back to 35% BUT convert Bastions Armour into flat HP so he can’t double dip on damage reduction, which was what made him absurd for like a week before he got nerfed.

Would make him better at surviving big hits, like Pharah Rockets or Sniper shots, but it wouldn’t make him essentially invincible against pellets due to Armour and DR’s interaction.

1 Like

I don’t really like Ironclad at all, it just promotes bunker comps… Right now, for every 12 damage an enemy does to Bastion, he only needs to heal 10 of it back. This makes him extremely pocketable because it’s much easier to heal damage than it is to deal it.

I would rather do pretty much a full revert of everything except the new healing, the new Recon, and the new transform times. Put Sentry’s ammo at 200, give headshots back, give his spread and bloom back, take away Ironclad. If they really want to keep Ironclad as part of his kit, then only apply it when he’s healing. That way, he still has some damage resist, but only for 4 seconds. He can still survive stuff, but he has to give up damage dealing to do it.

So strong that was barely picked even before.

4 Likes

Right? I don’t get the whole “he would do too much DPS otherwise” thing, that’s what he did before… I mean, yeah, with Ironclad it might be a bit much, but if it is, you can just give him 1.5x multiplier headshots instead (kinda like how Widow has 2.5x headshots).

1 Like

I think as long as Sentry Mode exists, Bastion will always be synonymous with Bunker Comp since a hero that is planted in one spot like Bastion is will always need something like an Orisa’s or Rein’s shield to be effective.

Thats how blizzard reworks work, they give you some stuff you dont really need in exchange for taking away some actual useful things.

sombrasayshi

1 Like

Bastion was way stronger before. In terms of damage.

Now he survives longer, but the hanzo buff makes him useless.

If bastion could survive storm arrows, he would see more use.

1 Like

Storm arrows aren’t what’s holding him back, it’s his very poor damage output at range. Here’s a reference if you haven’t seen it. That’s a chart of some tests done on a Training Bot. Actual in-game performance will vary obviously, but against most heroes in the game, he’ll be doing less DPS because they’re smaller, and they’re moving around.

He can survive storm arrows if he heals himself, he just can’t survive the followup shot without another healer or two on him.

2 Likes

Who is the most played hero at the moment?
Reinhardt.
His biggest counter is bastion.

Of all the 10 most played heroes, only hanzo is there to counter bastion.
As for the others, bastion is a direct counter to 4 of them.
The others have mobility to get away, but can’t do anything against him.

I think the pre-ironclad bastion would be much more useful, being able to headshot and do crazy burst damage is amazing.

1 Like

here’s why…Mohammed-zea wasn’t really fond of Bastion.

1 Like

Probably because they didnt want somewhere around 40% of games involving bastions being supported and built around. People throw around the term unfun a lot around here but being mowed down by a player made sentry with player controlled support is pretty much going to kill your enjoyment of a match. Even his counters are easy to pressure and control so that the bastion can do its job, the mere presence of one doesn’t mean the bastion has to switch the rest of his team can back him up.

Bastion fell victim to what I suspect Hanzo will fall victim to in the future - they buffed him to a point where they had to mitigate his damage somehow (thus removing headshots), and then it remained even after the other nerfs meant to put him in a more reasonable spot, resulting in him currently having a feature that doesn’t really make sense.

It will be the same with Hanzo and Mercy/Ana/Orisa not being able to damage boost his ult in the future even when he’s no longer meta - someone will ask “why is this, it doesn’t make sense!” and the forum historian will have to tell the tale of how inconsistent nerfs are silly.

1 Like