Why did mercy get the thai themed skin

im no expert on this stuff and this is just my (and all my friends) opinion so dont go yelling at me, and if im wrong in any way just tell me. but why did mercy get the thai themed skin? and not the only actual thai character in the game? is that not weird to anybody especially after lifeweaver got a victory pose and a spray this season and thats it? i know they just wanna sell mercy but im honestly kind of salty lmao. i always hear old ow1 players say how much worse this games gotten money and greed-wise, i only started in may of this year and i can already tell they’re right. i wanted to show my cousins and friends this game but whats the point when the company only cares about selling their female characters and making money

7 Likes

Probably because mercy is popular. Poor lucio, barely getting any skins of his own.

10 Likes

According to Tweet (X?) made by a member of the art team this Mercy skin predates Lifeweaver’s development.

And yes, they will prioritize targeting where they see money that’s the f2p BP way. I called it when they announced the monetization shift that fan favorites would eat and less beloved heroes would starve. Is it unfair? Yes, but there’s a direct dollar link between popular and profit now.

We have only seen one skin for that event, we don’t know how many more skins are involved nor who might be getting them. I’m holding out hope for Weaver, Kiri and Symm getting thier own LNY skins tbh. Weaver needs some good looks as bad as Baptiste does.

9 Likes

She really shouldn’t have. The fact that other heroes would have fit the idea better aside, it’s her 3rd asian-culture themed skin and visually looks so close to the other two (miko and Zhuk(?) I definetly spelled that wrong) that it feels unnecessary.

If not Light weaver then it should’ve gone to mei or sym

10 Likes

Perhaps Mercy getting a Thai skin, was the cause of them creating a “Mercy-like” Thai hero?

2 Likes

Lucio was getting skins at least last three seasons in row…

8 Likes

Mercy mains buy lots of skins

5 Likes

Must have been the medicore skins. Because I don’t remember any good ones. Even zen got his cool rubber duck skin.

I quite like lucio’s Hermes skin but I’ve heard that there’s a bug where it makes his skating sound very loud and easily audible to the enemy nearby. I’m not sure if it’s fixed yet but I haven’t used it just in case.

1 Like

I am not gonna deny it - I got my self a Lucio Bard skin, cause I am way too much into RP/DnD.

1 Like

Because mercy “players” are more interested in playing dress up than the actual game itself and will buy skins? Pretty obvious answer is just to not buy the skins :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mercy also has one of the easier silhouettes to design for in terms of the art direction of:

It has to look good but also keep the core silhouette of the character.

This was a topic brought up when they did one punch man doom for example, they had to make sure the cloak wouldn’t ruin his “outline” because players genuinely do get used to the outlines to identify heroes :).

But as also mentioned Mercy’s been made for over 2+ years long before Lifeweaver came into production. Whilst it sucks for this year we may see more skins for him next year!

2 Likes

I still think that they should have just scrapped the skin for her when they created Lifeweaver. Sorry. The inspiration for the skin is literally associated with the Tree of Life lol.

Fortunately, the backlash has led to such lovely fanart—hopefully Lifeweaver gets vindication!!! Spotlighting some bc the swiss lady really stepped on my toes this time

2 Likes

It doesn’t look anything like Mercy’s other Asian inspired skins.

Zhuge has this feathery ascetic to it, as it was released during the Year of the Rooster, and Miko is completely different.

Plus, they’ve said already that this skin pre-dates Lifeweaver, so why would they design a skin for a hero who wasn’t even designed at that point?

1 Like

Did I miss something? Is Mercy the only hero getting a LNY skin? Did they preview the other LNY cosmetics? Why are we all assuming Mercy is the only one getting a Thai/LNY themed skin? Are people perhaps just getting prematurely outraged?

3 Likes

They look similar to me but you don’t have to agree. And I already said if not lifeweaver (bc I know they had reasons not to,) then mei or sym should’ve gotten it. Or literally anyone else. Bc mercy doesn’t need a third lunar new year themed skin.

Like Mei, a chinese hero, only has 2 LNY skins (unless I’m forgetting some), with one being a recolor of the other. Sym doesn’t even have any. Mercy has Zhuk + the one with the ribbons and now this one. She don’t need it, give us cool jetpack mercy instead.

1 Like

Some people (sure, me included) are certainly jumping the gun—I saw ppl assuming Hanzo and Genji didn’t get anything.

But it’s doubtful that they’ll reuse the exact same concept for LW and he should have taken prio for it once he was conceptualized, especially when “Mercy is my favorite Asian hero” is literally a running joke in parts of the playerbase. Idk why they couldn’t have spotlighted Sym or something… just kind of weird but it is what it is

1 Like

Why though? Previous LNY events have had the same concept spread through multiple heroes. I can def see him getting a super cool year of the dragon themed skin too (if they had time to work on it). Same how multiple heroes get ugly Christmas sweaters or those hideous Rime ice crystal skins that Sig, Brig, and Sombra have.

But wait and see, I suppose. Dunno how far out they start working on skins for events. If they already had the Mercy skin in the works prior to LW conception, that’s quite a long time.

2 Likes

Maybe, but the Mercy skin is based on something more specific—a Kinnara, which is a creature that guards the tree of life in some countries’ mythologies. Don’t get me wrong, I get why they went for mercy based on a cursory skim of Wikipedia… even though it’s perfectly fair to argue that mercy has had more than her fair share of LNY skins, especially when heroes from countries that actually celebrate LNY are possibly still left by the wayside.

Fwiw I think I’m also sore that Lifeweaver also just got nothing at all this season besides a victory pose even though he should get the same “OW2 hero he needs a bazillion cosmetics to catch up with the original cast” treatment the other OW2 heroes get. Like I fully acknowledge that as well lol. I mean, dang, not even a recolor of cleric for Christmas like illari got???

2 Likes

Well it’s Mercy…

1 Like

The fact that mercy got the star LNY skin AND it’s a thai-themed skin going to a white woman instead of the ACTUAL thai character is the confirmation that this team doesn’t care about the skins and their meaning anymore. Skins used to be fun, exclusive, and have deeper lore meanings in some cases, but now all they care about is pumping out fanservice on their most marketable characters. There’s no passion left in this game, only greed.

3 Likes