Why are the forums so restrictive?

I’m sure you spent quite a lot of resources totally reworking the forums. While I think you’ve done a good job organizing forum threads better, I have to say I am really disappointed that you continue to lock down things like pictures, gifs, and even links.

The League of Legends forums allow all of this and are a much more interactive and fun social community because of it. Can you really not moderate your forums enough that you can’t trust your community to even be able to post freakin’ links in 2018?!

44 Likes

I think they’re saving that for some sort of reward system.

2 Likes

You can post links, it just takes a space to make it work

Wait you can’t link to imgur anymore?

Which makes it not a link anymore… thanks for the work around tip, but that’s not really the point, is it? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s something right?

Trusted members can post whatever, only problem is there are very few members with those privileges right now.

1 Like

It’s mostly dev staff and community staff, I don’t think one user has those privileges yet

3 Likes

I don’t think any regular forum user can ever get it. The only people who gets these privileges are Devs, Mods, CM and MVPs (from the previous forum platform)

The Trust system feels like some sort of placebo attempt to get users to be more active and nice to each other

8 Likes

Hopefully it’s not in it’s final form then. :frowning:

Why should being able to post a link be a reward? That is a standard feature of almost every forum I have ever used. And I have to say ‘almost’ now because this forum doesn’t.

11 Likes

I suppose they don’t want people posting inappropriate images and links with all of the traffic this forum receives. Still being limited on those options makes the forum look really basic as i can already do that type of stuff on Reddit and other official forums from other non Blizzard IP’s.

You’re asking them to trust a group of people that are routinely toxic. That spam. That post tons of things unrelated to OW.

I mean, I’m all for more features, but to be fair, I think the community (as a whole) has pretty much eliminated the trust.

6 Likes

You’re saying the League of Legends community is mature and not toxic? I’d link you to how much better their forums are, but Blizzard doesn’t trust me enough! :neutral_face:

1 Like

To be fair, as far as links go, I think it’s more to just prevent bots from just making spam threads with links to less-than-desirable third party sites. Even if mods are on top of deleting said threads, there’s no guarantee that they’ll be removed before anyone is stupid enough to follow said links.

Like, people found a workaround in a day, and the mods don’t edit any links out of posts. If it were just to prevent normal users from linking to other pages, it would be cracked down on a lot harder.

1 Like

The LoL mods have given up.

2 Likes

The whole restrictive thing is being placed on the new site that is hosting this forum now. Supposedly the new program is meant to be highly customizable and able to flex into whatever the hosting party wants it to be. Devs reply to it so far.

“We are working on it. For now please enjoy the forums.”

One example of damage control on forums with high negativity due to bad gaming experience is Destiny 2’s forums. Where the forums are locked for only those who have purchased and made an account with Bungie via D2. Meanwhile every other fans of other Bungie games and those who merely wanna read the forums are restricted from accessing these forums. Meaning that even if you were looking to buy Destiny 2 or have no intention to do so you cannot read or post in the Destiny 2 forums or Destiny 1’s as a matter of fact.

Another example of extreme forum moderation towards a chosen narrative is Battlefront 2’s forums. Where deceptive posts and constantly deleted threads are being controlled by a group if moderators tasked to delete threads based on certain ideals. Such as the Vader fiasco and any content pertaining to “free” Vader from lootboxes and the vastly huge grind achievement to get him for free.

Overall it was about time that a large company like this may follow suit. I mean they have already done so via lootboxes microtransactions and manipulation of highly charismatic characters. All to draw players into a game.

Though its just a thoery all the evidence points towards such a thing.

You can read Destiny 1 & 2 forums without owning both of those games. However you cannot post on the forums if you don’t own those games (just like here).

Thank you for the correction. Though the fact remains. It is still highly restrictive as is the case is here.

2 Likes

I think they’re just saving that for when more and more people get to a higher trust level.