Why Are People Upset About Overwatch 2?

I’ve been surfing the forums for a little bit and found information on Overwatch 2. A lot of it is very exciting for me. More lore, more skins, it uses the same client so you don’t need to start over, all these sound awesome!

But it seems like there’s a lot of negative feedback. People do not seem happy about Overwatch 2 as a concept. Am I missing something or are people just cynical as always?

2 Likes

Its mostly confusion in my opinion. As there is a lot of contradicting and confusing information about OW2. As well as lack of information.

For example, the engine for OW2 is a modified version of OW1’s engine. This can be interpreted into different meanings.

i mean ya people are cynical but also they announced the second game in '19 and then dropped off the face of the earth, of course people are going to be upset.

30 Likes

I don’t think it’s that, it’s the lack of info and communication we’ve had since it’s announcement.

Not to mention the lack of content for the current live game, which has been left to rot pretty much.

30 Likes

Some people hating on it are jaded about Overwatch because they think the game has been getting increasingly worse over the last several patches. (I do too, but that’s why I’m looking forward to the Co-Op stuff.)

The rest are basically

3 Likes

I think the issue is that they announced it ‘to early’ for people’s standards.

2 Likes

Because of “2”. I hate it. It’s almost the same game , just new engine and new modes.

I don’t care one way or another about Overwatch 2. But I care about Overwatch 1, and if Overwatch 1 is being left to rot with no meaningful content updates for years because Overwatch 2 is being given priority, that’s something for me to be upset about.

If Blizzard actually made like a AAA studio and staffed enough team members to develop a new game without having to compromise their existing games, then I’d be far more receptive to the development of this new game.

23 Likes

Personally I feel the lack of content for the current game mixed with the silence about anything coming in overwatch 2 is really pushing people to dislike it.

Also this point, I mean it sounds ok but it doesnt sound like a new game, just a glorified DLC.

5 Likes

Lack of communication, lack of new heroes and maps for the base game, and an announcement years before its actual release. That about sums it up.

10 Likes

Mainly due to the cut of major PvP content ever since (more heroes and more maps). Personally I want OW2 as well. But it has no release date and it’s not gonna be released in 2021 either.

1 Like

They are killing ow with no content.
No content= no players
No players= no servers
Or
Server full of cheaters and bots like diablo games xd

And what is even more weird, is like they dont know about the existance of valorant or apex, where lot of their players has gone

2 Likes

Im not sure that “a lot of people” are yelling like that

I think it’s just a very small group who doesn’t care about pve and is mad they’ve left the first game out to dry for a long time while they work on OW2

1 Like

I am very excited and I don’t mind waiting until 2022 for OW2.
I just wish that Blizzard would talk a little more about OW2. It has been so long since blizzcon 2019 and I am afraid that they would show something soon and then they will not say anything again until next year.
I hate that so much

1 Like

Long story short it seems like their making a a second branch of overwatch to build content on.

Based around pvp halo esc levels, with RPG mechanics.

this will be the vessel for OW story, as well as a large cross promotional strategy were they can build and market heroes for effectively two games at once.

It will merge with the PVP content to be under one launcher and tittle. It is being integrated like an expansion, but also effectively a whole new style of game in it’s self.

Expect it to be a whole live service, much like a light MMO. And not a one and done kind of deal.

New Heroes, maps, and a new core game mode will be launching with it for the PVP side of things.

Use this if you don’t feel like explaining this to anyone else.

but lots of games do that. games take time to make? they explicitly said a few times its not coming soon, not even Blizzard soon.

1 Like

Because with all of the information Blizzard has shared about it, its seemingly more or less going to be a glorified DLC for OW1. Whether or not that’s a good or bad thing isn’t my point here, but keeping new heroes/new maps for something that’s (seemingly) going to amount to be DLC and a graphics update is not something very exciting for people who are primarily into Overwatch as a competitive platform.

1 Like

People wouldn’t care at all about OW2 had they not announced it super prematurely and admitted that the reason OW1 hasn’t gotten updated events, a ton of new skins / cosmetics, and the same amount of new heroes / maps is because they’ve shifted focus on working on OW2.

If they hadn’t done those things people would be super happy about a sequel.

1 Like

It’s coming latter then expected for sure. Especially considering that working from home more or less added 1.5x time to the project.

If they didn’t announce when they did, it would seem as if they gave up on OW when they stopped adding new heroes to the game.

Were as now we know not only is their a stock pile of content eventually coming are way, but theirs a whole new experience tide to it.