Why are people so unhappy with Mercy changes?

I don’t really think its strategy when you are forced to predict the future rather than take preventive actions.

Symmetra’s primary fire also got ruined in her rework. The tickrate makes it super difficult to attack armored opponents.

That’s what strategy is, son. Take chess, the most famous example of strategy in motion. You have to plan ahead, anticipate your opponent’s movements and make a critical decision from there.

Mercy used to require a LOT of strategy and planning.

7 Likes

actually it is. you’re supposed to predict enemy strategy so you can make counterplay

They did not change her core kit much, still left click and right click with the same movement ability, Only real difference to base kit is having rez on E. Yea her ult changed, but her base kit is pretty much the same.

1 Like

this is true

the main reason i dont like the rework was rez is near impossible to balance as a regular ability on a cd, and valk is essentially easy mode. two reasons that made mercy overtuned to the point they’re actually nerfing her core kit (hps in the recent nerf) to balance her out

1 Like

Unless there’s three tanks lol

I don’t see how its strategy to hold on to an ult waiting for a moment that may never come.

I feel both require planning and Valkyrie more so than Resurrection. There is nothing proactive in usage with resurrection. You flat out use it reactionary based which removes much of your decision making in the game. When people die you only have to decide when to use Resurrection in that moment as you literally cannot use it any other time.

Which deciding whether to use an ultimate then or later is literally the same with Valkyrie. However, with Valkyrie being more versatile and theoretically less raw power you have more situation to consider when to use it. Save yourself? Open up a fight? Avoid using it now since S76 might have ultimate? Get back to fight faster with flight and use the last 10 seconds to help team?

With Valkyrie you can attempt reactionary based things and proactive by predicting will this get usage based on enemy ultimates. To me there is planning on both accounts and strategy on both.

However, if you consider what both do Valkyrie is pretty much just a press Q that lasts 15 seconds that involves little effort. Resurrection is a press Q that involves little effort, but its just instantaneous.

We dont want more nerfs. We want a new rework. This nerf wont be the last

Honestly, at this point so many people would be satisfied with mercy getting something pretty lack luster as an E ability that is not as strong as bio nade or sleep dart and probably a single instant cast rez on Valkyrie.

You don’t purposely hold your ult for a juicy 4/5 man Rez. A tempo-Rez is far more useful in many situations. If you purposely waited for a 4/5-man Rez, you were just bad.

Resurrect as an ultimate had a similar line of questions. But if Resurrect failed, the impact would be far more noticeable than getting shot out of the sky in Valkyrie.

3 Likes

More useful than a re-occurring rez as an ability
And ult that allows you unparalleled mobility and chain heal/boost?

I don’t think so.

I’m not a fan of the design because I don’t like playing as it as much as the old and I don’t like playing against it as much as the old.

The general strategy I liked using in matches when I played DPS where my team was losing was to pick the enemy off one at time. Needless to say with res on a 30s cooldown that strategy is generally dead when a Mercy was in play. Additionally, once Mercy pops ult you frequently end up having to swap to ults to win the fight or retreat.

As Mercy, the ultimate let you turn a bad situation around especially one that was caused by ultimate abilities. I loathe losing fights to the enemy hitting Q. I want to lose because combat over several seconds went the other teams way not they had five people hit Q at once. I also find Valk boring. 90% of the time I am flying near max range from the fight to maximize the abilities effectiveness.

The design also suffers from balance issues that have taken a bunch of changes to get scaled down. The latest patch may or may not fix them we’ll have to see.

The design also seems to contradict itself at times.

The recent changes are also damaging one of the aspects of the character that of being a strong healer. Mercy did heal for 50 before but, for most of that time she wasn’t outgunned in the healing position. Lucio’s now only a couple points behind with amp it up and one cooldown press from Brig can heal as much as Mercy does in three seconds. Ana and Moira outhealer Mercy’s burst by 50% and 66%. Even in Ultimate Mercy won’t even be able to outheal Winston.

Now, Mercy has:

• 2 seconds of standing still
  • unearned rez
  • spectator cam ult
  • worse healing
  • No more hero moment
  • 11ish nerfs because the Rework has apparently been so bad and op that it warrants AN ENTIRE YEAR OF NERFS
1 Like

She still the only hero that got rez

I’m out of likes still

Looool Earn it? Please, holding m1 isn’t hard lmao

Fellow forum poster ShadowDragon has a great car analogy of why a number of people, including myself, generally hate reworks that are as atrocious as Mercy’s rework. I will expand on it by proclaiming that your experience playing your favorite heroes in Overwatch can be equated to living in a society that forbids private car ownership. Instead you drive cars of various makes and models from a publicly-owned and maintained fleet, and your choice of car to drive is as strictly limited as we currently have it for the heroes in Overwatch. There are only a little more than two dozen types of cars for one to choose from, each with its own handling and styling. You cannot mechanically modify any car, but you do have your freedom of choice for a few different standard paint colors. Naturally, everyone has their own preferences of cars and trucks and so each tends to gravitate towards driving their favorites. Now, a problem occurs with the air conditioning on certain type of car (the “Mercy” model) in this fleet, and to have it repaired means the fix is forcefully and unconditionally applied to every car of that model, which is of course, also driven by everyone.

This is how Blizzard “fixed the air conditioning”:

Since everyone that plays the same hero drives the same car, some people will end up liking that truck and defend it to the ground, while the folks that brought their car in to have its AC fixed are left wanting their car back, and are told to deal with the heartbreak of never being able to drive it again.

Why not fix the AC in the car and create a separate lowrider truck to appease both crowds?

Fun is subjective, and it turns out that I and many other people enjoy playing Mass-Rez Mercy much more over Moth Mercy. Despite the overlap in their base kit, Mercy 1.0 and Mercy 2.0 play differently enough from each other to warrant being two separate heroes. We are happy for the people who were able to adjust to and enjoy the playstyle of the Mercy rework. As for the rest of us old Mercy players? We were robbed of our hero and want her back to enjoy again, even if it means Mass Rez came back with more strings attached to its ability (LOS restrictions, casting time, etc).

2 Likes

other healers too hard to mash into every team comp. clearly mercy needed a nerf to let them be viable /s