White Box on the side of screen (covers chat)

Ever since I updated my game for the Pachimari update yesterday (03/09), there is a white box on the left side of my screen that covers where chat would be.

This white box also appears on the menus, which covers up stuff like Career Profile, Hero Gallery, Social, etc.

Does anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

I have the same issue

Can you post a screenshot? Otherwise I am suspecting you have a third-party overlay interfering. Troubleshooting here:

Hm, in the screenshot, the white box does not appear. I will go look at the forums for overlay-related issues. I’ll see if I can find anything.

If it is not appearing in the Overwatch Screenshot it is definitely not related to the Overwatch game software itself then. Note you may be able to capture an alternate screenshot if you have an NVidia graphics card and use the NVidia Shadowplay Software (it’s default keybinding when activated will be Alt+F1).

Here’s a screenshot. I switched to Windowed Mode to take the screenshot and the white box is still there. https: //imgur. com/g7xjne4

Image for reference:

Imgur

Do you use a MSI motherboard? The approximate size is similar to another overlay error I have commonly seen with Nahimic Audio Mirroring Software that is pre-installed with MSI motherboard software. If that program is installed (check your installed programs list on your control panel), try removing it entirely to see to see if this issue goes away.

2 Likes

I don’t see a NAMS, but I do have SCM. Do you suggest that I remove that program?

Can you elaborate that acronym?

I also got some details, that might be Discord interferring. If you have that program installed, try disabling their overlay featueres.

1. Open Discord
  2. Open the Discord settings (look for the :gear: icon next to your Discord Tag in the lower left corner of the window).
  3. Click Overlay in the left side navigation pane.
  4. Toggle the “Enable Overlay” option from on to off.

I tried disabling every overlay I could think off (Discord and Windows Gaming), the white square still appears on my end.

The screenshot sent by the other user is exactly what I’m seeing on my end.

I use windows 10 Pro on a Corsair ONE.

I have an MSI motherboard, but no trace of Nahimic Audio Mirroring anywhere.

This looks like the feature that is on the PTR rn… but I don’t think its that because the square is too bog for that.

I just installed the latest drivers of my nvidia 1070 and the white square disappeared

This program is the System Control Manager by MSI. I tried disabling overlay for Discord but the white box still appears

Hey there!

System Control Manager is extra software form MSI that should be safe to remove. It works similarly to other free software they provide like Dragon Center.

As this user suggested, updating the video drivers is always a good place to go when troubleshooting graphical issues like this one. Video drivers updates for Nvidia and AMD also tend to update their related software programs like GeForce and Radeon Settings which include Screen Recording and Overlay features.

Most commonly things like White Boxes over the screen are Overlays so please be sure to check the System Tray for any extra stuff! I’d also recommend having the game closed prior to exiting out the applications then close out of anything that’s not Windows / the game itself. Wait to re-enable background apps until after the issue is resolved, then re-enable them one at a time.

If a problem program is found it’s normally easy enough to leave it disabled. Though please be sure to report it to both Blizzard and the software developer for the product. Keep in mind the Blizzard side of programs made by other companies is just for our support staff. We cannot effect changes on programs made by other companies.

I do hope the info helps! Let us know how things go!

Hm, I tried to update my video drivers, which is both the NVIDIA and the standard Intel one, but I have the latest ones available. I cannot think of any other programs that could be causing this white screen. I checked Discord and disabled the overlay feature, but it didn’t fix :confused:

Hey again,

Lets go ahead and submit a ticket with an attached MSinfo. This document contains a list of running apps and tons of other info our support staff can use to further assist in the topic.

Cheers!

Ticket submited. Thanks for the help everyone!

That’s not a bug you silly gooses. That’s NVIDIA Reflex Flash Indicator you somehow enabled via the Video settings to test input latency. o_o

5 Likes

Yep, I confirm. That’s nVidia Reflex.