When did Overwatch become more frustrating for you and less fun?

When my choices became hard stuck between Reinhardt or main healers if a working comp needed to be made.

My response: Play mystery heroes between long bouts of ignoring this game because I don’t want to play babysitting roles.

Since they added doomfist to this game.

1 Like

When brigette was released

since every game i play is 5 dps

2 Likes

Brigitte’s release
Hanzo’s buff

Those two updates killed my love for this game. I still play, but it’s not near what it once was. I find myself playing more and more of games like osu! and OSRS and less Overwatch.

when this horrible thing happened.

1 Like

For me, there wasn’t a given point at which it suddenly became frustrating. Just slowly over time, I became more and more aware of the myriad problems this game has, and slowly over time, they became more and more inexcusable. Like, the first bad balance patch wasn’t a big deal. By the twentieth, though, I was pretty frustrated. Stuff like that. I definitely feel like the tipping point was around the start of 2018/late 2017, where the cons really began to outweigh the pros, but it wasn’t any single event that caused it.

It kinda sucks, which itself sucks because Overwatch has huge potential. Overwatch, currently, exists in a state of stagnation. It is not growing, and that lack of growth is potentially more harmful than decay because it leads to complacency on part of the developers–rather than seeing failure and feeling that they should correct course, they see “this is fine” and keep doing the same old same old.

To be more specific, balancing has been… atrocious. That’s an entire can of worms I don’t really want to open, but I think only one balance patch in the past year really struck me as more good than bad. Probably the biggest offender was the Support Balance Changes in August. Events have been overwhelmingly lackluster, ongoing issues with matchmaking, comp, cheaters, etc have gone mostly unaddressed, and developer silence is at an all-time high. Content release continues to be painfully lethargic, partially aggravated that most content release adds nothing to the core of Overwatch gameplay, and lore basically doesn’t exist outside of two mild additions per year.

They need to make big, meaningful, groundbreaking plays. I know that’s nebulous to say, but that’s because they have a tonne of options. For example, a campaign mode, or even just a generic dedicated PvE mode. That’d be huge. Adding new events would be another option.

Increasing content release rate would be another avenue to help with the game, particularly balance-neutral content like skins, maps, social features, game modes, and other miscellaneous items.

Also, just increasing developer engagement with the community. They need to communicate, they need to be utterly clear about what’s going on, they need to be specific. They need to not just say “we’re listening” but show that they actually are.

2 Likes

Anytime I felt myself becoming burned out and raging, I would just stop playing. I’ve taken a few breaks from OW now to catch up on my back log, and when I come back, I feel refreshed and focus on just having fun more than anything else.

1 Like

I don’t feel like Brig and Moira were good additions to the game. It’s so easy for them to kill high skill heros

1 Like

omg, thank you for such a well written response my dude!! i really agree with you on a lot of your points, especially with just how horrible the balancing of the game is and how lacking it is in certain areas. very good response!! ^^

1 Like

November of 2017 is when I first complained that the game stopped being fun. End of January 2018 is when I uninstalled the game, and I have not played since.

As for changes they could make to bring back the enjoyment: It’s rather difficult because the game was marketed for casual players and a diverse playerbase, but it then became increasingly competitive. Balance changes are difficult as it is incredibly difficult to balance the game for competitive and casual players at the same time. I personally wish they were to focus on fun gameplay and game content rather than perfect balance and competitiveness, but with the community being so mixed I think you’d only swap one angry crowd for another.

So, in conclusion… I don’t think Overwatch is fixable. It’ll be playable, but they will never get back the excitement they had during the first year. I don’t think the game appeals to casual players as much anymore, while I’m sure there are some who are going to stick with it through rain and high waters.

4 Likes

i feel like with correct balancing (like, blizzard using their brains for once when coming up with nerfs/buffs), they’d maybe be fine? but nw, i agree with you. while i think they have potential to be good additions to the game, they’re just very frustrating to deal with damage wise at the moment

After i hit mid masters. I just lost the urge to play. It is way to serious to the point where its almost like grown men crying and screaming at portions of the match. You can dominate the whole match but 1 teamfight you get wiped and the tilt begins. It honestly just sucked and was zero fun for me. I decided to let my account decay and now i just try to stay low diamond high plat. I also have more fun at this level because i can play with more of my lower ranked friends.

14 mercy nerfs pissed me off as well, i wont lie

2 Likes

After Winder Wonderland 2017

1 Like

The Mercy Rework was the beginning of the end for me. Honestly, they should’ve re-reworked Mercy after major nerf number 5 or so. 14 (or however many there were it’s hard to keep track) is ridiculous and Blizz should’ve put their big boy pants on and admitted that it was a bad rework.

4 Likes

The moment when OWL was a thing and content/lore got nerfed harder than Doomfist D:

Ah, good times.

4 Likes

This tbh.

She was stupidly OP when she was introduced and is still bad to play against and the META she enabled… I hated deathball, i liked dive a bit and now were back to deathball again. Idk, its just not funny for me if my chances at winning is higher when i pick someone who does AOE damage instead of taking out picks.

1 Like

Also, for me the fun stopped when it became less relevant who played better for most of the game but who won the first teamfight and from that it just snowballs. Whoever has more Qs ready wins the teamfight, regardless of the individual skill of each player.

2 Likes

i definitely feel this one,

1 Like

Well yes and no, i mean, sure, playing as a master in plat/dia is nice because you play with ppl who take the game serious but not too much and who somewhat know what theyre doing.

But you know, me playing in bronze is also fun for me because I am much better. Sure, i could play with me mates and we would have a good time together, but I could also just stomp the enemy if we are gonna loose… You get what I mean? You play kinda safeguarded because you are Masters and the rest is below.