When did blizzard stop extending mutes for abusive chat and start giving perma bans?

Cos they’re an unpleasant antisocial element that apparently can only be played with if gagged? :man_shrugging:t2:

I’m guessing radiant is the equivalent of GM? Players reaching their standard rank by just being better isn’t an argument against communication :face_with_raised_eyebrow: more interesting would be someone’s win/loss in Overwatch playing at their proper rank against others at their proper rank comparing things like everyone in chat, no one in chat, etcetcetc.

I’m not a “everyone must be in chat” person either :man_shrugging:t2: I’ll listen and rarely speak, but many of the people in chat are less useful than the game audio :roll_eyes: I just think being abusive should cop a penalty bigger than simply not being allowed to be abusive anymore :man_shrugging:t2: Specifically, being booted out of the game. In other team based sports/games that I play for fun I don’t expect to be able to keep playing if I promise not to speak if I previously spent every other game this far hurling insults at everyone.

I got suspended for basically flaming on smurfs in comp and hogs in DM. That is the only instance when I’m mildly toxic. And I don’t regret it.

Otherwise I love this game and people who play it. I don’t join VC because of toxicity. And I report every instance of abusive behavior. But at the same time I get extremely frustrated when games are just not fair.

And yes, I think toxic people should be removed from the game.

Some people are just toxic. Some people simply get triggered because some games are unfair/not fun and unhealthy.

If Blizz wants fun and safe environment they should start from creating fun and healthy games and fix matchmaking, smurfing issues etc first. That’s my opinion.

Remove All Chat. There I solved half of the abusive chat.

^ This.

Define toxic and hostile.

2 Likes

I cant imagine the number of people perma banned for abusive chat is high enough for Blizz to even consider the profit they would make from it. A hostile environment isn’t something that keeps players coming back and therefore isn’t good for buisiness.

If you lack such poor impulse control that you can’t avoid being abusive thats on you. The vast majority of the player base manages just fine.

8 Likes

Dang if only there was a way to avoid being muted and banned. Oh well such is life right?

If they are already perma muted - how is it a distraction?

1 Like

You would be surprised.

You mean I can’t use in-game tools like filter, mute, squelch, avoid? I have to perma someone because I didn’t like the word “gap” ? If only there was a way to game and be gamers and companies still understood that. Oh well.

Nah you can. Those are tools to use and I advocate using those before reporting people all the time. However I find it humorous that people have gotten banned or muted for abusive chat. It is incredibly easy to avoid.

2 Likes

The vulgarities, slurrs, and blatant discrimination are easy to avoid. Agree with punishments on those.

The tt, and immature banter like “haha garb lul” used to be the spice of gaming life. Not seeing that passion in my games anymore. A sign the game is dying, or people are dead inside. When anything you type could bring you closer to a perma.

I think the people who rage and take it out on team mates would rage and throw games.

I’m glad they are gone.

It means a person who can’t handle being a reasonable person in a game, is not someone you have to deal with anymore.

Really? it seems VERY 2021. Play nicely or get out.

People who can’t learn to read a room will end up in a different room.

1 Like

The reasonable person handles a bit of salt.

Just look at the streamers. They do all of the above, but show up on the bnet launcher for drops. If they’re model citizens, can we use their language and behaviour as yardsticks? They’re certainly good to have in your games because they are the highest rated.

No wonder the game is dying. There is a limit to how many rules, constraints, lockdowns people will put up with before they drop your franchise.

Yep, and it takes a lot of reports. It takes work to get banned.

People who manage to get a ban though this REALLY worked at it, or have some pretty harsh mental issues.

Now, I’m not one to punishing mental issues, but I also wouldn’t want someone with them in my restaurant screaming at my customers either.

It isn’t a free speech thing. it is a “here is a low bar which you have to jump as far as being a decent person, and some people can’t do that.”

There is a limit to how much abuse someone will take in a game as well.

Blizzard gets to set the balance there, and honestly, I don’t fault them for their choice.

Do we have any numbers on this btw? I would love to know how many times people can false my “gg” before I lose all my hard work. Because I’m clearly not playing nice or fair (the rigged matchmaker already does that for me).

There was a post, but it was quite a few over a fair amount of games. It is a moving average, and if you get over a certain limit, it is over for you.

If a player does not act like some punk kid whose parents never cared enough to crack them a good one for acting like a brat in public, then that player will never have to worry about a ban for toxic behavior.

Cause and effect: act like a brat and get a permanent timeout. Seems fair to me.

2 Likes

That seems more like snowflakes trying to reverse social justice for being bullied on the playground once too many times. Sticks and stones is more powerful than false activism that is really just a redirect for alt account sales.

1 Like

OW community has the worst of 2 worlds, honestly. OW has some good amount of real toxic people, and there’s also some good amount of real sensitive ones. Normal people got caught in between.

Those who are toxic are toxic enough to warrant a perma ban easily, and there’s those who take any bluntness in conveying any message as toxic.

1 Like

Look, I see every toxic person leaving as a win for the game. 100% would report toxic people again.

4 Likes