When did blizzard stop extending mutes for abusive chat and start giving perma bans?

So, in the past, for abusive chat blizzard would keep extending your mute/silence.
This makes so much sense for abusive chat.
But then they started giving 30 day suspensions and then finally perma banning for abusive chat. When did they start doing this and why do they do it instead of permanently muting?
It’s not like people reported for abusive chat are ruining the games, they are just being toxic and ruining chat. Muting solves the problem. I can understand banning for gameplay sabotage, but for abusive chat it doesn’t make much sense to me why they chose that over permanent mutes/silence.

5 Likes

It’s almost like they want you to buy another account.

50 Likes

Probably because nobody wants to be around a toxic and hostile community.

37 Likes

Green Arrow on the mark with this one.

Muting doesn’t solve the problem, at all. You can’t communicate during a TEAM game. I would even go as far and say it causes more of a problem due to your team seeing that you are muted and obviously a disruption to the community, who wants a person like that on their team?

Ban was the only solution.

4 Likes

the majority of players do not communicate anyway. Who wants a mercy otp with a private profile that isn’t in voice and has chats muted anymore than someone who is permanently silenced?

4 Likes

Not sure. Would rather just give someone toxic a permanent silence. Throwers and cheaters are the real problem… toxic people are just an issue

2 Likes

It was quite long ago mate, like 2 years ish?
There is still the article of 2018 saying they were going to do it soon so I assume early 2019 or late 2018.

1 Like

I’d much rather have that Mercy on my team than some toxic jerk.

25 Likes

If someone got tons of warning and extension mutes, yet despite all that, continue their behavior to be toxic, getting a perma ban is to be expected.

16 Likes

but a perma mute solves the problem and is better than a perma ban. I am talking about abusive chat not gameplay sabotage

2 Likes

There is nothing more or less to it.

Blizzard doesn’t really care what you do or do not say in voice communication or text chat.

They (Blizzard) used the hurt feelings mob as a springboard to gain virtue points and sell more product. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone dressed as an orc on the corner of the street pushing the new World of Warcraft expansion, or Overwatch 2 the DLCeequal.

2 Likes

I mean if someone keeps breaking the rules and refuses to better themselves they deserve the bans.

5 Likes

Only because someone is toxic verbally - doesn’t mean that they don’t try at the game

2 Likes

hey there, please name a single game whose DLC is bigger than the game itself, and is released more than five years later with a full engine upgrade

Per forum code of conduct, you are not supposed to mention or complain about previous bans.

There became a point where it stopped being effective. Now, I think it’s Warning ban, Warning ban, Warning Ban, Perma Ban. I had a friend who has lost 2 accounts because he stopped caring about it, and wanted to test the thresholds, or something like that.

Which is solved by a mute. You need people to play muted for them to correct themselvse (cognitive behavioural therapy). You don’t toss them away for good - they’ll just ruin someone’s fun elsewhere.

No reason to ban someone offline when a simple mute solves all the issues and corrects others.

The fact that it doesn’t even de-escalate and/or revert, even after thousands of hours implies:

Basically. It’s a pay2win pay2toxic system. As your main account packs on the miles your chances of perma just keep creeping up. There is a reason plat borders can’t even type “gg” anymore for fear of losing their digital assets. In fact, this could be part of the reason there aren’t even plat borders anymore. Period. Everyone plays on burners.

2 Likes

Let’s break it down.

The added PVE content that Blizzard wanted to enhance the original game with was incompatible with their old engine.

There was already event based PVE content in the original, they are just expanding on it.

The new engine doesn’t expand on the PVP elements that already exist in the game now.

Development on the original has all but ceased to exist, but all you have to do is wait for the DLCeequal and you will automatically gain all the “new” PVP content.

You aren’t wrong in saying what you said. It’s just what you said leaves out a metric ____ ton of other, important, information.

You want a DLC done right?

The Witcher 3
Heart of Stone, or Blood and Wine

Both shining examples of what a DLC should be.

What Blizzard is doing is like DLC+, and they have people fooled into thinking it’s more, (looks directly at you).

1 Like

implies that the slap on the wrists of “silencing” did nothing, so more drastic measures were needed.