What's with all this standing around?

I wish. It’d be better if defenders spawned forward until maybe 10 seconds before the match starts, so can’t be abused then. Then they could lower prep time a bit.

1 Like

Newsflash. You can be within the minimum requirements and still have long loading times.

Once again, a few extra seconds is not an issue.

I have a $3500 rig and I am almost always the first in. It isn’t a problem.

1 Like

Not 80 seconds long… At the very maximum someone with even an old type hard drive would be waiting 10 to 15 seconds… we are moving into a new console generation… most people are on much better hardware now than when the game was released…It is time to lower the waiting times…

It’s “a few seconds” that adds up over time…especially when you consider it is combined with waiting times such as queues and loading times…

1 Like

I use it. Especially on support, I need to pick last to pick around my team. I need them to have time to pick all that and still leave me time to get to the point (on defense) before the match starts.

The average GPU on Steam is a 1060 (I think, might be 1050ti but not sure), lots of people don’t have the nicest gear out there and yes, it can take sometimes up to 80 seconds for every model to load in on the highest quality. And Overwatch, being the great devs that they are, give these specific players a great time to load in models and such.

The irony is that if you insist on raising the hardware and connection requirements of the game you will exclude players. Resulting in higher queue times.

Meaning any effort to reduce wait times via setup will counter any potential gain you have.

The focus should be on queue times. Not on setup times.

The goal of a game dev is to make the game accessible to a wider range of hardware. Not a smaller one.

You can handle the extra seconds. It won’t break you.

1 Like

You don’t exclude those people, they can still play the game but they will just be at a disadvantage… Which they are already at a disadvantage being on poor hardware…. And this would be reflected in their rank anyway so it would take into account that disadvantage of them loading in late… We shouldn’t lower the quality of the game for everyone just because a few people are on extremely slow hardware… And if that’s the direction we want to go, then why don’t we cap the game to 60 FPS…after all not everyone has 144hz monitor…

1 Like

you say this as like its a couple of guys on the enemy team, there are a TON of people that don’t have up-to-2020 standards of hardware, and forcing them to suffer a competitive disadvantage because you want 3 seconds is just absurd.

Along with their team…

Thus the setup period is longer so that it is less likely to happen.

Good news! They haven’t! They set the quality Standard years ago on setup.

Apples to oranges.

One is the base level requirement to play the game from start to finish. The other is just higher performance.

1 Like

As I said, their MMR would compensate for that…

Yes, they set the quality standard years ago… Years…now is 2020 and it is time to reduce the waiting times… They have already reduced them a bit after I suggested it before… they evidently agreed with me…I just want them to reduce it more…

That wasn’t an apples to oranges…more frames means you literally see more information…A person on 60 FPS has less information than someone 144… Meaning they don’t have the “full” experience… From start to finish…

1 Like

What about on Ipad, if they release on mobile does reinhardt still need to wait?

1 Like

That’s why in extreme competitive environments (like the OWL) they are all on a 240hz monitor (Or more, but they are usually the exact same league wide). In ranked, it isn’t THAT serious, so they don’t need to enforce such restraints.

Cool, so if it’s not that serious, it doesn’t matter if a few people are unfortunate enough to have such a slow system that they load in late…

1 Like

Amazing.

The level of self entitlement is so high in this.

You are quite literally saying “Others should lose MMR and SR so I wait 20 seconds less per match.”

These people are quite capable of playing the game. They just have longer load times.

You are advocating trading in one players experience (making something tolerable turn into something intolerable) so that you can take a perfectly reasonable experience into something you won’t care about in two weeks time.

Sorry, but no. It makes zero sense.

1 Like

Meanwhile you are saying that their obsession with a number should take precedence over my ability to play the game instead of standing around waiting for a timer…

Players on bad hardware should expect to be at a disadvantage…people who are loading in so slowly they don’t even load in within 20 seconds are already at more significant disadvantage in terms of frame rate… I would argue a lower frame rate has a bigger negative effect than loading in late… so why aren’t you advocating for a 60 FPS lock…if you’re so concerned for people on bad hardware? In fact maybe you should even argue for a 30 FPS lock…The double standards are evident…if my having to wait isn’t intolerable, then nor is loading in slightly late…

What I am saying makes perfect sense… As I said before they have already reduced the time… They have already acknowledged that the longer one has to wait the greater is the sting of defeat…so make us wait less…

1 Like

It’s to give true Gamers™ time to take a crap in the bucket under their desks before the round starts.

1 Like

People who buy a game should expect the same performance on day one as they receive four years later.

You are advocating that they don’t deserve consideration. Why? Because you want to play 20 seconds sooner?

Sorry. I prefer having my entire team loaded in rather then wondering why one of our tanks is missing.

You can wait. You’ll live. They need the load time. You need the patience.

1 Like

Should they though? Should they really expect that… What happens when overwatch 2 comes around? With the shinier graphical engine…you don’t think that’s going to put the requirements up?

as I’ve already said, and just to reiterate, they have already reduced the time after I suggested it… And they need to do it again…

I can wait? I can live without it? Of course I can… What kind of argument is that…? I am requesting a quality of life change that will be beneficial and enjoyable overall…just because I can wait doesn’t mean I should have to… It almost takes me back to the same ridiculous arguments against the inclusion of open queue that people would make… “Just learn to wait”…

I believe one thing we could do is when the game is opened on a fresh account for the very first time some kind of benchmark could be run… And if you fail this benchmark which tests your loading time you will given a clear warning that your system is insufficient…

1 Like

The answer to your post is simple.

If your waiting allows other people to get fully loaded in where as you not waiting means the quality of matches drops because less people are loading in on time then the obvious choice is…

You can wait.

1 Like

So, and this is really an assumption, if loading times are indeed the reason for the long assembly /preparation times, then where do we draw the line… What about the people who only load in after two minutes… Do we extend the initial time to compensate for them as well? My argument is quite simple… Technology and hardware is improving quickly … With faster drives becoming very common nowadays…etc…therefore, if your assumption is true then we should be reducing the time with the progression of computing standards…

my suggestion improves the quality of matches by lessening the sting of defeat, by allowing players to get into the action more quickly…what you are saying is literally entitlement… That just because you are too slow to load in that everyone else should have to suffer as well…i say no…players who load extremely late , who are concerned about their rank dropping, have other modes that they can play without significant penalty… For example quick play…they can go there stop making the rest of us suffer through long and boring timers…sorry pal, but this is a game and I play it to have fun, not stand around…for those of you on 90s hardware there is always quickplay…

1 Like