What's happened to the cinematics and story?

One of the biggest deals about OW2 from the stories perspective was that “The gang is back together” OW is back.

In OW1 we had a bunch of cinematics that directly progressed the lore and we got to a point that OW got back together.

I was expecting to get more cinematics about what’s next, but in 2 years we’ve gotten basically nothing.

What happened to the story? where are OW? Why aren’t we getting updates?

Most of the cinematics we’re getting now are ads for collabs which is super cringe…

15 Likes

Its dead, the only story we are gonna get is map lore and pre match character banter. With how much of a mess the writing was i’m kind of glad the PVE is dead. The last writer in charge was terrible and was just about the final nail in the coffin before microsoft hammered it.

Currently stopping evil robots for the 1000th time

We aren’t because it would hint at an actual story, if they hint at something interesting it means they have to use their resources to expand it. They are just playing it safe with new characters who don’t have any influence in the story.

8 Likes

The Hanamura estate massacre was justified

Those people were criminals

Sic transit gloria

Layoff diff hurts huge here.

2 Likes

More seriously i think there´s just less budget for the game now, i did like the story, faulty as it might have been. Tiz a shame.

3 Likes

It´s not much, but all the cinematics and cutscenes to answer this was in that PVE event/mode.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, what was the release date for that again…

Same thing that happened to the rest of the game. “New” Blizzard got their hands on it.

2 Likes

Are we ever getting that India mission? I know they fired all the PvE devs but that mission was being developed since 2019 and they’ve show parts of the cutscenes for it.

They should just release that, and then definitively tell everyone what the plan is going forward since the story is no longer being advanced through gameplay.

If they can type out devs blogs so often, surely they can address what’s going on with the work they’ve already done that’s in limbo.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s very disappointing that they stopped working on the lore and laid off all the people who work on it. This game has really good heroes that people love. All they’re doing is selling skins. It’s short sighted to not build on the story. That’s how businesses work today. Always have to have growth and run everything bare bones.

6 Likes

Which is dumb because lore centred media can be hugely profitable and bring tons of traction to the game. Just look at what Arcane did for LoL.

9 Likes

That’s incredibly sad.

The story was a big reason I fell in love with OW and the cinematics were amazing. But if that’s the case, I’m truly saddened and it kills a lot of passion I have for OW, well what’s left of it that is.

I’m shocked that they’ve seemingly just scrapped it? Why not release it?

It’s so sad, OW used to be more, now it’s just a shop. And the skins are super expensive and fomo based.

It’s a shell of what it used to be.

2 Likes

rigging has massive implications. such as massive layoffs. cause and effect.
when players aren’t happy everything crumbles.

A lot of the people behind art and lore are gone. (Fired). They’ve been let go because firm’s ultimate goal is profit. (That’s how all firms work).

They don’t think about social economic well being enough- and they don’t realize the profit and customer loyalty that comes with that.

1 Like

Trash, such a dumb decision. I guess they really don’t care at all, sad to see.

1 Like

This ^

It’s annoying how hyped people were when they released the k-pop “cinematic” without any expectations for future cinematics being solely created for advertisements.

The biggest L Overwatch has ever taken was firing the narrative team over the marketing team.

5 Likes

Most people on these forums who claim to care about the story barely interact with it anyway. Actually that probably extends to the rest of the community too to be honest.

The funniest thing to me was people believing it in the first place lol

Maybe someday they’ll update us on whether or not PvE is coming.

Until then, Microsoft will continue to fire people.

Maybe they’ll make a show or something on what will happen, but the PVE is dead in the game.