🛡 "What's going on?" - Every Reinhardt Main Ever

i don’t think shield jump is broken but the shield into swing definitely is…

Just downloaded the patch. Lets see what Blizzard has done shall we.

1 Like

Keep us updated! Interested to see what happens.

With three more hours logged as Reinhardt I will list what Blizzard changed and how it feels.

Hammer Swing:
What Blizzard changed - Nothing
How it feels - On release of the game Hammer Swing was criticized heavily. Players were often getting hit when they thought they should not and the hit registration didn’t quite match up to the knock back. I believe Hammer Swing was codded originally as client side hit detection. If it was Reinhardt would be included in the “favor the shooter” mechanic. After the 2017 anniversary event Blizzard seemingly re coded it to server side, which is why they had to increase the swing timer to match up the hit marker and the knock back. My personal belief is this should be reverted to client side.

Fire-Strike:
What Blizzard changed - Nothing
How it feels - Fire-strike feels like it has always felt. The hit box hasn’t changed nor the damage or damage potential. An observation I made a while ago seems to be persistent. Fire-Strike has a wonky hit box where you can dodge one and get hit by another one by the same Reinhardt player even though you were in the same spot as Fire-Strike passes you. This of course could be due to latency and I have no idea how to fix the issue, if there is one.

Charge:
What Blizzard changed -
BUG FIXES
Reinhardt

Fixed a bug that allowed Reinhardt to pin targets that were behind him when using Charge
Fixed a bug that prevented Reinhardt from pinning some targets when he turned during Charge

How it feels - With the exception of the fix where Blizzard implemented more checks the server was making to see if Charge was successful (which they then reverted), Charge feels exactly like it has always felt. Looking closer at this one “pin targets that were behind him” In over 2000 games I have only had this happen when I used charge twice. Though, twice is enough to know it needed to be fixed. As far as I can tell it was, but with only 3 hours of play time since the patch it will take much longer to see if it is in fact fixed.

Earthshatter:
What Blizzard changed -

Developer Comments We’ve given Earthshatter a complete overhaul to combat inconsistencies with its performance. These changes will make Earthshatter’s behavior more predictable and effective.

Earthshatter

Now consistently hits enemies near walls
No longer hits enemies that enter the damage cone after the “wave” has passed that area
No longer damages enemies behind barriers blocking it, even if the barrier is later dropped or destroyed
Always travels up inclines and around the payload

BUG FIXES
Reinhardt

Fixed a bug that allowed Reinhardt to use Earthshatter while standing on an enemy’s head
Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Reinhardt’s Earthshatter from hitting enemies standing on a payload
Fixed a bug that prevented Reinhardt’s Earthshatter from traveling up certain inclines

How it feels:
It feels oh so good! Realistically now Earthshatter is the most reliable part of Reinhardt’s kit aside from his shield. Offensively ES hits everything it’s supposed to. Very few times will you have to question yourself as to whether someone was standing in ES or not. Does latency still come into play when using Earthshatter? Yes, I had a Moira fade out of an ES I threw out, and it looked as though she was hit. This one instance doesn’t really bother me though because 1. It was a close call, and 2. The rest of her team was hit. Defensively, from my 3 hours testing it, there are no bugs in regards to getting hit by ES through, or around, or under your shield. It may have some issues here and there but overall I would cal this skill “FIXED”.

Conclusion:

With Earthshatter in its current form, with its reliability, my opinion is that Reinhardt is more dangerous now then he has ever been. A good Shatter will demoralize a team and if it connects they will be expecting another. Counter switching happens much earlier then it previously did. If you don’t have a shield to contend with Shatter, you will after your team gets wiped the first time.

Obviously this is my interpretation. We may have to wait a while longer to see if other Reinhardt players see the same thing, or as I eagerly await see other things I missed.

As far as Charge is concerned. I would guess Blizzard is reluctant to make changes to Charge because if it was as reliable as Shatter is now it may place Reinhardt on Doomfist’s level of 1 shot potential. Yes, Doomfist can use his more often, but if Charge had the hit detection of Shatter Reinhardt would be next up in the shoot for the forums to complain about.

2 Likes

All great feedback! Thanks for doing that work.

I get worried when I see things like “If Reinhardt’s kit was reliable and not buggy, he’d be so powerful.” It worries me because I don’t want it to somehow result in nerfs to our big guy. He’s easily countered by Zarya bubbles, Orisa, other Reinhardts, CCs, and range. His kit has never changed and I personally find him to be one of the most balanced heroes.

It’s good news about ES, but just as a heads up, there is a confirmed deadspot on the top of inclines in the center of ES that consistently does not connect. Several people have been able to recreate it several times; so I suggest still being wise with ES on inclines.

I have to wonder though, do you think Reinhardt would be at risk of getting looked at for potential nerfs if his kit finally works? If so, what do you think they’d fix? I personally don’t see anything in his kit that is too strong, as only the best Reinhardts end up dangerous because they use every element in his kit effectively…which goes for every hero in the game.

For some reason this got removed from the live notes and is still not fixed in 1.28.01.

As far as charge goes, It still buggy as ever, I had moments i directly charge someone dead center and it boops them away.

Earthshatter while much better than before, it is still buggy on the hit detection.
I had people in front of me with no obstacles not get hit, while their allies did.

Also earthshatter does not work on heroes during transformative effects like for instance D.va entering her new mech or doomfist ulting AFTER you shatter or when landing.
There appears to be immunity frames for some heroes.

1 Like

I had a game earlier where I was knocked down after the animation was completed. I’ll have to do more testing with and against it.

Hopefully it is fixed. Maybe it could have been a latency thing? Although I hate blaming everything on latency. It seems like such a scapegoat.

I believe this is what everyone who plays an updated/reworked hero wants, whether it’s Sombra, Mercy, Sym, Rein, and others similarly effected.
We want some meaningful dialogue.

1 Like

I totally advocate for some sort of tame version of a damn press conference at this point, lol.

Maybe we’ll get something at Blizzcon?

1 Like

Somehow I feel we still wouldn’t get the answers with the detail and back-and-forth we want, just what’s good for press. Maybe a stream? In front of the fireplace again?

I was watching a Rein main’s stream last night. Over the course of the stream I witnessed several of the supposedly fixed Rein bugs occur. Including but not limited to:

• Someone behind charging Rein getting charged.
  • ES completely missing someone standing in front of a Rein and not even on a stairs.
  • Rein charging right through someone’s ghost while turning.
  • Multiple times people “bouncing” off a charging Rein.

I also witnessed a never before seen Rein charge bug probably introduced by the attempt to fix Brig’s shield bash / Rein charge interaction.

When the Brig attempted to shield bash the charging Rein, the Brig was knocked to the floor, the Rein ‘ghosted’ through her body, then kept charging to pin a second person that had been right behind her.

My guess is the bug is that the charge pin code triggered at the same time as the bash / charge conflict code triggered which resulted in the ghosting Rein pinning the behind player while Brig dropped like a deadweight.

2 Likes

I mean, I’m not even disappointed anymore. I’m just used to it at this point.

It is annoying, but I’ve been dealing with it for over two years now and adapting as I go. No hero is perfect, but I’d be lying if I said Reinhardt didn’t have the most bugged kit in the roster.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Nerf was not needed. Already so difficult to play rein in stun meta and you want to make it worse?

You don’t even mention it in patch notes?

Yeah that’s infuriating.

2 Likes

From my original post after the patch went live I gave my feedback and welcomed the feedback from others. Good to see that there are those finding issues with “fix” that was implemented. I hope to expound on the difference of what I see to what other see.

Like I previously stated, this happens so rarely that I could not just force it to happen. If Reinhardt is still pinning people behind him Blizzard needs to address this further.

So far, after the patch, I have yet to see this happen. The closest I have come was the aforementioned Moira, and a Shatter I let loose in Graviton towards another Reinhardt who was Charging me. I personally think the Shatter should have connected but Overwatch thought different.

Not sure what someone’s “ghost” is, but if you are talking about their character frame, then yes this is still a thing. Like I said, Charge is still exactly like it has always been, not sure if Blizzard did anything to it.

I have not been against many Bridgette players since the patch, so witnessing this hasn’t been available.

With all that being said. I have been attempting to capture clips of Reinhardt bugs over the last week. While doing so I ended up making a short clip featuring what it is like to play in my region with my latency.

Disclaimer: I don’t play a whole lot of Tracer. This was in an Ai game while waiting for a few friends to log on.

This clip is the very reason I play “latency proof” heroes. Even if Shatter were to not hit at least I have a 2000 HP shield and 500 health to counter the lag. This is also a benchmark people can use to see what it may be like for me playing Reinhardt versus those who play in the lower band latency areas. This would probably be my defining clip as to why “Favor the Shooter” is a garbage mechanic.

Off topic: If anyone knows how I can craft a clip without first posting it to YouTube I would be more then welcome to learn more. I dislike YouTube and do not want to have to upload there if I don’t have to. Thanx.

2 Likes

Taking out your shield takes so much longer right now

2 Likes

Yeah that one is not a fun one. You wouldn’t think a few milliseconds would make a difference, but it totally does in a game like OW.

1 Like

Finally got a clip of Blizzard’s “fix” on Charge.

The clip is the 3rd time in this game of 4 “booped” center mass missed Charge’s.

4 Likes

as much as I hate when I get sucked in instead of pushed when pinned by Rein, if you paws the video, the booped rein was off center when connected. (hit marker showed).
I agree, I would be happy not to be pinned and disappointed it pushed instead of sucked in

I would normally agree, however…

Blizzard patch notes;

The enemy Reinhardt would have been hit directly center mass, though I turned to place the pin at the payload. The turn is the only time I am not directly in line with the enemy Reinhardt. I wanted to test Blizzard’s “fix” by slightly altering course for the pin solution.

End of the day, that Reinhardt should have been pinned.

To add some further context.

1. I normally wouldn’t Charge from there with the entire enemy team being alive. Good way to get myself killed, and in this case mission accomplished.
  2. I wanted to see if Blizzard actually changed Charge in any capacity from its former bugged state. To me it looks as though its the same old charge as its always been.
1 Like