What was it about Mass Rez that you liked/disliked?

No, this is not a revert/keep current Mercy thread. This is just a question.

Mass rez is a hotly-debated topic on the forums, and I just wanted to ask what it was that made you feel the way you do about it?

I personally thought it was a good concept that needed some adjustments. I figured that the optimal usage was to tempo-rez 1-3 teammates in a fight in order to keep momentum going, but it seemed to be a common practice to just jump in and rez all five teammates at once, which… wasn’t such a problem, because if you blindly jumped in and rezzed, you’d get focused and die, kind of like a Reaper who jumps into a 1v6 expecting Death Blossom to save their rear, meaning the team would be down a main healer and put them at a disadvantage. Once Rez had I-frames it just opened the floodgates for plays like these to be made without much effort, but you could re-team wipe with careful ult planning. IIRC, mass rezzing was mostly done to boost personal SR gains, so at this point, with those flaws fixed, it might be possible to reintroduce it with some tweaks. Anyways, what’re you guys’ thoughts?

10 Likes

Before I go onto this reply let me be clear, I’m not advocating for a revert however these pieces of information
Impactful Feeling: It felt powerful, and felt heroic to use it, this is important because Mercy’s base kit never really had this moment built into it like other heroes, no clutch moment for mercy other then rez (no burst heal to save someone who’s an inch from death and nothing like a sleep dart)
2. Race for the Ult: It was powerful enough that having it warranted more nuance to her gameplay. It made risky plays to try and save out of position teammates a viable option
3. The Ult was powerful enough so that It was a worthy accomplishment to have pulled off more.
4. It didn’t cut into Mercy’s base kit. It was over and done with for better or worse in 2.25 seconds and then you were back to the enjoyable main beam

These elements I think are important for Mercy’s ultimate, not necessarily rez but her ult should be more powerful then it is now, even if that means slicing some power out of her base kit Cough couch Rez on E cough cough

26 Likes

I really liked the drama it brought to the end game on 2CP maps. One second you’re out, the next you’re right back in there. Games could swing massively in favour of each team minutes into overtime. It just felt tense and epic.

11 Likes

Pros: it was good
Cons: it was literally one press of a button basically whenever (boring), it was unintuitive to counter play and had uniquely convoluted counterplay, bringing people back from the dead has different value than killing them, relatively unneeded to counter ult stacking since ult stacking countered itself, quite annoying

11 Likes

Really? I thought it was very simple. Someone kills the Mercy just before their team wants to wipe or they shoot her down as she flies in. Heck most games where she didn’t get countered that I was in about third to half the team was practically begging the remainder to do this, they just chose not to.

Didn’t like it. Sure, it was counterable and Mercy’s didn’t always hide.

Still, it felt very cheap to lose against. You win a whole team fight, and magically none of that matters.

7 Likes

Exactly; it’s not that simple for a lot of people–the main ranks mercy is supposed to be the best healer pick, actually. You even had to go on a fun lil scavenger hunt sometimes. It was a whole little mini game I didn’t want to play either side of. Get a couple of picks in the midfight and you just can’t always kill mercy before she gets her instant tempo rez off

1 Like

It absolutely wrecked Ult Economy as a skill is what I liked least.

Now, since we know it was awful and has been corrected, my least favorite thing is people bringing it up. Like hey, remember Pagers? Why’d we ever get rid of Pagers? We should totally go back to those days.

1 Like

Pros:

• Gave a lot of tension about when to use ult. Do I tempo rez and keep the momentum going or will the enemy be in a position to wipe and I should save it for a mass rez? If I want to mass rez do they have any back up wipe ults ready? Will a mass rez bring enough people back that they won’t just die again? Can I get there in time and survive to rez?
  • Required thought to use at the right time. Throughout it’s entire period I was learning further refinements on when best to use it.
  • If you did it right, you made a big impact to as least a portion of the match and you could feel like you had an impact
  • Your team mates loved you when you brought them back : P

Cons

• Easy to stop at higher levels, glad I wasn’t in Diamond and above at the time since she was a troll pick due to her easily shutdown-able ult. Tho even in Gold and Plat against people who followed the advice on how to counter it could completely shutdown a Mercy all game.
15 Likes

Does anyone remember palm pilots or did my mom have literally the only one to exist ever

Wowee, it’s been quiet a while.

Ugh, I thought they were so much fun. Bring em back

1 Like

In what way? I had to think much more about ult economy back then. Now, not so much and that’s not a good thing

7 Likes

I absolutely loved it. It made for many massive plays, most not even 5 man rez’s. My most memorable was a three man rez, only I, a Pharah, and our Reinhardt (who just got back from spawn) were left. It was on Nepal, the one with the hole in the middle (forgot the name XP) and I freaking fell off into the hole, but still got the Rez, and just before I got killed from the fall the Pharah Rocketed overhead and saved me, right before She Barraged the entire enemy team and won the point. It was amazing…

7 Likes

All I know is that its disheartening to watch your team push and work together to try hard in winning the match just for it all to come crashing down. With mass rez a Mercy really wanted nothing more than to give her team that last bastion of hope even if she had to suicide to pull it off.

To watch your team rise again and make those clutch plays. And as you respawn and hear the team cheering from a successful end game. Even if the team lost you could tell everyone tried hard and accepted that the better team won.

You dont get that anymore. Sadly I’ve watched over and over while I can do nothing more to help my team. I cant give my team hope anymore. Now I watch them all die around me and there are no utilities that Mercy can provide to assist or help turn the tides.

Any ability to give her that feeling back I can adapt and work with at this point Ressurect should go along with Valkyrie. That’s where I stand now, I dont like Mercy at all and one of her abilities that used to give me and my team hope has given me nothing but grief and has become nothing more than dead weight.

8 Likes

Dislike?Press Q and everyone’s alive.

2 Likes

No counterplay. Low skill high reward. SR exploiting. The people wanting it back.

11 Likes

Get the fork and spoon ready, 'cause here comes the pasta. TL;DR = “mass rez was objectively counter-intuitive to Mercy’s intended gameplay and was a crutch for everyone so they didn’t have to give 100% effort. It also promoted toxicity because a Mercy who didn’t hide/stop playing the game whenever she had Rez was automatically a thrower.”

The problem with old Rez (despite being counter-intuitive to Mercy’s role), is that it was an unfun/awful CRUTCH and an annoying one at that.

“Oh I don’t have to give 100%, just enough, since Mercy can Rez me with everyone else if I die on the point!”

“Oh 2 people died, I’ll stop trying and just drop dead so Mercy can Rez lol.”

“If I leave the safety of my tank, I can probably kill that top priority enemy over there. But there’s a 15% chance I’ll succeed in killing them before I’m killed… That’s good enough for me! Because I can just get mass Rez’d if we all fall because I died and made this a 5v6 match.”

Mercy’s entire value was determined by her Rez and how she used it. She was Rez the Character. And a character should never be fully defined by their Ult, especially if it promotes counter-intuitive gameplay (for her) AND gives up to 5 players a 2nd chance because they weren’t playing at 100%.

Then the cherry on top was: it’s annoying AF to fight against and made survival as Mercy even worse than it is now (enemy #1 instead of just a run of the mill Support target).

Current Mercy’s Ult:

1. Boosts what she normally does, but can ultimately still heal just 50hps (rip 60hps) and boost by 30%. Can keep momentum or boost momentum, just like a normal Ult. 5 man Rez reset momentum which is powerful and not counterable (killing a character before they use an instant ability is not a true counter, sorry if you were unaware of how unfair that is lol).
  2. 1 man Rez every 30 seconds (with cast time) means replacing a quickly dropped ally is a possibility - a tempo Rez. She gets to keep Rez, but now it’s small and contained instead of being a total momentum reset.
  3. Since her value is no longer tied up in her Ultimate, she no longer has to hide when she gets Ultimate. (At ranks where people could actually aim, yes, she had to hide or it was considered throwing.) But even better for New Mercy, now it also means people aren’t FORCED to hunt her down before they even begin killing other enemies which is obviously unfun for Mercy and unfun for the people hunting her.
  4. It encourages better Mercy play. Since her team no longer has a crutch, she doesn’t either (which was hiding 20m-30m away from the fight the moment she has Ult and then being called a Godly player when she swooped in for the insta-5-Rez). A good Mercy is now a Mercy who has great positioning and judgement (and OK pistol aim occasionally). It’s now easier to survive since people aren’t FORCED to lock on to you the second they see her little halo so that’s nice for everyone.
  5. It encourages Mercy to do her damn job - her role. Her role is a mid-battle medic, fly around, stay alive, keep her beam active as much as possible. That was supposed to be her role from day 1. Obviously hiding and keeping her beam off for 10-30 seconds at a time is the direct opposite of what she should be doing.
9 Likes

bless this reply

4chars