What super said is scary

Very, very few people use all the tools. Most people tend to specialize, even the highest tiers.

past a certain point it’s negligeable, otherwise every owl coach would have also been top500 at some point, hence why sr is irrelevant to the discussion, in general

never said anything otherwise

and people at the highest level are the only ones who use ANY of the tools correctly.

What super said is what everyone already knows. The game will be even harder to be balanced and dps will be king in the game

Anyone can use any tool. I’ve seen maybe one person master all of them. Otherwise it’s a noticeable dip in performance.

anyone can use any tool. but few use them correctly. when balancing a game, you do not balance it for people incorrectly playing the game.

Now I want to try out 5v5 even more. I don’t really understand why people say the game feels more like a ‘deathmatch’. Since when one of the tanks in both teams die in 6v6, that’s basically OW2’s 5v5 as well. Maybe it’s the Push map that’s making the game feel more like deathmatch, not the 5v5 itself?

On the flip side, I can imagine the choice of tanks in 5v5 resulting in the game feeling more like deathmatch as well. Like with Zarya and Roadhog, both who plays around wall/corners to mitigate damage. Even with Zarya’s 2 bubbles and Roadhog’s chain spin barrier thing, I don’t think this playstyle is going to change. Whereas main tanks like Reinhardt, Winston, Orisa and even hybrid tanks like Sigma can stay in one spot longer without needing to hide in the corner as often. I think former off-tanks in OW2 is still going to feel like having two off-tanks in OW1. Which can work but only in some maps and yes it leads to the game feeling more like a deathmatch. You just can’t beat shields when it comes to being a tank and slowing the game down.

1 Like

Why is everyone on this forum this incredibly ignorant

for the same reason you think you’re breathing the truth because you have xxxx sr, and that will be my last intervention, this is a waste of time

still waiting on your demonstration though

That is your choice - just like learning the actual game is your choice. But unlike you, I will not be watching a stream and judging whether or not I’ll play it based on what I see. I’d rather play it for myself - like a normal person would.

You really believe what you are writing when you have seen the releases of Sigma, Brig, Doom and Echo (and probably others before my time) and how broken they were? You saw OW2 sombra and how broken she was. When they do these changes and release heroes they actually believe they have balanced them.

They are incapable of testing changes in whatever way they do it currently and coming to a conclusion which is accurate about what they have done. The release of OW2 is going to be a mess but will slowly get fixed over time and, I hope, become a reasonable game. Unless, that is, they release a beta and get enough people playing it, and listen to their feedback, in which case they could get it is decent shape by release.

You don’t balance it for people like those but you design around it. In other FPS games it’s really, really simple because everyone basically has the same kit, access to the same kit or very close options. This one has so many variables that you can’t balance the same way.

The day Jeff Kaplan left was the when I thought OW2 might not be in good shape. A lead designer doesn’t usually just gtfo mid project unless he’s really not happy with it.

I doubt he left cuz he disagreed with the direction the game was taking. He probs left due to other things like work environment no longer being suitable for him (more stress), disagreement with paychecks etc. Or the recent scandal made him worry that he could be held partially accountable even if he wasn’t directly involved.

While it’s quite possible Jeff was neutered by higher ups, it could easily also have been the other way tbh.

The floundering pace of development and indecisiveness in terms of direction definitely happened under his watch. The former was at least in some part due to manpower being pulled over to other Blizzard projects, but the latter is pretty inexcusable in my view. And while it’s possible he was outvoted or signed on for a different implementation, 5v5 definitely started development under him.

Plus, given the timing and his involvement with WoW, it’s not impossible his departure was entirely unconnected to Overwatch 2.

who said balancing phase happens before it launches? if anything youre making my point…

like one thing is to say “i dont like sombra doing 50% damage to hacked targets”…another is to say “i dont like sombra doing extra damage to hacked targets”…most people seem to be reacting the the former (the numbers itself)…that type of stuff gets sorted out much MUCH later…when they can actually test it in game environment (same as all those heroes and such that you mentioned)…

right now theyre still working on just figuring out what the heck the heroes are even going to be doing…how strong and such will get sorted out eventually…but now isnt the time to worry about it

You are incorrect. The game is balanced around the players who know how to play the game - and play it as it is intended, not low elo ppl who are still learning the game who have a “chance” at getting a lucky thing done.

Low elo play the game incorrectly because they are still learning. Most wouldn’t even be able to tell you what a rotation is, or what a midfight is for that matter.

There is a reason they do not balance the game around low elo players.

Oh? Then why don’t they adjust Mei, Bastion, Sym, Reaper, etc so they have more playtime in high elo? That’s right, flawed design. Because if you increase their power to the point they are viable in high tier, you destroy lower tiers. You know, 95% of the playerbase which are the paying customers that keep the servers running.

Not to drag up things from the past, but I do not think this is a productive realm of discussion, as I strongly feel that the most reasonable explanation for his departure had nothing to do with any of that.

Not the “future of overwatch”, not balance issues within the game itself, not the blizzard-sexual-harassment lawsuit, nor any of the other conspiracy minded reasons like this which seem to get thrown around in response to any bad news.

It was FAR more likely related to the financial growth/revenue Overwatch generated, the expenditure of development for Overwatch-2, and his determination that it would be provided as a free-of-charge upgrade to Overwatch players, thus generating minimal (if any) direct revenue to offset the massive development costs.

Strong evidence that supports this would be

1. Overwatch never advertised lootbox sales before this year, and now this is a standard thing.

2. His departure from the company occurred almost immediately after the end of the 1st financial quarter.

• The timing of this strongly implies that he was given a certain amount of time to meet certain profitability/growth targets, and was subsequently dismissed after the project under his direct management wasn’t able to meet those goals.
  3. His plan to release a development-sequel that is no doubt costing many millions of development dollars, and to do so essentially for free, might have been great for the players (and maybe supported the longterm growth potential of the franchise) but definitely looks incredibly suspect from a business standpoint.

• This is just speculation, but Jeff’s cryptic message about “seeing the world as it should be” seemed to support the possibility that he refused to budge on the issue of “overwatch 2 for free” and would definitely be a direct factor in why he was relieved.

• As project development lead, he probably had full authority to set whatever terms he wanted for his own project and could consequently follow through on his promise regardless of what his superiors thought. Thus the suits back at blizz-activision probably wouldn’t have been able to overrule his decision EXCEPT by removing him from his position.

• I think the fact that they never released a statement about why he left or discussed it in any official PR capacity suggests they might not have necessarily wanted to replace him, but they had no choice.

From a business standpoint you simply don’t replace a high profile project head like Jeff unless you are forced to do so. Even if that person isn’t doing a great job, it’s still bad for business, because just by removing them you generate very bad PR fallout that damages consumer confidence.

1 Like