What makes it forced?

I keep seeing the argument about how S76 being gay is “forced” with no real explanation.

So for those who use that argument, tell me, how would a character’s sexuality revelation not be forced?

17 Likes

Some people just want a full blown cinematic short showing the whole thing I guess. But it’s a cartoony T for teen game so all we’re gonna get is a single image in a comic or 4 sentences.

Deal with it yall. You all asked for this to happen and you got it

1 Like

I don’t think “forced” is a good term for it, but it is probably fair to say that it’s… unnecessary. You could delete that entire page/section of the story and re-read it without feeling like anything was missing.

Not that I have any issue with it myself, aside from the excessive amount of attention that such things receive.

3 Likes

If it was a picture of him with some woman, nobody would make a single post about it.

Ana likes tea. Did we need to know that? That could’ve been removed too.

32 Likes

Being gay is always “forced”, especially when a character’s other traits give them a broad appeal. (Soldier’s no nonesense, duty-bound attitude.)

11 Likes

Maybe, but that applies to both sides for him being gay and against.

Right, which is my point about the “excessive amount of attention.” It’s just kind of a pointless diversion/flashback in a story, but people act like it’s the most important element, just because of the subject matter.

That’s what I mean. It’s not forced. It’s written in a completely natural way. Calling it “forced” doesn’t make sense and I wanted to know why so many people are using that term.

4 Likes

There are already fanmade cinematics for this matter on pernhub.

2 Likes

My thought is that people are using that term for failing to think of a more appropriate one. Certainly the writers are aware of the reactions/controversy those kinds of things spawn, and they chose to insert it, even though it doesn’t really add anything to the story except to tell us that Soldier’s gay.

Thus from a writing perspective, a conscious decision was made to specifically tell us that, even if it’s not relevant or important to the story. For someone who’s bothered by this revelation (edit: which doesn’t include me), I can kind of imagine it feeling like the writers are needlessly shoving it into the story for extra gayness.

It’s pretty much just people being buttmad that Strongly McHardass has a sexual orientation they don’t like and they are riddled with so much insecurity that obviously Blizzard doing this is a personal attack on them.

11 Likes

keyword here: pointless.

that’s the clearest evidence of why it isn’t forced. because it isnt the main point of that lore piece.

4 Likes

Revealing someone’s sexuality is something a writer comes up with if they can’t come up with anything interesting.

It’s like announcing a characters race… who cares?

…well, I guess people who are really really focused on race would care.

1 Like

26 Likes

Omg this is flawless

4 Likes

its forced because I was soldiers girlfriend FIRST!!! i loved evry SINGle one of his pixels!!! every single!!! but look at him now… him likes pee pees …

1 Like

Found the person who like being pandered too lol

lol, found the person who thinks its forced

Because it feels like it was more of a #lgbtpride thing just to put it in. I guarantee that they would’ve already announced solider 76 as gay way back but instead they reveal it now. Seems kinda fishy to me

1 Like

How is it not? You honestly truly believe blizzard cares about gay people? You’re getting played my guy. People like you who eat it up play right in their hands lol.