What is 'cool' about new Symmetra? Why do people play her?

As a D.Va main who actually does miss hunting down and destroying old Symmetra’s telelporters and shield generators (and even Junkrat’s nagging voice line), I admit I love having this new Symmetra on my side. A good Symmetra regularly places teleporters that I make use of to supplement my boosters for additional mobility. Better Symmetras know to place their teleporters when hit by Graviton Surge and alert their team to use them to escape. But by far my favorite Symmetra players have to be those that know how to combo with me to teleport my D.Va bombs behind our unsuspecting foes. Oops! did I just fat-finger my bomb without boosting again like a noob…? :smirk:

And that is just what I like about her teleporter. Her new wall has been invaluable in holding points when the team needs a clutch shield to hide behind or dance around, especially when the main tank needs additional help or goes down.

New Symmetra is my least favourite version of her due to the lack of uniqueness in her kit. Her lock-on made her reliable and fun but now it’s a lot harder!

But I still play her because she’ll always be Symmetra, my favourite hero who really got me into the game properly.

But I’d prefer 2.0…

They should really give us an arcade mode where you can play different versions of heroes. That way they can keep the balanced/ more viable ones in the main game, and let people play the heroes they originally fell in love with. Or at least let us use it in custom games.

my gripe is that her primary requires more aim than any other gun to be effective, to the point of impracticality.
The ramp up buffs helped quite a bit.

I only wish she had slightly more mobility with tp, but i see why devs are cautious with buffing it.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve always wanted! They could call it “Olderwatch” or something and we can play:

Old Bastion (with shield)
Old Symmetra (2.0)
Old Mercy (Ressurect Ultimate)
Old Torbjörn (Armour!)
Old Hanzo (Simple geometry)
Etc, what a fun game mode for arcade!

3 Likes

Because I dropped to much time into her to just give up after her rework. Also, that TP she has is :ok_hand:

1 Like

while i would love it, i think it’s harder to implement than it looks.
It would require a lot of thinkering

Definitely, I doubt we’ll ever see it in the game as they have most probably ditched all their old assets like Symmetra’s Shield Generator and Bastion’s Shield… Ah well, it was fun while it lasted!

This. It’s not that I feel like there’s something “cool” in her kit. It’s just that after the rework I didn’t know where to stick so I made the mistake of relearning Symmetra again instead of moving to another character.

Arguably, the only thing that I enjoy about her current kit is her TP. At least in theory. But in practice, it drives me insane with its inconsistent placement and random selfdestructing.

Same. Out of any bugs and glitches that have ever been in this game the ones for Sym’s TP drive me mad. The TP should always deploy at Sym’s feet. Period. I don’t want it 3 feet in front of me. I want it ON ME. SO I CAN USE IT. The activation range is so tiny if she stands still and places it you can’t even reach it, which basically screws you over when you want to get out of grav. You know, the only thing people thought it would be good for.

what was in her old kit the new one hasn’t?

i mean her turrets are better

her right click is better

her shield is better, it’s a game changing ult that can win a point on its own

her teleporter is not a “respawn a bit faster” thing anymore

and her left click does a ton more damage

1 Like

You clearly never played old Sym much, she feels so different to play in everyway it’s like a completly different character, hence why people talk of her being ‘deleted’.

yeah the old symm wasn’t fun at all. her kit is still pretty much the same, it’s just more fluid more useful less clunky and usable after 30s into the game when your first set of turrets got destroyed at the spawn door

It’s subjective, I found old Sym fun, the new one just sucks. Imagine what people would say if Sym didn’t exist and this Sym was released as hero 31, people would think it was a joke.

yeah like having a MINUTE worth of cooldown deleted because Winston pressed M1 and spun in a circle. So cool

And who could forget about having a gun with the same effective range as a guy with a hammer. Neato.

Old Sym was as lame to non-Sym players as new Sym is to Sym players, whereas new Sym is actually kind cool. Teleporter is one of the most big brain cooldowns in the game and Photon Barrier ult is one of the most slept on abilities in the game.

The only fun thing about Sym 1 or 2 was the throwable photon barrier, it felt kinda cool to block things with it.

what was fun about old sym?

honest question.

the melee range turret palcement slowing you down and having 1hp?

the super slow right clicks you couln’t possibly hit anything unless someone walked into them by accident?

the super engaging ult that needed people to die to be useful?

the super close range no skill vacuum?

the barrier that was useful for 2 seconds until it passed the enemy?

the other super powerful ult giving everyone shields that never required you to do more than press Q once in a quiet spot?

Increasing healthpool? Giving delayed res station? Mobile instacast barrier? A “hide and seek” minigame as her ult? A lock-on beam? Piercing orbs?

Wait, that was rhetorical question, wasnt it?

Agreed.

Playing both versions made me realize that you can’t compare these. First one was melee range zoning tool. Second one is inconsistent range attack.

It’s an ult. What do you expect.
Unless you count the stupidly increased cast time and technically longer cooldown. Then it goes downhill.

Yup. I am impressed.

It required 2 constant buffs to make it at least on level of her previous lock on beam. At it still requires longer to ramp it up. It’s like devs didn’t see what was wrong with her primary.

That’s your opinion. I find tracer boring as hell and I am not telling anyone they shouldn’t play her or how bad she is lol.

Go and hide her teleporter and then continuously protect it to give teamwide bonues.
OH that’s right. You can’t.

1 Like

Well, it is nice to hear your opinion, friend. :slight_smile:

I love Symmetra 3.0 and find her kit very fun, actually. Used to love 2.0 but 3.0 just blows it out of the water. (Even though I miss Shield Generator, I am okay with something similar going to another hero)

I look forward to a few more quality of life buffs (Projectile speed up, please!).

1 Like

I know this question isn’t directed to me, but

Yes, this animation was beautiful. Even though they performed much worse.

Yes. I loved when I pierced multiple enemies.
I think I just love piercing weapons in general. In paladins I play fernando and seris, which is pretty much Sym 2.0 secondary :open_mouth:

Hiding this stuff was fun you know.

Was rather effective. I liked seeing panic in enemy eyes <3. Healthy or not, getting this straight zarya rip-off is so dull in comparision. Would prefer Moira’s instead.
Also you’re forgetting picking up stuff. We’re discussing fun factor after all!

This barrier was absolutely favourite of Symmetra players. You could outplay people so well. And when you blocked earthshatters? :ok_hand:

Yes. As I said before, hiding this stuff and watching people search for it was rather entertaining. It also rewarded some time dedication in finding these on your own. 100% chance there was at least 1 spot you didn’t know about that I was using consistently.

Look, I know that old Symmetra was rather weak. But that doesn’t mean she wasn’t fun.

sym isn’t that good in destroying shields but she is ok.

idk why Im still playing symmetra, I loved 2.0 and 3.0 is just meh.
I wish I could choose which version of symmetra I want to play ;-;