What is 'cool' about new Symmetra? Why do people play her?

Her old kit was so unique and different, and had alot of cool factor. I honestly cannot see the appeal of new Sym at all. For lack of a better word she is lame.

23 Likes

Why the old symmetra is not fun to play is the completely lack of flexibility in her kit.

Having a super slow and unuseful feeling alternate fire.
The super long time needed to setup anything she has and how fast it is to destroy.
The lack of range on her primary fire.

5 Likes

Personally, theres something to be said about her new turrets. Theres something so satisfying on dropping turrets to make pharas life hell as sym, or behind their supps during a fight to force them out of position or die.
Shield wall can be fun, so can dodging or blocking things with TP.

But yeah Sym 2.0 was more fun.

1 Like

Eh the throw able turrets are nice, even if they die way to fast. Your lucky to get a single tick of dmg before they are gone, even in Bronze.

Her primary is still pretty much hot garbage. It can be fairly dangerous but it takes a heck of a lot of commitment to do so. Usually at the cost of using any of her other abilities (other wise the charge winds down). The only way her primary is any good if the enemy team ignores you and your huge beam for some reason.

Given most enemies can two tap your head in less than a second it’s kind of funny that even at max charge your looking at 1-4 seconds to kill most people without them being healed.

The TP is meh. It’s kind of neat if the enemy are idiots but most of the time it’s just used to get to some high ground at the start of a match. In combat it can be used to draw some fire, especially from enemy turrets but not for long given it only has 300hp or so and a 12 second CD.

Her Alt fire is neat, but slow as heck and very easy to dodge. You really can’t do more than spam down the choke and hope to hit something. The Rate of fire and projectile speed pretty much makes any kind of “skill” impossible with the thing. Unless your shooting a torb turret hitting anything you aim at is luck, and following it up with a second shot to get a kill is almost impossible.

By and large the only part of her new kit that I like is the turrets being able to be thrown but other than that it’s a loss. Only have 3 turrets that do less dmg than the 6 used to is bad. Giving them 30 hp is borderline pointless given that most attacks still destroy them in one shot.

As for the Ult, it can be useful but generally speaking far to slow to deploy to be a clutch thing you use to save yourself or your team. You generally put it up in advance to a push and hope it blocks something useful.

9 Likes

People who love her should try MH…yeah you don’t get to pick her but she’s legit OP in that mode…2 of her? Absolute nightmare

2 Likes

A bent fork is unique too, but you don’t want any of your forks bent.

7 Likes

I really like Symm 3.0. Symm 2.0 and 1.0 just did not appeal to me. It felt more like a sedantary playstyle that was only viable on offense. New Symm feels really good in that you can dish out a heck of a lot more damage, and is more mobile.

However, I still stand by the fact that she needs a buff.

very subjective
but objectivly she’s stronger

1 Like

I love new Sym. She can re-deploy turrets mid-fight and she’s an absolute barrier melter. She’s much more interesting than just “try to auto-lock somebody and follow them around” now.

2 Likes

I love playing Symm no matter what version of her it is.

I have my gripes with 3.0, but overall I find her to be better than 2.0 in most ways. Flying turrets and her secondary are much better now.
If her tp would deploy faster/ less clunky I’d be pretty happy with her.

3 Likes

Shes more viable in general fights now but so souless. I play her because i love the character even if they butchered her identity.

9 Likes

Her beam is far more enjoyable and satisfying to use now that it requires some aim.
Melting shields while your ammo reloads feels great.
Those times when you master the art of cat herding and you sneak your team around to take a point feels fantastic.
Turrets are still turrets, but is always worth a giggle when people are too lazy to kill them.
Her shield ult is nice even if it doesn’t have a noticeable offensive impacts like most other DPS have. Putting that up can be a massive boost in taking or defending a point.

Symm 1.0 had the effective use of a swiss army knife. It could do nearly everything, but nothing even decently.

Symm 2.0 was how to better Primary Fire. Not in range of Primary Fire? Secondary Fire. Barrier to get closer to Primary Fire. Shield Gen to more consistently Primary Fire.

Symm 3.0 is at least a builder. Most things in her kit is about manipulating the map. Area Denial, Access to other parts of the map, and changing cover.

3.0 can use a few tweaks, some QoL changes, and bug fixes, but I like it way more than a lazy, pseudo, melee character.

Her beam is garbage now that it requires aim considering Sym lost survivability and didnt win meaningful range. Her beam was a way to counter her lack of survivability AND range, but now its just a mediocre, risky and slow tank buster because good luck killing a Tracer with it.

Her role became so much worse now that she lost the ability to outduel flankers. She is basically a big ??? in what her role is supposed to be aside enabling cheesey TP strats and (riskly) punishing lone Reinhardts.

3 Likes

I love Satya “Symmetra” Vaswani, the character, i really do.
I keep playing her because i love her so much, but it’s true, the new Symm kit is not as good as Symmetra 2.0

and fundamentally flawed from the ground up

i picked symmetra up in beta because she was a support summoner
that’s what i always pick in games, healers, buffers, or summoners

she lost her ability to buff, and she was never a healer

she still creates constructs, and while she doesn’t “buff”, she still offers utility from the teleporter and barrier

and now she’s better than she was before overall due to functional mechanics rather than busted feast or famine mechanics

she still needs help, but she’s overall better

Like several other characters, if your team works with you, she can help a lot like positioning wise. However, if you select her, someone in your team will always be tilted.

the only unique thing she lost was the auto lock beam.
The barrier was kinda bad except for yourself.

Tele on attack Hanamura A, or Horizon A

Switch off after taking it.

It was annoying to say the least? Barrier was actually pretty decent to support your teammates. But overall, her rework raised her skill floor significantly. That’s the problem. Other new heroes like Ashe has considerably lower skill floor to be honest.