What happened to the hype?

Where did all they hype about new lore, new heroes, new maps, and how they all are connected?

Does anyone remember the Sombra ARG? despite being extremely long, it built up so much hype.

What about the comics? they were huge storylines that showed us, the players, how these characters interact with each other and what they are doing.

in the first year of OW, we had 5 cinematics, 2nd year we had 3, an so far we have had only 2. And all have been hero introductions, very little story building.

Anyone who was been playing OW for a long time (like season 1-6ish) knows what the hype can be, and that the devs know how to build hype.

now its just like, “ok we got a new hero out of nowhere, she looks fun.” Wheres the build up? wheres the mystery? where is the hype train?

And yes i know that they changed the payload of Route 66 before the cinematic, but compared to the sombra ARG, or the hype around Ana, this is nothing.

Can we get something to be hyped about? give us hints to the new map, give us lore bits to hint at the next character, give us something that hints towards the Archives event.

I asked the same thing last week, and I hoped something was gonna be annouced.

But all we got was “its a secret”

Then the hype died (because of what that really means)

4 Likes

I dont hype on “secret” stuff.

5 Likes

Likely what they might be working on from I can grab.

“Capture the flag stuff”

“New Years Event Stuff”

“OWL stuff”

“New Hero Stuff”

“New Map Stuff”

Basically stuff we already knew about.

Primary likely focused on “OWL Stuff”.

Also Didn’t say “Balance Stuff” because they are likely not doing anything there.

Seems they are just enjoying the holidays.

1 Like

They pushed most of their resources into esports and balance changes. They literally told us months ago, so people took that as a sign to not get hype.

They, Jeff kaplan on behalf of the devs, said they feel the game is in a balanced state. just goes to show how little the devs know about their own game.

3 Likes

same old, same old…hyped about what? a hero? we have 28 of them, map? they are all the same, with the same layout… heroes arent even fun to play anymore with all failed reworks and broken balancing…
hyped about what.

1 Like

He said that the balance isn’t as bad as the forum makes it out to be and I’d agree with that.
Most players don’t have enough understanding of the game to really have an opinion that’s worth anything.

1 Like

29 heroes. Unless thats on purpose.

What should I be hyped about?
There is nothing at the moment…

OWL? Hell no!

2 Likes

the only thing that would make me hype is a role-q mode

i feel this was a response to the #reworkmercy movement, more then anything else, but yes i do agree that the forums grossly exaggerate the balance issues, but every hyperbole has a grain of truth.

I think they frontloaded too much and didn’t expect to see hero balance turn into a crisis like it did at the end of last year/this year.

Most Mercy players do agree that Mercy is the most balanced she has ever been, some just don’t enjoy playing her.

This is everything you need to know.

EDIT: I am actually excited about this post. He says Secret in 3 bullet points. Does that mean 3 different Secret Stuff?

i understand that, im saying that, because #reworkmercy is so prevalent on the forums, that it seems jeff was trying to say that mercy is balanced, and they are not going to change her.

The signs of a game on life support. People don’t wanna see it but it’s a fact. OW has been pushed back for OWL. We haven’t seen new content for months and we’ve been told multiple events not to look forward to new stuff. It’s just skins and balance every now and then. For real that is exactly what a game on life support looks like.

And all we have got going is Jeff saying they are working on “secret stuff” and everything is supposed to be fine, everyone should be happy with just “secret stuff” when we haven’t seen anything for months and won’t see anything for months to come considering how slow the devs drip in stuff into the game.

4 Likes

My problem with this is that by not really telling us what the super secret stuff is, they could potentially be setting themselves up to fail.

because i was already hyped on halloween and winter skins on Orisa this year…
Yeah now i never will, lesson learned : I

No because Hype has done a lot of damage.
Look at the Hype for No Man’s Sky a few years back.
Look at what happened from all the Diablo hype.

HYPE IS BAD