What even are placement matches?

So last season I dropped from diamond to mid gold on my alt because I got bored of playing my main heroes and decided to 1 trick bastion for the rest of the season (wasn’t throwing, was trying to win, just playing a weak [but fun! :smiley:] character UwU)

Anyway for placement matches this season, I decided to play my mains again (Reaper/Ashe), in an attempt to test how smart the placement system was. During placements, I utterly stomped the competition to the tune of

Reaper: 14.5k damage per 10 min, 38.49 elims per 10 min, 22 final blows per 10 min, 16.2 elims per life

Ashe: 17k damage per 10 min, 15 elims per life, 18 scoped critical hits per 10 min, 55% scoped accuracy, 18% scoped critical hit accuracy

Now those stats are objectively above average for gold and yet… after my placement matches, I placed a grand total of 80 SR above where I finished last season, still in gold. LMFAO… Apparently the game wants me to have to stomp on all of the poor golds with my mains to get back to where I belong with them, instead of having the placement system work correctly in terms of moving me back up the ladder based on my performance…

I apologize in advance, gold friends who get on the enemy team. But I have quenched my thirst for playing bastion and want to play my mains again. Blame Blizzard for this, not me. I just wanted to play different characters

3 Likes

Yeah, the placements are just hidden value Sr games. It starts where you left it and performance based SR is weak on older accounts. Pretty garbage system no matter how you slice it.

2 Likes

It’s been like this for 20 seasons bud. Everyone knows they don’t matter. Seasons as a whole are a meaningless concept. Comp points force people to play a mode they don’t like in an elo they don’t deserve because they want gold guns. It ruins the last week of the seasons then we have an hour break and play 15 matches where the outcome doesn’t matter. They either need to rework what seasons are and give them a reason to exist or just get rid of it.
And comp points while they’re at it, either make them consistent so you get rewarded for playing instead of placing or get rid of them. There is no reason for them to be a comp only currency.

3 Likes

It’s a way to artificially inflate the number of active players/time played for Blizzard’s bragging rights to investors lol. They should just make them 15 normal comp games and not this hidden SR BS lol.

Back in season 14 I decided to 1 trick Genji, I fell from PLat to silver, BUT… season 15 i climbed back to gold, and season 16 I was plat again still a genji one trick. To me he was fun and I did not want to play anything else in the game. I havnt played since season 16 and started playing again last season, but i dont DPS anymore because of queue times though

They are not reset switches that will automatically place you where you think you belong…they place you within +/- 200sr of previous seasons rank.

5 games for 200sr…isn’t a bad deal…assuming you don’t lose…

It isn’t 5 for 200 sr though. I went 5/0 on support on my alt and ended up 50sr higher. Witch surprisingly was still 400sr lower than it should be because the initial placement of new accounts is still the most inaccurate thing I’ve ever seen Since hit master with an 87% win rate.

200sr is the maximum +/-. Your mmr will still affect your placement matches.

Again that’s just incorrect. The fact I got to masters with an 87% winrate should show that well enough

What’s the context here in relation to placements…I missing what your argument is…are you upset that you had to grind 3 additional games?

It’s been well known since like season 3 that placements are based on where you ended the previous season. Especially with only 5 placememts per role nowadays, a handful of good games isn’t going to change that. It’ll give you a small boost, sure, but if you just showed them that you should be Gold last season, they’re not going to believe you suddenly improved to a Diamond level since then.

This is not the matchmaker’s fault, it’s entirely on you for throwing down there to begin with.

1 Like

If mmr affects sr gains during placements then after going 5/0 I should have been up more than 50, even if it only gave the same amount as a win I should have gained double but I didn’t. The fact I climb to masters with ease should be enough of an indication that what you are saying is factually incorrect. Either mmr is not even close to being accurate or what you say is a load of sht. Chances are it’s both.

And no, it actually took less than 2 hours but sure, let’s bring feelings into the debate I guess?

Sorry I must be the idiot here…because I see this quote…then 87% winrates to master’s…what’s your point exactly…you were master’s and you got placed in master’s?

I literally said the absolute MAXIMUM you will gain or lose is 200sr…you said you got +50 Sr…

So unless I’m terribly mistaken and there be quantum dimension dragons here…50 is still less than 200…correct?

I’m saying that if I play well enough to hit masters with 87% then my mmr should be representative of that. If that was the case I should not have gotten half sr for every game I won.

Well your thoughts/ feelings…and overwatch algorithms are obviously at odds with each other… Mmr still affects Sr…been like that since season 2.

Placements are not a substitute for grind. You still have to do the work.

It affects sr until diamond. Nothing about that means it affects placements.
I’m arguing that placements are pointless mate.

No… performance based Sr handicap…stops at diamond…decay starts at diamond.

It’s possible decay plays a role in placements at diamond and up.

Lastly I don’t care how smart you are…don’t ever imply someone is dumb because they disagree with you…not ever human being is going to echo your sentiment.

Performance based st isn’t a handicap. It boasts players more than it hinders.

Decay hadn’t been in the game since role lock.

After what you just said I have not faiths you have any understanding of how the game works and don’t trust a single thing you have to say.
Nor did I ever say you were dumb. If you took any of the statements to mean such a thing then that’s on you.

Yeah well being open minded is harder than being closed minded.

So is being knowledgeable apparently.
See that time I called you dumb.