What do I need to get 300fps?

What impacts the improvement of fps?

I have a amd ryzon 5 1400 cpu
Gtx 1060 gpu
Ram is 16gb
And I new 144hz monitor.

I have all settings to low for visuals but I’m still not hitting 300fps.

Do I need to buff my cpu?

A better question would be, Do you even need 300 fps? Im sure getting above 150 consistently is more than decent.

18 Likes

Your monitor can’t display more than 144 FPS so it’s completely pointless to try to hit 300, and you’d need a better graphics card if you wanted to do that without dropping all your graphics settings to 0

12 Likes

300fps is extremely difficult to achieve, and it’s not necessary for a 144hz display. But if you really want it, you’re going to need at least a gtx1080, though I’d recommend the Ti. And then you’re going to need at least an 8700k or 9700k CPU. As you start getting into really high fps CPU becomes most important.

I have a 1080ti and 6700k overclocked to 4.7ghz and I don’t even come close to a steady 300fps on low.

2 Likes

It’s not always hardware. I have a I7 with a GTR 2070 SSD etc. with low settings.
It runs between 230-270 mostly. I have a 240hz monitor. I would say its partly down to OW not being optimised.

1 Like

OP, turn off dynamic reflections and turn fog to low. Massive frame boost.

Bumping your CPU or getting more RAM won’t help that much. All graphics in all games are pretty much always about “the best GPU”, so get a 1080 Ti or better

Also lowering the resolution could be an option.

Personally I have a GTX1080 and have 165 fps (where my screen hz is) at 1440p och high/ultra. Sure I can get higher frames for playing on 1080p @ low, but it’s not really worth it, since my display can’t output it.

12 Likes

Not that hard to achieve in arcade. I get a solid 300fps in any mode thats not QP/Comp with a 1070 and i7 7th gen. Kinda hard to do in QP/Comp since its not very optimized for whatever reason, but I still get at least 200.

You do not need 300 FPS, ever. Besides, with a 144 Hz monitor you will not get above that number in FPS.

This is a common misconception. However, you ALWAYS want to render at the max framerate possible, regardless of what your monitor refresh rate is. The higher your fps, the lower your input lag and the more responsive your controls will be.

You can view your input lag in-game by pressing control shift N and checking your SIM values.

To the OP, when trying to render at low res and high framerates, typically the CPU is the bottleneck.

3 Likes

upgrade Everything.

Getting and maintaining 300fps takes a lot.

hysterical

beepboopp

it’s… literally not. your monitor can’t display more frames than the refresh rate, and the input lag you’re talking about is not discernible by any human senses

1 Like

You’re gonna need to download more ram.

3 Likes

The lower input lag you achieve by pushing the FPS above the refresh rate of your monitor is barely noticeable unless you’re a robot.

:moneybag:

I got 3800-3900 with 900p 50% renderscale, all settings set to low, stable 82ms and 80fps lock playing genji(mainly),winston,d.va and sometimes hanzo. I dont think stuff like this matter that much in a game where half the abilites are bs spam one shots. But I never tasted the glory of 120+ fps in my life so I dont know how big of a diff it makes. Probably huge :C

No, you ALWAYS want to minimize your game-side input lag to the lowest number possible, because the overall lag is going to be immensely compounded afterward by your monitor input lag, the ping and the server tick rate.

This isn’t new info. Literally every pro in Overwatch does this. Custom fps set to 300. 1080p. Res scale at 75%. These are the standard settings every OW pro uses for the specific reason of minimizing input lag. There have been several good videos on it. Space discusses it in one of his videos.

Reducing game-side input lag from 15ms down to 5ms is surprisingly noticeable. The newfound responsiveness is so significant that it takes some players weeks to adjust. Now obviously going from 5ms down to 3ms is trivial; no one can feel this minuscule difference.

2 Likes

You probably need to lower a lot of settings. I have a i7 and a 1080ti and I don’t go too far over 200fps on max settings (resolution scale 100%)

While I suppose input lag may be a little better with more frames (I’m not sure how that works) at 144hz you’re not going to see much of an improvement if your frame rate goes over 144fps.

1 Like