What do I need to get 300fps?

It’s absolutely noticeable. There seems to be a misconception that “noticeable” means I did a side by side comparison and said “hmm, this one is clearly 2.3ms slower”. That’s of course nonsense. But when you’re in the heat of the action, even very tiny changes in latency can absolutely be felt. It won’t be a conscious recognition of some specific value. Things will just “feel” a bit off and you’ll just feel like your reactions are slower than normal.

1 Like

if your using a 144hz monitor you wont see above ~150fps so why would you need 300fps?

I have:

• PROCESSOR
Intel CoffeeLake Core i7 8700K Six Core, 3.7Ghz/4.7Ghz, 12MB LGA1151 Unlocked Processor, No Fan

• COOLING Noctua NH-D15S Elite-Class Six Heatpipe Dual Tower Cooler

• GRAPHICS EVGA GeForce RTX2080 8GB GDDR6 Black Edition Video Card (08G-P4-2081-KR)

• MEMORY Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 CL14

• STORAGE Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)

• MOTHERBOARD ASUS PRIME Z390M-PLUS, Intel Z390, Dual M.2, mATX Motherboard

• POWER SUPPLY SilverStone Strider Series ST75F-PT 750W 80Plus Platinum Full-modular Power Supply

I get 300FPS on Ultra, just upgrade fam :wink:

EDIT. Sorry got that wrong, I have 32GB ram, not 16.

Just curious: how the heck did you end up in silver with such PC?

Almost as if better hardware don’t automatically give you better playing skills.

1 Like

Nonsense. My Tracer accuracy improved by 18% just from switching to boxer briefs.

1 Like

My friend who runs tracer in diamond had his accuracy shoot up 10% when switching from 60hz to 144hz.

1 Like

It absolutely does make a difference. Switching to 144Hz won’t automatically make you better, but it DOES remove impediments that hinder your progress. You can never reach your true personal skill cap at 60Hz.

Boxer briefs are still more important though.

2 Likes

What about socks?
It buffed me +12% on reflexes when i equipped them. My accuracy was 7. Now it’s like…8.5.

1 Like

Sounds OP. There’s only so much power one person can handle. :rofl:

1 Like

Part of that may be placebo effect. He got a better hardware, felt good about it, focused better at the game, and it show up in individual performance.

But in general, if you are running at stable 60 FPS (emphasis on stable), the difference between that and 300 is not the roadblock holding you back. I bet you can get a minimal specs PC with a standard non-gaming KB&M to any top 500 player and they are able to hit at least GM with that.

It does make a difference if you are getting near the skill ceiling of many heroes. Especially those interested in joining the pro scene. But for average joes like us? Nah, as long as your game is not flickering and losing frames, you are fine.

(The whole video is great, but this timestamp is the best analogy I ever seen about this kind of stuff)

1 Like

There is no point in such decreasing of input-lag because anything you see and react are still completely tied to display refresh rate.

You should maintain constant fps because:
1.Constant input lag. So you dont get those moments during fights when your controls gets increased latency cause your fps dropped from 270 to 180

2.Screen tearing. When fps is higher than display refresh rate, screen tearing occurs. Which has negative impact on your gameplay if your reaction time is high enough, because instead of single target you see two different frames on screen.

This is objectively false. You may only see the number of frames equal to the refresh rate of the display, but when you render more frames you’re displaying images that have been rendered more recently (“newer”, if you will), and are thus closer to the current real time state of the game. I would rather see the state of the game as of 3ms ago than the one 16ms ago.

Also screen tearing is pretty much all but irrelevant if you have a variable refresh rate display. Some people also don’t mind the tearing and if it doesn’t bother you there’s still actually some benefit to it.

Right, half image allows you to react 50% faster lol

Right. Allowing your hardware to output at a higher framerate means data is being transmitted to your screen in smaller and more frequent increments, so that when your monitor refreshes, the frame available for it to display is more current and accurate.

If screen tearing is a problem for certain people, then G-sync and Freesync can fix the issue while adding only about 1ms of lag.

Having said all that, for people already playing at 144+ Hz, we’re probably just splitting heirs. Rendering at 144 makes a huge difference vs 60, but rendering at 300 does not make a significant difference vs 144.

I think Seagull might actually cap at his monitor’s 240 in fact, while I know Kabaji edits his OW text file to unlock 400 fps. :joy:

1 Like

Tearing isn’t always a straight line down the middle. The number of tears and the amount o tearing it has changes based on the framerate.

I use a 240hz monitor myself (i gave the tracer player my 144hz after upgrading) and its a godsend for my Ana skills. Sleeping genji is way easier. Its not really a placebo. I am super sensitive to high frames and high refresh rates. I will never forget the time I played on my friends pc at 60hz on hanamura. I was trying to get through the bridge and suddenly mei just appeared from out of nowhere. It literally looked like she spawned in. She landed an icicle in my head killing me instantly. I quit the game immediately and swore never to play the game at such a low refresh rate ever again.

Eyes that can process 300fps.

It does help though… a lot.

Eyes doesn’t process in FPS not to mention you are being capped to 144 by the monitor.

Higher FPS can reduce input lag in a horrible programmed game like this one (seriously, who even creates a game engine for fps game that has an input lag, let alone a game that is supposed to be an esport)

Seriously, that’s basically wasting money for minimal (arguably unnoticeable) changes.

And don’t think that you’ll magically do better at the game by having ridiculously high framerates. E.g. if you can’t hit plat by playing at 60 FPS, you won’t be able to at 300 FPS either.