What concerns do you have about 5v5?

Yeah, that’s why I believe most people don’t like tanking. Feeling the need to find a 2nd tank with high teamwork spirit takes enjoyment away from a player.

With some good tank redesigns, 5v5 might become an improvement. I don’t have much faith in the redesigns though. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

well a big on is objectives, especially payloads. It’s already painful to have to sit on a payload to move it forward while your team fights. With a group of 5 it vastly limits your ability to do so. But given how the contest system works you won’t get far very fast if you are forced to fight around the payload.

Other than that it’s mostly flanking and how easy it will be to just ignore the tank while killing the rest of the team. While we haven’t played 5v5 yet, many of us have experience in single tank game play either before role Q or the T ripple DPS experimental.

When there is but a single tank it’s very easy for the enemy team to simply ignore them and go for their team.

1 Like

Yikes. Might wanna get that checked out eh :smile:

Well I respect your viewpoint. To elaborate on the reason I am not personally concerned at the moment, it’s because I am not the one in charge of balance. That responsibility falls on the devs, who have indicated that they will be making sweeping changes across the board. I just don’t see any point in worrying for the next however long it takes them to reveal all of the changes together.

3 dps 1 tank, 2 supp was more fun back in the days, it’s stronger than 2,2,2.

now with 5 players, it might be less explosive

I really think its a player issue if they go “Oh man, I bought this TEAM based game, where you need to play as a TEAM and now I have to find someone to be my TEAMMATE! That shouldn’t be!”

Same. The weirdest part is how people don’t understand why I, as a tank main, don’t trust Blizzard’s tank design. Especially after they showed off 5 v 5 and blatantly showed the tanks being garbage besides the explicitly DPS/gun heavy characters like Zarya and Hog.

Reinhardt will never be that since, you know, if you give Rein a gun he’s no longer Rein.

2 Likes

To be honest, I’ll probably just play the PvE and leave comp alone.

My worry is that currently, tanks are an issue.

In 5 vs 5 I believe that supports will be the new bottleneck. Nobody will want to play support in a 5 vs 5 TDM brawl game.

With only one tank you can’t really have a front line strategy, you need two tanks for a tank strategy to function with any purpose. I think they want more of a TDM game by the looks of things.

What about Sigma and Orisa?
Also why are they so worried about “healing another tank” when you still have two DPS and the other support (even though self regen is going to be a thing)?

The worst role to play against is going to be support - one less tank for protection, DPS you can’t run away, CC nerfs…

I am deeply sceptical of the new direction they’re going in. Simplified, individualistic, and, tbh, generic.

I like overwatch because it’s complex and layered. Team composition is important, you can’t succeed on your own.

The solo tank will have too much responsibility. Everyone on your team is counting on you to play perfectly. I’ll respect anyone who dares to put up with playing as tank in comp when OW2 comes out.

I am a 100% advocate for 5v5
I think the pros out weigh the cons

Of course balance isn’t going to be perfect from day 1, I think we can all agree.

I’m just concerned that there will be an overly broken hero that gets fixed way too slow.

And not broken to the forums standards where every week there’s a new broken hero to complain about.

An actual broken hero.

1 Like

Not exactly. While what you say is true (in the case of selfish players), tank synergies are a different story. Team spirit is not enough when you tank, you are required to pick certain combos in order to not ruin both tanks.

When your tank’s effectiveness relies strongly on your second tank picking the synergistic hero, this is problematic for the tank class. Dps have phara and bastion which have the same problem, but they’re just 2 picks while almost all tanks need synergies to work.

Agreed in all the rest though, I fear that they will destroy the identities of many tanks once they start redesigning.

I am skeptical the devs can making playing tanks more enjoyable and could be even worse than now.

Another issue is that some players fully expect a solo tank player to be able to play all tanks to the same skill level.

The huge underplaying of how massive the change is going to be to actually balance.

It isn’t just tanks they have to balance. Which that alone is a massive task but also they now need to look at the interactions of each role with each other when fighting with or fighting against. That will probably mean not just tweaks of numbers but reworks of characters and/or big changes (Like mei now unable to free with primary fire)

Then if some how those three tasks weren’t enough we’re also changing maps because they themselves know and said that the game has been built and their players have relied on two tanks with 2-2-2 and now have to go into each map and ensure they have what they feel is enough cover to make up for a second tank.

This is all just to get back to the state we are in now with the heroes balanced how they are. All because two tanks is hard to balance.

Mostly, how the heck do they balance Hammond.

Where he’ll be a terror at high tier with a cc resistance passive and most the stuns/hack being heavily nerfed or removed.

And almost an instant throw pick at hero select, below Masters.

Remember that they’re also changing the way maps are designed for OW2. More flank routes and natural cover. This probably means you can play Ball like a fat dps below masters because teams aren’t stuck behind 1 narrow choke.

A complete change to the fabric of the game. It’s not about what ‘concerns’ people have. It is literally going to be a different game with the strategy taken out because tank combos no longer exist.

Because of this, all other roles have to be manipulated to match their vision of having one tank. When you log into OW2, you will experience a different game. Erase the last 5 years of your experience. This is like Halo turning into Motorbike Mechanic Simulator.

Biggest concern would be that with there only being one tank that the rest of the team will act like they should have say on who that tank will be.

Honestly worried we will see a huge rise of false reports for not picking the right tank or for not switching when “asked” (demanded)

Overall everything Flats said