Welcome to Season 30 of Competitive Play

Welcome to Season 30 of Competitive Play

Season 30 of Competitive Play is here!

Unlocked at level 25, Competitive Play is designed for those players who want to put their skills to the test, and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Arcade Modes.

GETTING STARTED

Before you can kick off your competitive career, every player will be required to complete five placement matches in a selected role to obtain their seasonal skill rating for that role. Within the standard Role Queue competitive mode, players will earn separate skill ratings (SR) for each role in Competitive Play, for a total of three distinct SRs. This rating will be a number between 1 and 5000, with higher values indicating a greater skill level. Players will also be assigned a tier per role based on their rating—Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grandmaster – and climbing into the next tier is possible as you improve. Open Queue will utilize the same rating and tier system, but since there is no Role Queue system, you will have a separate, single SR reflective of your performance across all heroes within this game mode.

Skill ratings and tier icons will be visible at the beginning of every match. As you compete, your selected role or Open Queue skill rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match.

A detailed breakdown of the skill tiers, along with icons and information about the corresponding skill ratings can be found by pressing the “Information” button under the Competitive Play menu.

COMPETITIVE REWARDS

In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can also unlock unique rewards through Competitive Play. Anyone who completes their placement matches in any role or Open Queue during a Competitive Season will receive a special spray and player icon.

On top of that, as you complete competitive matches, you’ll earn a currency called Competitive Points. When the season concludes, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the highest Skill Tier you obtained during the season per role to spend on golden versions of your favorite heroes’ weapons. This also applies to your highest Skill Tier reached within the Open Queue.

Here’s the Skill Rating (SR) to Competitive Point (CP) breakdown:

Per Role Open Queue Max Total
Bronze 25 65 140
Silver 50 125 275
Gold 100 250 550
Platinum 200 500 1100
Diamond 300 750 1650
Master 450 1200 2550
Grandmaster 650 1750 3700

TOP 500 LEADERBOARDS

The best of the best players compete across five separate Top 500 Leaderboards. Within Role Queue, one for each role, along with an additional combined average leaderboard. The combined Role Queue Top 500 Leaderboard will be based on the player’s average skill rating across all three roles. To be eligible for a role-specific leaderboard, players must complete at least 25 games in that role. To qualify for the combined Top 500 Leaderboard, players must be eligible for all three role-specific leaderboards. Open Queue will have its own Leaderboard that will require at least 50 games played within the game mode for qualification. At the end of the season, players who earn a spot within the Top 500 players for any of these leaderboards on their platform and region will receive an additional player icon and animated spray.

Season 30 is live RIGHT NOW on Windows PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, so power up your favorite gaming machine and join the fight. We’ll see you in-game!

As a reminder, new seasons begin on the first Thursday of every other month. We’ve included a projected 2021 calendar of season start dates below!

Start Date (PDT)
Season 31 November 4, 2021
Season 32 January 6, 2022
5 Likes

Welcome all to S30!

What is everyone’s new season’s resolutions?

Thinking this season I might OTP Ball.

If anyone’s interested in discussing or sharing tips to improve I also made a Discord server:

2 Likes

Just as a friendly reminder everyone! I noticed a lot of players getting season banned during season 29 reported in the technical discussion forum. Please make sure that if you encounter a technical issue when playing Competitive, try to finish the current match, but then avoid requeuing for Competitive Play until you take the time to sort out any issues. Penalties will never be reversed for leaving Competitive matches regardless of the reason.

4 Likes

Can we remake the season numbers already? Make it to “Year X Season Y” or something like that. I start to lose track of what each season had to offer.

1 Like

The better way to figure that out is check your Player Icons or Sprays Season 1 through 21 were map themed icons and sprays, 22 and on where hero weapon themed.

I mean gameplay wise. It was easier to follow when there were new maps heroes or functions but now we can only divide them with returning metas.

Ah fair enough… yeah, I track major changes in the dev post archive in terms of technical changes to the ruleset. Unfortunately there have been no major changes to Competitive for several seasons now, unless you count the Global Play matchmaking changes and Crossplay addition.

1 Like

Wow so any new cool additions? Anything? Or did we flip the number

welcome to season 30 you still have no balance patches, no content, we havent fixed the ladder, we cant even be bothered to make a skin, we still dont punish leavers

2 Likes

The ladder is fine. There are much more pressing issues to be addressed.

2 Likes

OTP is actually a good strat, not worrying about hero selection and counters so on. Sadly, ball is maybe the only viable tank to one trick. Yeatle got to rank 1, 4750sr! By almost otp ball! I might try it with Winston.
Or orisa? I just want to excel on one hero, not be decent at 5 (as it stands :frowning:).

2 Likes

Go with Reinhardt! You already have 80% win rate on him! I believe in you!

1 Like

With 2 hours played, it is not so surprising.
Ranking up<fun and greatly improving. Plus, with one hero it is easier to track your stats and winrate.

1 Like

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME add more avoid slots already. 3 is not enough in bronze. Just had 5 players all blame me for not healing. The other support was CLEARLY throwing as mercy. I reported everyone not that it does any good. However it makes me feel better.

3 Likes

isnt leaderboards supposed to drop today

1 Like

Will Overwatch 2 go back to using a rating system. Right now you are using a sorting system that uses input other than player ability to put players into certain boxes. A lot of us started this game when it was first released and it was rather toxic. Leaving a match was the easiest way to get out of that environment. It was assumed that another season would come along and start over. I quit the game after realizing that wasnt the case. A friend of mine kept playing and never left bronze. I assured him that it was because this is a sorting system and not a rating system. So after 4 years he bought another account(which we both now suspect is your secret motive for this) and now he is gold on the verge of platinum playing with an entirely different group of players. Now, mind you, my friend is a 40year old school teacher and only left matches early the first few seasons. Since then he has made sure to endorse and never leave and make sure he does all the right things. We both suspected but were shocked when we both rerolled and started playing together again. The game is actually fun, a lot better than when it first came out. So my question again is, are you going to have a rating system for overwatch 2 or a sorting system?

1 Like