We need an Official answer on One Tricking. 🎲

AKA, it’s not reportable. However, it’s obviously frowned upon by the majority of the Competitive Community.

So again we get this non-answer. Blizzard keeps trying to have their cake and eat it too, because one-tricks buy loot boxes too right?

You can’t encourage team play in a team based game but then turn around and say it’s OK to Hero squat in a Competitive Mode. It’s one or the other. This is why people keep creating these threads and you have implemented band-aid “fixes” like Avoid As Teammate.

You guys really need to implement better IN-GAME tools that allow people to form teams of like-minded individuals and do not punish people for grouping up like you currently do with 6 stacks. If people don’t want to group with one-tricks, they should not have to. In turn, I’m sure one-tricks would rather not be grouped with players that don’t want them on their team.

I’m not a game Dev but the solution really doesn’t seem like rocket science to me. I don’t understand why it’s taken this long to implement.

10 Likes

No offense but that sounds like a ‘copy and paste’ fob off answer to me. It would be nice to get something concrete, even though I’m not a one trick, as it appears players are getting suspended for one tricking and getting nowhere with appealing. Unfortunately that kinda reminds me of the ‘copy and paste’ thread post on the Mercy megathread too (or megavoid). What are those appealing supposed to do, paste a URL to this thread pointing out that one tricking is allowed when appealing?

3 Likes

Players are getting suspended for one tricking badly. Nobody cares if you’re a god-tier Symmetra one trick that can carry the game. They care if everyone else is trying their hardest and you’re just sitting there feeding ultimates because it’s impossible to work around you.

I agree, there’s no arguing that if someone is performing badly on a one trick hero then they should switch and be able to adapt based on the situation (e.g. getting countered). However, there’s an unknown line as to what is bannable and not bannable regarding one tricking. I don’t want to report someone who’s performing badly as a one trick if that is actually constituting being a false report, but if it isn’t a false report then I’ll happily do so. So I’m from the other side who’s not a one trick but wants to know if it’s truly reportable. Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:.

Honestly, if there was a minimum message length to accompany reports I feel it would cut down on ones used by man-babies to attack other comp players.

If you can’t add an actual coherent message the length of a tweet at least to a report its not likely to be a reportable matter and then at least you’d be able to separate whitenoise reports when someone is spamming more or less the same junk against everyone and those that detail exactly what the person did.

1 Like

sounds like poor teamwork and a deserved report

3 Likes

It IS possible for the majority of the competitive community to be wrong, you know.

2 Likes

I submitted an appeal and was told I would be guilty of GM abuse if I continued.

I was reported for “inactivity” and “putting turrets in spawn” and “feeding” simply because I was playing Torbjorn. None of those accusations were true. They were made up from whole cloth.

• Support told me they did not review any video evidence
  • The only time I put a turret in spawn is at the door before a match starts
  • They only time I am inactive is when I have to wait for the team to respawn, otherwise…
  • … I am reported as “feeding” when the rest of the team dies and I am killed.

At the time these fake reports were filed, I had a 60% win rate with Torbjorn at 300 games and was in the top 95 percentile. I was reported pre-emptively by 4 stacks who were tilting in the spawn room.

I don’t use voice chat and there is no OW text chat in game on console. I received 6 aggressive expletive-laden DMs a night during this period and reported them to MS, but Blizz support didn’t want to see them.

In short… organized tilting groups caused me to lose my love of the game. As far as I can tell, the “false reporting” detection system fails entirely if a whole group blames one person for hero choice, which is exactly what you said they could not report for.

Saying that hero choice is not reportable can not be retconned or excused by saying “how effective is the hero” especially when the rest of the team is failing just as much as you are.

It was really rotten and the whole support culture of “oh, uh, well, if you didn’t actually do this, you probably did something else wrong in the past” is terrible.

10 Likes

Oh right, right…it’s everyone else that’s the problem.

rolls eyes

2 Likes

If you get suspended by those reports, and you honestly have done nothing wrong, appeal the decision and keep appealing it if they reject your appeal.

What you’re describing is abuse of the reporting system and is, itself, an actionable offense.

The raging justice high™ you should get when a GM finally takes you seriously should keep you going for the next month.

I just said that I was told by Support that if I kept appealing I would be suspended / banned for GM Abuse.

They said absolutely nothing other than what was C&P above

• No abusive chat because I no longer use voice chat
  • No inactivity because I was not inactive or milling about in spawn. During the period of time I was not even experiencing lag
  • No feeding because, 1: the turret does no generate ult for being destroyed, and 2: I wasn’t dying any more than the other people on my team… usually less, on average.

On the other hand:

• I often had Reins who would stand facing me swinging their hammer and refuse to put up their shield
  • Mercys who would follow me out of re-spawn only to take their healing beam off of me as soon as an enemy was encountered, then stand facing me and firing their gun
  • A variety of tilted players spamming “punches” at me in the middle of a battle
  • And these same players would send me abusive direct messages

So now that I’m afraid to play my favorite (and best) hero, my SR dropped around 300 and my win rate / percentile plummeted. I don’t really care about that, though. I care about how Blizzard enabled trolls by allowing fake reports sent en masse to have an effect without review or evidence, and how, in turn, Blizzard supports the idea that hero choice is reportable while the official statement explicitly says otherwise.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes, so sorry to hear of this experience :frowning:. It’s awful getting contradictory information, but this isn’t the first time it’s happened. The Mercy megathread is another prime example of contradictory information, they say they’re listening to our feedback but some of us proved in the thread that they aren’t based on ‘read posts’ on the profile stats. This one trick thing has been an ongoing topic, where support pretty much imply or say it’s bannable and official statements on the forum say it’s not. It’s as if two departments aren’t communicating with each other. I’d like to know if it is or isn’t truly bannable so that I know when it’s right to submit a report or not to submit a report. I don’t want to risk getting suspended for false reports unintentionally.

AKA, say what i want or you’re wrong.

You got your answer, you can’t report onetricks trying to win.

Then contact them over twitter. It’s a different team.

And again, this is all assuming that you’re not outright lying to us to make yourself look good.

Wow, it’s almost like you get reported for being a disrespectful player. That has nothing to do with one tricking.

If people get banned for ‘one tricking’ they actually got banned for being a scummy player.

Correlation not causation, my dude.

1 Like

Can we get an explicit statment that character choice cannot be assumed to be malicious, and is not reportable, regardless of past profile data on any of the 12 players, and/or if someone refuses to use text or voice communication?

I understand you can’t report one-tricks. I just want options so I don’t have to be grouped with them. As does the majority of the Comp Community.

1 Like

And they gave you the option to avoid 2 players. If they increase the number, history will repeat itself, and they will remove it because people will abuse it.

2 is fine for Master+ but not nearly enough for Platinum and below. How will increasing that number be “abused”? One-Tricks are the exact reason why Avoid As Teammate was even created. It’s not for toxic players (as that’s what the report system is for), but it’s to give players more control over who they are grouped up with. 2 is not going to be enough for the lower-ranks, so hopefully it’s expanded.

1 Like

This,

…and this,

…are mutually exclusive. So, really, this is a nonanswer that accomplishes nothing.

18 Likes