We need an Official answer on One Tricking. 🎲

For all the One Tricks out there, they need an answer.

Alright, so I do not one trick. But my friend is a one trick Grand Master Mercy with 600+ Hrs on her. She plays nothing else in comp.

My other friend is a one trick Grand Master Widow. Over 700+ Hrs.

My Widow friend gets banned for getting reported too many times. Blizzard claims he was throwing when he clearly was/is not. People just complain when they lose and then report. Blizzard’s excuse: Not communicating and switching.

But would anyone ever report a mercy one trick? Do you think she will ever get banned for one tricking mercy? This is a double standard.

So we need to know Blizzard. Why are we getting mixed messages? Is it bannable or not? You say one thing but clearly its the opposite. Also, where is the rule that someone has to know more than one hero for comp? Playing bad is also not reportable, but clearly that may not be the case either.

The community needs clarity.

Would you rather have them one trick the hero they are really good at, or swap onto something they are completely uncomfortable with because thats how you want the comp to look even though they are probably going to die a lot and feed?

60 Likes

One tricking is fine but they should avoid competitive play if it is going to hinder the team’s versatility

4 Likes

Personally I think 1 tricks should avoid comp because it goes against the spirit of the game. All the report options basically say not to report for 1 tricking but people aren’t going to listen to that.

48 Likes

Oh, but if someone one tricked a tank. I am sure you would all for that right? Or maybe a support?

7 Likes

It’s not bannable, but they could argue not switching off the hero is poor teamwork/gameplay sabotage.

It’s a huge grey area which will probably never be fixed.

13 Likes

Sabatoge? No. Thats different.

One-tricking isn’t inherently bad. It’s one-tricking dps which gets you reported unless you’re godly (and even then). Nobody wants to be mean to the support or tank 1-trick because they’re doing what the reporters won’t. It’s a double-standard, yeah, and like most double-standards it’s probably here to stay

25 Likes

They have already stated that one-tricking is not bannable; however, the report system is automated and enough reports for anything will automatically trigger a ban. There’s no way around that. If the GMs then examine the report and feel that it’s justified, the ban was for something other than one-tricking.

9 Likes

1 tricks are only banned when Jeff is in a bad mood

7 Likes

That’s why I said they could argue it is. Never said it was.
Cause you’d invariable be sabotaging the potential for team compositions to work or the team to actually win by playing something that doesn’t flow.

People see things differently. You may say its not, someone else may say it is.

I don’t like one-tricking in any capacity, doesn’t matter who you one-trick.

13 Likes

We have so many statements on this. It’s not against the rules, you’re allowed to play whatever you want. However the team can’t protect you against all the false reports. So if you want to avoid being banned then learn to flex. So basically one tricking is allowed but frowned upon by a majority.

12 Likes

So here is a rebuttal.

Would you rather have them one trick the hero they are really good at, or swap onto something they are completely uncomfortable with because thats how you want the comp to look even though they are probably going to die a lot and feed.

4 Likes

Not bannable, you can play who you want within the rules of the game.
That being said, I would MUCH prefer playing with a support/tank onetrick than a DPS onetrick, and I think the high majority of the community feels the same. That’s why the Mercy isn’t getting reported while the widow is. Not saying reports are deserved, just explaining.
In most people’s eyes, support/tank onetricks are a pleasure to have on the team; DPS onetricks are an annoyance.

3 Likes

Inb4 the “if you can play x dps you can left click mercy/right click rein”

2 Likes

Yea but then thats completely unfair to others right? You cant say someone is fine because they play something you want while someone else deserves to be banned because they play something you dont want.

Afterall, perhaps its you that wont switch to meet their pick?

3 Likes

Poor teamwork has been removed so no real point in bringing it up.

Gameplay sabotage specifically says not switching is not reportable, so not much to argue there.

The problem is officially Blizz is saying one thing, but the opposite is happening.

8 Likes

Thats exactly what I am starting to see.

Because Overwatch has become a poster child for the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

My opinion? Blizzard doesn’t care, long as those Lootbox sales flow like the Spice in Dune.

Welcome to what happens when Blizzard rushes a game out in only two years. I figure, by about 2022 or so, Overwatch should be somewhere near actual Blizzard known quality.

3 Likes

Honestly I feel like the people that leave or throw because someone doesn’t switch are negatively affecting the game more than the one-tricks, assuming the one-tricks are actually trying and not trolls.

13 Likes