"We have a Tank crisis"

“We are trying to tackle DPS queue times”

“We know there is lack diversity in the support and Tank role”

“There are many supports and Tanks in the works”

Hmm…

I can’t be the only one wondering why they released a DPS in a time like this, right? This has to be one the most tone deaf things I’ve EVER seen them do.

I don’t care that the character of Echo is DPS, whatever, let her be DPS. BUT we didn’t need a DPS now. The queue is gonna JUMP. The Tanks are stale and boring, the queue time supports this. The supports are also stale and most get forced into situations they’re un-viable (Solo main heal Mercy/Baptiste)

ALSO

To everyone who’s gonna paste the comment “BuT jEfF SaId tHeRe ArE mOrE iN DeVeLoPmEnT”

Yeah, and how long did they take to release Echo after Sigma? Oh wait… 8 MONTHS. People have already been leaving in droves because of how stale support and Tank are getting and they added to the problem PLUS we are NOT going to get ANY help with the issue for at least another 8 MONTHS

How is this okay?

78 Likes

And now let it sink in that they are actively holding back Support and Tank Heroes just so they can release multiple heroes with the launch of OW2 :joy:

I honestly expected them to release a Support or Tank now and release a new DPS together with 3-4 Supports/Tanks at OW2 release so the DPS Q won’t skyrocket.

But it seems they had other plans :woman_shrugging:

37 Likes

My guess is because the supports and tanks in the works are, ya know, still in the works.

They released what they had. The real question is what would you rather receive, a new hero now, or wait yet another 6 months for something?

9 Likes

Another six months if it means that hero is actually in one of the roles that DESPERATELY needs it. For both queue time health and the health of the other roles

6 Likes

Yeah, makes the devs look pretty disconnected with the player base and the game’s primary issue right now (queue times) to release a damage hero.

And don’t get me wrong, I get that damage needs content and all that, but… no players got ANYTHING since Sigma. Content’s been starved for EVERYBODY since Sigma. It’s a horrible idea to add content to what already has by far the most, especially after saying they would work on making the current stale and unrewarding tank and support content more rewarding and satisfying to play.

At this point give them something, no matter how small, to let tanks and supports know they’re not being forgotten. Because no matter what you play, it certainly looks like they’re doing just that. 2x bans on the smallest categories, nerf after nerf, and now this.

The future of these two roles is all but uncertain at this point, an add-on to an over-saturated category in both choices and players is a bad look.

27 Likes

They’re trying to sabotage their own game by making all they tank and supports quit out of boredom/frustration, leaving the DPS with infinite queue times.

At least that’s the only way I can make sense of it.

14 Likes

People still believe those devs? They have been saying that they are working at 6 tanks and supports since Ashe .

So let’s suppose that this was true (which I don’t believe it is the case), we had Bap and Sigma in the meantime, so it means we have… 4 more characters?

Meanwhile we know that we are having at least 2 new dps (Sojourn and Echo).

Which makes those 4 characters(that we don’t know if its going to be 3 supports/ 1 tank, 2 tanks/2 supports or even 3 tanks/1 support)… Moot.

8 Likes

My theory, (and I am not letting it go until multiple devs that are not Jeff/ Jeoff tell that it was not the case) is that we not only we had less heroes because of OW2.

It was because they had 2 new dps heroes almost ready (Sojourn and Echo), so they had to catch up or the outrage would be worse.

Not only that, something happened that made Mauga unable to be released. He might have been op. His abilities might have clashed badly with other characters(for example, if his ult made him in a enraged mode [stronger, faster , and maybe even unable to be Cc’ed] and that made him unkillable and able to one hit ko when nanoing him or any damage boost made him unstoppable). Hell, his sillouette might have been too close to Rein’s. Regardless of what it was, something went very wrong.

And those factors are why Sigma is so badly designed both in gameplay AND in character design.

It all makes sense now.

3 Likes

Also if they rotate those ban schedule of 1-2-1, 1-1-2 and 2-1-1 and Echo will remain on PTR for usual 3 weeks ban rotation will go back to 2-1-1 again when she come out and imagine those Q times with 2 tanks banned and ppl trying to play a new hero.

9 Likes

Dear god. I wouldn’t be surprised at upwards of an hour.

2 Likes

Chances are she won’t be available for competitive play immediately, and there’s no hero pools in QP.

1 Like

There are only so many tanks you can make, before they become boring and similar, not that sigma had any real effect on the queue times, back when he came, neither would a new support/tank really.

The limitations for making DPS are far less restrictive compared to tanks and supports (At least properly balanced ones that is). Next in line was DPS to get a new hero, not surprising, i don´t think they care about other things, when it comes to a very established ritual of release.

1 Like

Yea, right. I forgot there’s also 2 week ban in competitive for new heros. It wasn’t an issue for a year now.

1 Like

They know about the problem, they just don’t care. The whole character feels like it was retconned at some point, I can hardly believe it took them so long to develop such a simple character.

5 Likes

She’s not that simple, her duplicate ability might be a pain in the bottom to code. I kinda understand WHY she is developed that way, it’s just a questionable choice.

See, Echo seems to be somewhat a driving force to OW2 plot, and probably one of the main heroes in a campaign. So she’s a dps cuz playerbase just like playing dps far more than other roles and since they wanted Echo to be that way. But she kinda doesn’t feel like it. She was made to be a peacemaker, of course in a real world you need to rip and tear to stop wars and make everyone fear a total destruction of the world in case of conflict, but OW is not that kind of a story. So it feels like Echo supposed to stop omnic crisis with something like power of friendship, love and compassion, not just shoot everyone to stop them shooting others. It’s too realistic.

2 Likes

Nothing about Dr. Liao’s intentions or Echo’s character denoted a DPS archetype, it honestly feels like that TikTok challenge where people get their friends to jump and then kick out their legs to crack their skull on the floor. Just look at the forum reaction, and that tells you how incredibly bad of a job they did at setting expectations. Like The Last Jedi bad.

8 Likes

This is very likely an OWL decision…

3 Likes

I didn’t get it either, they talk so much about these problems and ways to fix it but they simply throw at us a DPS character that’ll increase the queue time for DPS players and will not fix anything.

I just don’t understand where they think that’ll lead.

11 Likes

Yea, that’s what I’m talking about. in real world, what countries do to stop terrorism? They send armies to fight and kill terrorists. Cuz “dudes lets not blow things up” methods not working. So yea in that case a peacemaker character is a dps role. There’s a war? You need a peace? Well let’s just eliminate either side of a conflict. Congrats, the war is stopped, and you’re awesome. But OW is a fictional story, it may work other way. it feels right for it to work other way. So she easily can be a support lorewise and actually solve those conflicts through a conversations.
Anyway I think Echo just was made a dps to make majority of a playerbase to want to play her. That’s it.

Yeah, tank players are what you’re worried about.

I don’t buy it.

By the logic of “but queue times!” - why should they have made Echo support? The support’s aren’t what’s holding players back, the game’s queue times in a chokehold. Considering there are more tanks than supports and yet significantly less tank players than supports, they should halt all hero development and release only tanks, right?

No, of course not, because support players good. Damage players bad. Upvote the threads about dps tears, flag the threads about support tears. :laughing:

This forum is so embarrassing

1 Like