Voice Chat Issue

Issue: Voice chat does not work. I can join, for example, team chat but cannot hear anyone or speak to them. The game shows me as being muted or not having a mic, I am unable to unmute. I also do not see players’ names showing up if they are speaking. When I join a voice chat, the text that usually shows up (“You have joined Team Chat. There are x people in this chat.”) does not show up.

I have checked and messed with Windows sound settings to no avail. I have tried every combination of in-game settings I could imagine. I have submitted a support ticket and followed every instruction given, and I gave every file they requested. I have changed the port settings, the firewall settings…I have tried different networks. Nothing seems to be working.

Please help.

7 Likes

Having the exact same issue since a couple of days/weeks (not sure when it started exactly).
Microphone and Speakers work correctly as in other programs they work fine (at the same time, using teamspeak for instance), however in blizzard app and in overwatch the mic does not register sound and in overwatch the voice also doesn’t play sound.
So I can hear normal game sounds just fine, but voice isn’t playing.
I’m in the correct channel, I see the correct number of people, I see the icon showing me people are talking, but I just don’t hear them. Also when I push to talk it doesn’t register anything.
Worked fine before and haven’t changed any settings beforehand.

Have tried exiting and rejoining channel, have tried disabling other devices in windows, have tried selecting default device and specific device in overwatch settings, but nothing seems to help.

I really think something changed on Blizzards end, seeing as it worked before just fine and I’m guessing it stopped working after a patch (either in overwatch or in the blizzard app).

2 Likes

Are you currently on a home network? What is your current headset/mic setup (provide model numbers if possible)

I am having the same issue where I cannot unmute myself for several MONTHS now. I’ve messed aroundwith all my settings ingame and on my pc yet nothing has changed. I put in a support ticket that just led me another dead end where there was just nothing more I could do. My headset is just an old wireless ps3 headset but it has no issues with working with any other apps, only overwatch. I have tried using other headsets but there was no change either. This was never an issue when I first got overwatch it just happened out of no where and I got spammed with [voicechat error] send help, I cant even play competitive

I am currently on a home network, meaning I am using my home connection.
My network settings in Windows (10 build 1709) however are set to Guest/Public.

My microphone is a Samson C03U USB Microphone.
My Speakers are the Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakerset which is connected to the Realtek HD Audio device of my motherboard (Asus Rog Strix Z370-F Gaming)
Both are set to default audio device.
I also have a Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam which has a built in microphone, but I’ve already set it to disabled in order to make sure it doesn’t have a conflict.
I’ve also disabled the Stereo Mix recording device and the Realtek Digital Audio Output of the Realtek HD audio card.
My monitor (Iiyama G-Master GB2488HSU) but I’ve also disabled those in Playback devices.

Just to be clear, having those devices enabled or disabled makes no difference for my issue.
However I used to have all enabled and there was no problem before.

Just to be sure I’ve also restarted my Internet Modem/Router as I saw somewhere it might be a connection issue, but it made no difference.

One thing I’ve noticed though in my search through several forums and internet sites is that there appears to be a relation with USB microphones.
Somehow it seems as though the Blizzard app/Blizzard games are having a hard time getting USB microphones to work without issue.
Usually those devices work fine in other programs (Teamspeak, Discord, Mumble, Windows recorder) which is the case with me as well.

Exact same issue with me! Except I can connect into one voice chat channel exactly once each time I start up OW, and never again after unless I completely restart. I’ve tried every ‘fix’ I could find too, with no luck. Hoping you get a reply!

i have the exact same big problem and its starting today in my placem. matches… the weird thing is on the eu server it works absolutely fine only on na server i have no choice to come in the voice chat to talk with my team on p my mic is closed and i cant open it… it makes me so sad really… i play only na server since season 3 and i dont wanna play ranked on eu pls help me guys :frowning:

From what we’ve seen, players may have issues if the sample rate on the mic is set too high. This can often be the case for standalone USB and XLR mics. I’d suggest going into the Windows Recording devices. From there right click the mic and go to Properties > Advanced. Make sure the default format dropdown is not set above 48000 Hz.

Im in the same boat, 3 week with tech support and cant find the issue, i know its a combo of hardware and overwatch some where failing. Voice chat work on blizzard app, but not ingame in overwatch .

1 Like

I’m getting my voice chat glitched, Seems to be happening random. I’ve played 4 comp matches and 2 of them no voice chat was working. It showed that I was in it but by myself and no voice was being picked up, Goto next match and then it works perfect. Something is messed up since last patch.

Having the same issue. Played a comp game and the comms did not work for my entire team as well as players on the opposing team. Something wonky is going on with Blizzard’s end. Another comp match it worked at the start and then died midway. Please fix this, frustrating as hell trying to play with a broken game.

2 Likes

Yeah this is definitely a Blizzard issue. Voice chat was down for both sides in all but one of my past 5 games.

3 Likes

Same here, Voice chat isn’t working for me either.

2 Likes

here is the latest…

team voice seems to magically work IF there are ppl WITHIN the team that are grouped with each other. like, you join a team and theres a 3-stack in it or whatever.

also, it worked fine when i myself was grouped with one person. once we joined the team, we could get into team voice just fine but before we joined the match, group voice did NOT work and we both saw the slashed out/muted icon for ourselves. haha .

just now, i played another qp game and no one grouped at all so it was a ‘normal’ collection of 6 random ppl, and no joy on voice comms.

something is screwy. cannot play comp like this, obviously…

nothing about my hardware has changed at all and it worked perfectly before, and works perfectly only during the specific circumstances above, so… yeah

blizz, its not me, its you

1 Like

just kidding. once or twice, in qp, been a team which had random ppl plus a group of 2 or 3, whatever, and voice comm didnt work. random. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. fix yo shiz, blizz

1 Like

i was playing comp in a group and vc wasnt working for anyone on our team

This could be it for me, I know i’ve changed these settings in the past.
I’ll give it a try to see if this works.

Too bad, but it doesn’t seem to work.
I’ve looked at the settings and tried all of the below options:
1 channel, 16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)
1 channel, 16bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)
1 channel, 16bit, 22050 Hz (AM Radio Quality)
2 channel, 16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)
2 channel, 16bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)
2 channel, 16bit, 22050 Hz (AM Radio Quality)

In the blizzard app settings -> voicechat -> test microphone, I still see a response for about a microsecond and then nothing.
On all settings it responds in Windows just fine.

2 Likes

Some extra info (might be helpful)
MSInfo:
pastebin[dot]com/2U69P4C4

DxDiag:
pastebin[dot]com/KZjJSMjB

I’ve had similar issues since I bought the game shortly after launch. When I first run the game, my voice chat will work fine. Then after a while it will just stop working. It tells me there’s 0 players in voice, even when the rest of the team is in there.

The only way I can fix this, is either plug my mic in, or restart my PC.

Today I actually got an error message pop up saying “Voice Chat Error 1007”. Telling me to check my audio devices, and networking. It doesn’t make any sense, since nothing has changed while I was playing the game. Why would it just suddenly be a problem?