Valorant Banning smurfs, dota 2 banned 40k smurf account Overwatch? Smurf problem downplayed

While the competition keep respecting the community and customer… Overwatch team says “smurf not a big deal”

Dota2 40k Account banned for smurfing:
valve-bans-more-than-40000-dota-2-accounts-for-abusing-matchmaking/
dota-2-updates-valve-tackles-account-boosting-and-enhances-smurf-detection-to-identify-cheaters/

Valorant banning smurfs:
youtube/watch?v=vrSJ_TTwdkI
valorant/riot-cracks-down-on-valorant-smurfs-with-new-ranked-restrictions-1474843/

fortnite banning smurfs:
/fortnite/epic-games-bans-smurfs-in-fortnite-chapter-2-season-3-competitive-update-1383149/

Apex banning smurfs:
/apex-legends-available-now-on-steam-while-419-top-players-banned-for-smurfing-exploits-91283/

While Blizzard has NOTHING about smurfs on roadmap, even at OW2, it maybe addressed some day… maybe.
SHAME…

100 Likes

I really don’t think it’s a big deal :confused:

I’m in gold, have been for ages, fairly regularly I play well enough and the other team have asked what my ‘real’ rank is… It’s gold haha. I think people just perceive smurfs everywhere but the problem is NO WAY as bad as people say it is.

I honestly cannot remember the last time someone on the opposite team played so well I thought they were a smurf…

20 Likes

Its something different to ban accounts you can do for free vs accounts people paid for…

9 Likes

Blizzard DOES ban smurfs.
Smurf = someone who throws to intentionally stay in lower ranks

9 Likes

Blizz refuses to call it a ‘problem’ as long as ignoring it makes money

24 Likes

Technicaly players ban them by reporting if they do it long enough. Not blizzard. But they arent usualy banned and you can derank thousand of SR without issue.

4 Likes

Jeff - “We don’t have a Smurf problem our matchmaker puts you in the right spot after 15 matches” :roll_eyes:

Oh my child… my sweet, sweet Summer child… you go on back to playing now.

15 Likes

But what everyones saying is completely backwards according to my reality lol. I RARELY see anyone that impresses me enough to think they are 1000sr above me. Ever. I think most of the time people are just making excuses for not climbing, that’s my point.

Doesn’t it intrigue you most people moaning about smurfs are bronze to gold? :wink:

8 Likes

All I can say is I see them daily in QP, about ever other game at least. Comp not so much but they are there no question.

It makes perfect sense they do, but OTOH, I see a LOT of people in Diamond complaining too by percentage… about equal. The problem affecting bronze to Gold doesn’t make it any less real.

3 Likes

But how do you know they are smurfing if everyones profile is hidden ><

2 Likes

Profiles literally have nothing to do with it. I don’t even need to look. Let’s be sure what we mean in this case by “Smurfing” - we are talking alting to get a free ride up. Not true Smurfing, ie yo-yoing your SR.

3 Likes

Ok, well that makes more sense, im talking about traditional smurfing. Why would someone make an alt just to get back where they were? I’m so confused haha. What a waste of time.

2 Likes

Blizzard won’t take direct action against smurfs because if they make a statement against it, then they’re losing out on thousands of purchases. Smurfs don’t buy just one extra account, they buy several, sometimes even more than ten. If Blizzard took action against it then they’d be losing out on the fact that they can do nothing while insecure players re-buy the same product a dozen times to make themselves feel better.

If OW goes f2p it might change, but not right now. All that can be done is educating players that smurfing behavior is bannable and letting the reporting system do some work. It doesn’t change much, there are too many smurfs that try to spin a narrative that they’re a protected class of people. But reporting bans do happen, no matter what is said otherwise.

6 Likes

I have given up trying to draw the distinction (thank you Jeff for forever confusing the community) on this. Its just a real problem because all new accounts start at what amounts to the median of the game in MMR - this means the best and the worst are constantly thrown together with everyone around the median forced to suffer. It makes mathematical sense, but it doesn’t make good for a good game experience.

I’d like to see games level-locked to 25 and under where 3/4 of the players are Alts now or console refugees anyhow. They way outnumber the real new players (there are some believe it or not) and they can effectively carry them. Now, we get a “Smurf” on one team, often a 2-man tank stack for 70% the effort to get to comp, and 1-2 new players on the other side and its a bloodbath.

2 Likes

I understand what you mean… Just not why people do it, seems like a waste of cash and time to me. Hey, I came here from console, wish I had a year ago I was better on PC than console in about 3 weeks ha. Get ready for F2P :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, it will literally make QP unplayable and drive people to Comp.

Just report everyone with private profile (4head). If you’re honest and not smurfing you’ve got nothing to hide and will leave your profile public.

But… It seems like 99% of people have it hidden lol. Don’t think that’s a good plan :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s only logical? Where you gonna smurf? In GM after climbing down from which rank?

Imagine posting a bunch of fake links :joy:

Have you actually played Valorant?

2 Likes