Using Visor is Cheating. Period

People love to try and interpret company ToS like their lawyers working for them.

For all those that don’t get what he’s saying: Blizzard can do whatever it wants whenever it wants. You want to know what their stance will be? Look at their other games.

Blizzard hates third party software but oddly enough Hearthstone has a multitude of third party deck trackers because the data it gives is already available to the players.

This is why I don’t think it’s cheating. The mere fact Blizzard hasn’t made an announcement and outright banned it the first day it was getting talked about should be a huge hint.

Whatever “actionable insight” it gives is already there in game. You not using a program to gain information that’s not available to you (seeing through walls or getting a live feed on enemy ult progress), and your not having a program modify your play (aimbots).

Chances are Blizzard is looking at the Visor app as an opportunity. Blizzard has been dragging their feet on implementing a teaching feature for game sense, positioning, timing and resource management.

If Visor is doing a job for them and isn’t charging money for they probably don’t have an issue with it and might actually enjoy it being made.

2 Likes

Ever since I can remember people have tried. It subsided for a while, and now they are back at it.

There is no explanation they can give as to why their incite is any better then the average person, it just somehow is.

There is no interpretation. Their definition is clear and not ambiguous.

And just like the post you quoted, that is exactly the case. The wording is made to prevent any loophole from even any 3rd party.

Doesnt matter if its already there or not. It provides an advantage to those not using the program as the information is facilitated.

Just because it doesnt do that does not mean it isnt considered cheating. Read over the definition by Blizzard again.

May very well be the case, but until Blizzard endorses it, using Visor is cheating de facto.

There is no insight that was given. Only statement of fact.

However, insight backed up by actual evidence is better than the average persons.

in before Blizzard announces a partnership with Visor at blizzcon

2 Likes

At that point they might as well just incorporate the elements into the game.

Its not a fact, no matter how many times you tell yourself it is.

It’s pretty clear to me that Blizzard only considers programs cheats if they either actively modify / tamper with the game (Visor doesn’t. It only reads what your screen displays), or automate actions for the player (Visor doesn’t). The only somewhat ambiguous language is “changes and/or facilitates the gameplay or other functionality”, however I believe this is targetted more at programs that might reveal hidden information like wall-hacks, enemy comms, etc. Visor only consolidates information that is readily available, that you have observed on your screen.

The popular argument I’ve heard against it is, “It’s cheating, it’s like having a coach!” Well, which is it? Last I checked, having a coach wasn’t cheating so long as they were still letting you play the game yourself. It isn’t cheating to listen to a friend watching over your shoulder. Perhaps more relevant, it isn’t cheating to look at the chat feed if you’re streaming on twitch. Both of those scenarios involve somebody seeing what your screen displays and giving you advice. Why would anything change in Visor’s case?

2 Likes

It’s ambiguous because they don’t need to enforce any of their ToS and can without causation. Until they definitively state it’s cheating it’s not because Visor doesn’t directly fall into the category of a mod.

You can say the same thing about deck trackers and they’re allowed. It’s called a handicap and this one is far from game breaking. Especially compared to deck trackers.

The definition doesn’t matter. Blizzard is under no obligation to enforce any of it’s ToS.

Possibly. Blizzard needs a teaching tool for the game and they seem to be unable (or not motivated to do it)

1 Like

According to Blizzard’s definition of cheating, Visor is de facto cheating. That is a fact.

Refusing to accept it does not make it false no matter how many times you tell yourself it is.

What you believe is irrelevant. The definition is clear and Visor falls into that definition.

That is facilitating gameplay.

Actually, having them coach you while you are in a game is cheating by Blizzards definition. It falls under a 3rd party method to facilitate gameplay.

And by Blizzard’s definition, that is cheating.

Nothing has changed. It is cheating by Blizzard’s definition.

The difference between you and I in this entire thread is I am not making a claim about the validity how Blizzard enforced the Terms of Service, you are.

I cannot be incorrect. I have not stated that Blizzard’s ToS states anything, you have. And, you are wrong.

I do not refuse the existence of the Terms of Service, only your interpretation of it, which is incorrect.

1 Like

Actually thats not how it works. I advise you to read the End User License Agreement again. It is stated that it is cheating unless expressly authorized by Blizzard. Last I checked it wasn’t.

Yes, because it is expressly authorized by Blizzard and therefore not cheating. If they create an aimbot that costs $100 a week and say that it is allowed, then it wouldnt be cheating by their definition as they expressly authorized it.

It does matter. Its what we all agreed to by playing Overwatch.

Who said they were? I never said they have to ban anyone. They could ban no one. Fact is by their definition, it is cheating unless they expressly endorse it.

Please refer to a quote where I make a claim about how they “enforce” anything. I stated it was cheating. Period. I never said they should ban everyone using it. That is up to them.

You are. You refuse to accept the use of Visor is cheating when by Blizzards definition it is.

Stating what they said cannot be wrong. It is a documented statement.

I never interpreted the Terms of Service.

I restated a passage from the End User License Agreement. There was no interpretation to be made. Believing so is incorrect.

A fact is a fact and whether or not you believe it to be true, does not affect its validity.

The word cheat and any variation of this word appears only twice in

Cheating: Create, use, offer, promote, advertise, make available and/or distribute the following or assist therein:

cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;

This is the statement from the EULA containing both uses of the word.

The statement

The aforementioned category is “influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;”
Visor does not fall into this category. In no way does it fall into this category. Blizzard can deem it to do such a thing, but YOU can’t. You don’t speak for Blizzard.

1 Like

What you believe definitely is relevant when you’re trying to parse Blizzard’s anti-cheating policy.

The phrase “facilitates gameplay” is vague. At it’s broadest possible definition it could mean “allows the game to be played”. Clearly Blizzard does not think that anything the player can use to play the game is cheating, or else I should be banned, because I’ve been using a mouse, monitor, and keyboard. Under that definition, blizzard needs to weigh in on every single peripheral, display setting, etc. I haven’t heard anything about people getting punished for the number of hotkeys on their mice, or the display settings on their monitor, or their high refresh rate monitors, or their SSDs which allow them to select their best hero first.

It’s clear that Blizzard has no intention of policing every single product that is used to play the game, so it makes no sense to adopt the broad definition you are using.

2 Likes

There is no belief to be had.

Facts are not “beliefs” they are facts.

I am simply stating that unless otherwise noted, use of Visor is cheating by Blizzards definition.

That is intentional, and meant to encompass nearly everything that can be cheating unless Blizzard says otherwise.

Actually, it couldnt be the broadest possible definition. Facilitate means to make something easier.

Making something easier is distinct from the ability to actually perform said something.

Correct, because that does not fall under the definition of cheating.

I am not applying any broad definition. You are ascribing what you believe to be the definition of “facilitate” to something I am doing.

That is incorrect. I am simply stating fact with Blizzards own definition as the basis.

You are taking your belief as to what Visor.gg is and applying it to Blizzard’s loose definition of cheating.

It is up to Blizzard to determine what is cheating not you. Read and misunderstand all of the legal documents Blizzard provides. That’s on you, but stop telling other people false information.

And they have determined that unless they expressly authorize it, methods to facilitate gameplay are cheating, therefore, use of Visor is cheating de facto.

In order to misinterpret something, you have to interpret something. There is no interpretation being made. Simply a statement of fact.

There is no false information. The truth is, unless Blizzard expressly authorizes Visor, using it is cheating by their own definition. That is true and a fact.

Your voice does not get to extend to what Blizzard defines. You do not speak for Blizzard.

If you do not speak for Blizzard then you have zero ability to tell other people what Blizzard’s intentions are.

Blizzard makes the rules, Blizzard defines the rules, Blizzard enforces the rules. Your only job is to live by them, not repeat to us how you think a program is defined by them.

Edit:

Another Blizzard response that goes against what you have been saying Link.

Lazy isn’t the issue. Typically, Blizzard likes to have an answer to a problematic 3rd-party program before they make a statement on their position and implementation of their intended actions.

This means we’ll have to wait for the Blizz team to download, test, dissect, and create a means for detecting the use of the program in question. From there, they have to decide how they’ll enforce their stance and then they’ll make a public statement. This takes time, and no small amount of it.

so ban anyone in plat above then, because that is your logic

Now if the program could detect what hero’s footsteps were from the furthest range and give you the name of said hero and how far they are or where they are in relation to you, that would be cheating as no human would hear those footsteps. But it doesn’t do that, whatever a plat would know without it a bronze could learn so by your own logic if anyone naturally has the game sense that visor gives tips on they should be banned because of it.

Ultimately it’s blizzards decision and currently theirs the South Korea thing and gamescom so I doubt we will be getting a response till next week the earliest.

Also you are asking you be banned from the forums by constantly spout “ban visor users” as THAT is violating the Forums ToS.

But the plat player that does have the gamesense isn’t a 3rd party.
1st party is Blizzard
2nd party is the player

The bronze player that would use Visor, a 3rd party programm, to get the same gamesense as a plat is using a 3rd party programm. And thus uses Visor to gain an advantage over other bronze players. And that’s why Visor is cheating

2 Likes