[Update: Fix for all platforms is out] FPS drops after 1.38.0.2 update | Main tracking thread

I’m mainly playing on na. If that’s what you’re asking.

I to started getting these microstutters after the latest patch. I don’t remember it happening ever. Also got 2 game crashes / freezes.

I noticed that when the stutters happen my GPU temperature is below 60C (1060 3GB), while it’s always at 64C when utilized at 100%, meaning that it’s probably not being utilized to the full potential when the microstutters happen.

Latest NVidia drivers didn’t help.

The game is literally unplayable in it’s current state.
Extremely frustrating. I haven’t played for several days now and when I finally get some free time after work… fire it up only to get slammed with lag spikes every two seconds.

Welp… good thing I bought a bunch of games during Steam’s summer sale o_O… can’t play Overwatch until the QA team and the Devs fix these lag spikes.

People (and businesses) make mistakes. Releasing 1.38 into production and not realizing this stuttering issue… was a big one lol. I forgive though… I’m a systems engineer so I know how site reliability goes… especially during huge updates.

GOOD LUCK DEV TEAM! GODSPEED :pray:

Something with the code that added the sub-captions at the bottom of the screen caused text in the text box to drop frames. If they are having trouble finding the lines of code that is causing this, they should take the sub-captions out until it is fixed.

The Biggest thing ive noticed from friends online as well as posts in this thread, Not Everyone is affected, the Majority of the Community is, When they tested the patch before launch this probably didnt happen, From PTR to live something happened in between, Or they use such Godly Computers we would only dream of that the issue could not even be noticed while testing lmao idk. Pretty Sure something happened in between though and thats what they got to identify, Where it went wrong, why it happened, and how can they prevent/fix the issue going forward.

I Got my Super Modded Skyrim to keep me occupied in the mean time XD

1 Like

on xbox, chat commands causing the frame rate drop, any time someone says understood / group up / I need healing etc, way more noticeable when you’ve got people spamming them.

so i assume it’s something to do with the chat ui? window?? idk.

They recently (10 minutes as of this post) pushed a hotfix patch: 1.38.02.60038.

Seems like more of a diagnostic/debug change thats going to crash more gpus in the short term, while collecting more diagnostics in the long term.

This does worse than the summer frames drop issue for me (the normal 1.38.02.xyz) - it just makes the game unplayable entirely. I basically can’t get beyond an in-game loading screen without graphics issues where the game just locks (but chat is available). I’ll alt-F4 the client but notice D3DProxyuWindows lingering.

Yikes.

1 Like

I just checked, there is no update available.

Only for you. For us this started after THIS patch.

2 Likes

That 1.38.0.2 60038 is same patch im on (xbox) issue still exists

I mean…
Google is your friend right.

The issue existed since 2016.

2016 fps drops summer games
2017 fps drops summer games
2018 fps drops summer games
Guess what
2019 fps drops summer games

Someone asked how to fix future problems.

There is your answer.

Can you guys pin this thread until you fix it? Forum is getting spammy.

After patch I cant get any further than ingame main menu. If I try to join quickplay, arcades or even practice range it stays on loading screen so long that servers kicks me out for afk. I have done every tips’n’tricks forum mvp’s have gave us. Every other game in my rig works and overwatch has worked perfectly 3 years without any problems.

Updating driver, resetting driver settings and resetting overwatch settings helped for a day but now the problem is back again :confused:

1 Like

Hey Zuvykree, I might found the bug what is causing the frame drops and more.
Could you or the devs take a look at the video’s i posted here?

1 Like

Might seem silly, but simply, when you start the match, press Shift + Ctrl + C to hide chat and you’re good. Worked for me.

Doesn’t for me. Asap ppl start crying for heals and whatnot the problem is right there.

1 Like

almost 3 days and still no patch… i can play for like 1-2 Games and then its feels like im playing this game on a Gameboi… Pls fix it or atleast just remove the patch

1 Like

Seriously why is there no updates for 18+ hours. You post you have an idea of what’s wrong and are working a fix but nothing has changed. How about revert back to normal Overwatch and fix your summer games behind the scenes till it’s not broken. Instead we have to deal with an unplayable game while you sit in silence “fixing” it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t the only one complaining about this back then, but the issue was much less severe. I’m sure that people who gets 300 fps with ultra quality settings while streaming didn’t notice it at all but it was still there.

I’m just trying to help whoever is in charge of finding the culprit. The ‘any text in chat gives fps drops’ started with the ‘endorsement update’, for me and other people. IMO it has to do with the ‘new UI on top of the old UI’ thing, always felt messy, but that’s just a guess.

A lot of people are noticing it now because the drops are HUGE but the issue is actually old, that was my point.

1 Like

Hopefully something is done today. It may be an abusive relationship with OW, but it is still a relationship, I’m missing my partner and the quickie with the girl next door just ain’t cutting it.

Since patch day I’ve refused to play due to this stutter issue from comm wheel use.

I’d expected a faster resolution, due to the utterly game breaking nature of this issue; or at the least a temporary patch revert or disabling of comm wheel and chat function.

2 Likes