Unobtainable skins are very bad for the game

Not a good argument.

6 Likes

I mean what is the reward supposed to be for those who supported the game longer? Don’t they deserve something special too?

It’s a nice sentiment but rather against good business policy. In general you target new players because they are more likely to spend money as they don’t already have every thing. Also if a game constantly caters to “The old Crowd” it actively discourages people from joining in late.

I know many people that refuse to play a MMO more than a month after release due to this very reason. Especially games that “Grandfather” in old items or perks that new players can no longer get that have distinct advantages.

1 Like

Achievements, a lumpsome of loot boxes. A huge chunk of starting gold. Plenty of things that don’t require exclusives.

With rumours of OW2 switching over to a BP system i feel like this is going to get even worse in that aspect. I hope the new heroes atleast get some normal launch skins and event legendaries that comes back each year cause if they pull a paladins and only give bp skins to new heroes its gonna be just awful.

Speaking of paladins though, while it does have a bp system, its skins that were bp exclusive are later put either on shop rotations or in themed lootboxes later on.

I cant help but wonder how will we earn creds and what will be the rewards of level up in ow2 though. I wouldnt mind premium boxes going away but i would love if free boxes remained for level ups and arcade wins.

1 Like

What is a BP system?

A battlepass system. Ever since reveal, blizzard has been contemplating removing lootboxes (premium ones atleast) and implementing one in its stead. But BPs usually works as such:
It runs for a couple of months/weeks. You have free and premium rewards. You have its limited ammount of time to unlock as much as you can. And after that the items are usually gone for good if you missed on them. They MIGHT return as recolors/reskins later but that depends on the game.

Concidering BPs have really drained my enjoyement of many games i hope we still get a way to get credits and have some skins available and returning for events without having to do some absurdly difficult/specific challenges. If they dont have an alternative way to unlock things, new heroes are gonna get a big content drought cosmetic wise unless you really play 24/7 and didnt miss a thing.

1 Like

Then you just get people complaining about unobtainable achievements

Does anybody even care about loot boxes anymore?

How many threads have you seen of people complaining about unobtainable achievements in any game? The problem is when they add cosmetic rewards that can no longer be obtained. I have plenty of exclusive skins and I wouldn’t care if everyone could use them.

Does anybody even care about loot boxes anymore?

You serious? Of course people do. It gives you a lot of free cosmetics that you’d otherwise have to pay for.

A battlepass system. Ever since reveal, blizzard has been contemplating removing lootboxes (premium ones atleast) and implementing one in its stead. But BPs usually works as such:
It runs for a couple of months/weeks. You have free and premium rewards. You have its limited ammount of time to unlock as much as you can. And after that the items are usually gone for good if you missed on them. They MIGHT return as recolors/reskins later but that depends on the game.

This sounds aweful. Its already bad enough they are changing up so many things I love about heroes in overwatch 2. Now this.

I just googled “unobtainable achievements” right now and it seems a lot of players of Xbox games complain

I am. I refuse to believe anyone still playing cares about getting some sprays they won’t even use. If there’s a skin in an event they want, then they could just buy it with the 30k credits they have since duplicates give a lot. Especially since most players have a “main” and are unlikely to want to collect everything for the other heroes. If the rumors about Lootboxes getting axed in favor of a Battlepass are true, then one reason is likely that people just aren’t spending enough on boxes due to lack of interest.

I do think an exception should be made for Pink Mercy to return, at least just one time. The main reason being is if you refer to the timeline, Pink Mercy made its debut in 2018. Overwatch on Nintendo Switch released in 2019. The Nintendo playerbase never even had a chance to pledge their support towards the BCRF, so they could get Pink Mercy.

Maybe Blizzard will reconsider their stance with that taken into account.

Like I’ve said before. It could make a yearly return on breast cancer awareness month and even more money would be raised.

Just say you want pink mercy without the cause attached

Every argument for exclusive skins boils down down: I only have fun when I can have things other people can’t have, when other people have the same things I’m gonna pout and be a brat about it because other people have the things.

seriously it makes no sense to have timed exclusive stuff on digital content of all things. It doesn’t hurt anyone by allowing everyone to have it.

When this game is officially dead, one day it will be like any online game, the exclusivity will really mean nothing

5 Likes

It hurts Blizz lol

How?
Back up that claim.

Is it because Noobstomper69 who’s been playing since the game first release going to quit because the 14 year old Timmy who can’t go to Blizzcon was able to get the Demon Hunter Sombra skin?

2 Likes

Because they make more money selling limited time stuff. People buy due to FOMO. If they re-release exclusive stuff then people will be more hesitant to immediately buy because it will just come back later.

True, but over time they could make a lot more money. Besides. Many exclusive skins just require playing a bunch of games for the seasonal event.

People buy due to FOMO.

I prefer to call it IOMO(Inevitability of missing out). Almost nobody has all exclusive games since release.

If that were true then they would have already been doing it that way.

Oh I forgot about those. Those work the same way but the goal with them is to re-ignite player interest.

It will become a lot more apparent in the long run. Its true they would make much more initial money, but over time it would add up and surpass he old monetary gains. I am sure plenty of people bought the Atlantic skins even though they know that Atlantic skins will return one day.