Uh.. Experimental says it's "LIVE NOW"

Role Queue is fine. They just sat on their hands since then when it comes to a Tank desirability.

Priority Pass is good though. Hog/Zarya/Ball/Rein is good.

But Sigma/Orisa/D.va/Winston and heroes with “strong AntiDive” who aren’t offtanks, is a huge problem.

Been at this for over a year now, and it’s so blindingly obvious that they never should have tried to solve GOATs or DoubleBarrier at medium range. And should have focused on reducing it’s defences at close range.

I think that just means the Exc Card itself is live, not that the changes are in live game

IF the changes were live, it would say ‘Past experiments’

and it looks like the website hasnt been updated

yea i agree with that but if you look at from a business viewpoint maybe not. lets face it most poeple like dps. its just the way it is, people want to play the glory position. i kind of equate it to how in football the wide reciever, running back and quarterback is more glorious of a position then offensive lineman.

maybe more people leave because of queue times? tanks are leaving now because they are catering to their larger player-base and leaving them out to dry (priority passes for dps). game is stale and its all going downhill fast. people leave and having a small tank playerbase is bad enough so when they leave they created a big problem

solution would be too just buff tanks tremendously to do as much damage as dps so dps players realize dps just stinks so they’ll say hey i’ll just play tank lol. blizzard seems like they dont want to do this

So make Tanks that are appealing to DPS players.

I miss any "Tanks from FPS games"?

i think their whole plan is riding on the priority pass system. lets see how it works out or what they do. that would be a good idea actually but who knows what blizz has in mind

Well, how about these two “mechanics changes”

It would mean we were gaining them at a higher disproportionate rate compared to even our initial lopsided amounts of them.

Yeah, and that is expected, but it would mean that tanks / supports were trying out dps more than dps were trying out tanks / supports.

Given the size of hero’s by role, that is plausible.

Your right, but it wouldn’t explain a shift in proportion of players.

Yes there will always be more dps than tank players.

But that would give stable queue times.

Which is cool! This is healthy :slight_smile:

I’m very very happy to talk with people who want to think a problem though, and yes I can’t provide numbers, so saying well
… Where’s the numbers is a good reaction.

They better have some big changes there then.

Because priqueue is VERY stopgap.

thats sounds interesting. i wonder tho if blizzard would make a dramatic change like that to the way the game is currently. since everything they do is a small buff or small nerf to the base ability of a hero

maybe in overwatch 2 they have something similar in mind or design. a total rework of how the game will be played

I think if Overwatch doesn’t get queue times solved before Overwatch 2 launches, they are gonna be in a world of hurt.

They should try to fix the ugly and messy parts of the game, before the spotlight of a “sequel launch” is on the game.

which goes back to my business viewpoint. they are in trouble lol, i’m kinda interested if they will do something crazy and unexpected

Well, systems design and remixing existing content is literally all we’re gonna get till OW2 launches. So they might as well get to it.

I am VERY worried about the long term effects of priority pass.

DPS have a better game for it. Tanks / Supports which rely on their team more have a slightly worse one.

And we don’t have the pressure (queue times) which forced people who were DPS out one the imbalance got too big.

So, I expect the imbalance will grow and grow until priqueues can’t keep on top of it.

But there is no stepping backwards, since, the imbalance will be far worse…

PriQueue will hide and accelerate the problem, but it didn’t solve it.

That worries me

I think it’s just more incentive to double down on making Tanks more desirable.

Eventually they can lower the payouts for Priority Pass, so the negatives are less extreme.

Bribing people to play unfun heroes isn’t really sustainable in the long term.

1 Like

I’m glad too. Sorry don’t have the time to go point by point, but at the end of the day something is happening. Either one of us could be right.

I’m glad we could discuss this and potentially disagree without incident.

And you had a good reaction to me asking for the numbers. Many people get super defensive when I ask.

1 Like

Yes, but… It doesn’t look like they will.

I suspect they will see the current numbers from priqueue and say “mission accomplished!!”

They have the knife by their side. Tanks players are the minority. They can get abused if it means you will get 1000 dps-only players not quit the game every 1 tank player.

It’s a short sighted strategy because eventually the ship will sunk without tank or support players but they get to do it until o2 come out…this is their strategy

Very highly doubt it

There are other FPS where dps players can go but no one tank players can go, plus they are in HUGE minority so even if all the changes are bad their voices will never be heard by anyone. Blizzard knows that those players can take all the hits before ow2 so to keep the dps players from migrating to other games they nerf what dps players don’t want to deal with: the tanks

they just don’t like necromancy

oh wait mercy exists