Tweet from best Sombra main

Launch Brig, Moira and Ball all drove off a lot of players who in the first two cases felt value for skill was a problem, and the latter due to so much CC in the game. A lot of players already angry over CC, left stating Ball was the last straw. You cannot introduce “disruptors” into a team game without the impact being less teamwork.

1 Like

Let’s also not forget the health pack hacks! I can imagine a dive comp with like Ball/Tracer/Genji/Lucio. But yes, support, not healer.

I don’t play Sombra, so I am just chatting about it/no opinion on it, but I just hope she gets her place in OW2

1 Like

She’s worse than her OW1 iteration damage wise overall. Because now she has reduced damage and needs to hack to get the extra damage.

If the enemy team stays really grouped up and looks at you, you really struggle to do anything impactful. You dont have good range or an instant-kill headshot, or a wall, or a turret, or insane DPS, or displacement. And you no longer have the silence (at least in OW1 if you couldnt do much you could still shut down someone’s abilities for a while, allowing your team to capitalize.

The increased detection range is stupid. The increased hack time is stupid, especially since you NEED hack to actually do damage.

They need to revert her to the first alpha nerf. Fitzy said everyone thought she was crazy strong in the alpha and then she got like triple nerfed and then supports also got big buffs (remember alpha healing was low, so even less heals). They aren’t going to nerf supports, so un-nerf sombra.

The only change that wasnt bad overall was EMP. I EMPED both enemy DPS yesterday (soldier was guarding the widow I was spawnkilling) and I killed them both with one motion of aim in like 2 seconds. Extremely satisfying, but tbh half the time EMP is wasted & just a stat booster

3 Likes

I think they’re neglecting a big chunk of design space by trying to stick to an extremely dated Holy Trinity of Tank/Healer/DPS. It’s especcially problematic because even this game design terminology originally came from EverQuest, and EQ had a ‘Slower’ design role too, it wasn’t originally a trinity. They would provide tons of utility, empower allies, weaken enemies, etc: Enchanters, Bards, Shamans, and sometimes Rangers. WoW got rid of that by trying to distribute utility everywhere, and probably suffered for doing so.

DPS should be divided up into two classes at least. The first is DPS who do tons of situational damage but have virtually no utility, and their job is then to manufacture their ideal situation. Think Widow, Bastion, Reaper, Hanzo, Genji, etc - this person should always top the scoreboard for damage - that should be their only job, all their abilities should either do big damage or enable them to manufacture their ideal situation: mobility usually.

Then, they need to go back to having a Utility role with a broader design space. Think Mei, Sombra, Symmetra, etc. These people should have utility (including potentially CC again) and opportunistic Burst damage, either setting up an ambush with Symmetra or Mei that leaves someone isolated and half health, or picking off the wounded like Sombra. They’re still damage dealers more so than tanks or healers - but they’re an accompaniment to someone else pumping out red numbers.

Holy Trinity was oversimplified to begin with, and now it seems they think the solution is to strip out the utility from everyone. It’s a mistake.

Sombra should be an opportunistic kill-stealer. She should lack sustained damage, but have extra utility to help her team win, and the enemy team lose. That is a fundamentally different design philosophy than Bastion - whose philosophy should be “you can’t stand in the open for long”, or Widow’s “avoid sniper allies”, or Reapers “avoid confined spaces” threat.

1 Like

This is my feedback on your suggestion as some I agree with and some I just disagree.

Although I feel like 4m is relatively large. I do not think this is some of Sombra issues. If she is allow to hacked while in stealth then it needs to be fair in terms of having 4m as the detected radius.

They can play around with and have it Stealth Sombra (2m) and when she hacking the radius goes to (4m)

But I think 4 meter is fine.

This is what she really needs. I do not know why they changed it as 0.65s is fine. I think of it like this. You wither want her to have a long hack time but faster recovery to engage that hacked target or vice versa.

Having the meter set at 4 for the detect range means her hack should be untouched especially since her silence is only 1 second.

I always and I mean always advocated for this change. The devs need to increase her base movement speed to match Genji and Tracer. This change will fix a lot of downplay that Sombra is currently having on both OW1 and OW2.

Increase her base movement speed from 5.5 to 6.0

This change will help her out of stealth and in stealth.

I think I am more so for the fence for them to do this or bring back the 50% damage from ONLY SOMBRA when the target is hacked. They reduced her damage originally because of the damage boost 50% when the target is hacked.

The fact that they nerfed her normal damage and the buff to Sombra is quite odd.

Honestly, I am fine with her ultimate charge cost being the way it is. It is not nearly as powerful as OW1 EMP, but I typically do that to apply that debuff to help me finish low targets. Had a game that I EMP and literally a second later, Zen used trans and I was like many how the table has turned.

This is just a copy and paste what I said on another thread, but same applies here too.

1 Like

Getting real Symm vibes from this hero, never going to be allowed to be scary as a dps and the support abilities get reworked constantly by some intern. RIP

2 Likes

Blizzard made a mistake by reworking her into an Assassin rather than balancing around her being a utility focused Support/DPS. Sombra was just never designed for her current niche and thus can’t compete with heroes such as Genji or Tracer who were.

Even with hack, she lacks the raw damage and sustain to truly be a threat. Genji has his dash and deflect. Tracer has her blink and recalls. Meanwhile nearly all of her abilities can only really be used outside of combat.

Straight up, I wish they’d lower the detection radius to 2m and removed being able to hack enemies from stealth. Although, I think letting her hack healthpacks from stealth is fine

2 Likes

As she is now I don’t think it’s a good idea to give her more damage than she already has. i love playing Sombra, and she’s in my top 5 most played heroes. While she’s an opportunist, she’s thrives in environments where synergy is much more defined than a standard QP if we’re talking about consistency. Taking 1v1s is not her bread and butter if her opponent hasn’t already used certain CDs or hasn’t taken much damage initially.

I’m not sure what to do with her, but giving her more damage isn’t a good move to make. Or at the very least, lets see what the next set of Heroes released have to offer, then see if it makes sense to buff her damage.

well supports were already “good” and then they got buffed. And yet still nobody wants to play them because people don’t find them fun. It’s not an issue of supports needing buffs and yet we gave zen 225 hp and a giga kick.

2 Likes