Try role queue for one season

The point is you’re going to be QQing about role queue.

Nah, it’ll balance out. People who got to diamond playing mercy who start queueing for dps are going to fall to gold and I’ll never see them.

That’s not a dig at support players, not at all, I’d fall in rank if I learned a new category of hero’s too.

It already balances itself out. Furthermore, what do you think role queue is going to offer you that LFG doesn’t already?

2 Likes

Forced 2/2/2 would suck.

2 Likes

LFG takes forever because every group leader thinks the secret to GM is fine tooth combing whoever is in their group. It takes 5 + mins to fill a group and another 5+ mins in queue and then it just puts you against better soloQ players anyway, and other than having a sensible team comp, you have no syngery because it’s total strangers so it’s a hard game.

I just want a sensible team comp without 10+ mins between rounds.

1 Like

This is no longer the case.

There’s no way to provide this. The developers should have thought about this before they made the game archetype-based.

Tank - Support - DPS works well in [MMO]RPGs and MOBAs, as the content and design of those games are designed in such a way teamwork is forced in almost all situations. FPS games are a bit different, and allow for a lot more free styling. This design is ultimately unworkable without severe compromises in an FPS.

People generally play FPS games to frag. That’s why there is always going to be a predominance of DPS players. Complaining about “why does everyone want to play DPS” is missing the point. OW is more of an outlier than the norm. The people who play Tank and Support are… cut from a different cloth.

OW is helped by being a fairly casual game. That helped it bring in some demographics and personalities to somewhat fill out the Tank and Support Roles, to an extent (similar to a game like WoW - and Blizzard probably was aided in that they had a large fanbase to pull from), but it still suffers from the same exact issues that MMORPG games suffer from…

“LFM, ready to go! Need Tank & Healer.” - This is not a new problem.

People will fill, yes, but that usually leaves you with fairly mediocre tanks and healers simply because the fillers don’t want to wit 5-15 minutes for a match… Which leaves to awful matches, and brings us back to the complaints about solo Q.

LFG/Role Queue doesn’t work because people will do the same thing they did in Solo Q. They will often fill simply because they feel like it’s what they have to do to get into games, and they’re going to be playing roles that they aren’t comfortable with, aren’t adept at, or aren’t really that interested in improving on.

I think if competitive was “random heroes upon death” then we could blam the system if we got unlucky.

I think that depends on the assumptions that the designers made when said system was developed.

If they assumed that most players would cooperate and run a balanced comp, then they made a very fundamental mistake…

This is a problem that was observed back when MMORPGs were new.

Neither does getting in front of a camera with a meek voice, to tell people “this is what we want,” work.

Personally, I think the game was designed for eSports, and we’re just here to bankroll the fringes of that and “grow” a market for those teams (merchandise sales in and out of game, etc.).

Thats the thing tho, unless you are confident in your group you should always swap it. If you win not only you get points but your whole team and if they don’t improve fast enough for their SR you are the one getting punished.

1 Like

Just one issue I’d have with role queing. It sounds like a good idea. But how bout if a Tank or healer main decides to que as a DPS? Would be system be able to decipher that they have chosen a wrong role? If not then I don’t see a point. But It could be good regardless because LFG takes too long

Is this thread the result of the latest Your Overwatch spewing random comments and thoughts about Role Queue anecdotally?

Or just do lfg with 2 others. A 3 stack is optimal if the are all willing to flex as needed

they say ‘group size doesnt matter’. but alot of people know that once you win 1 or 2 games the enemy gets more and more stacked and your team becomes more and more bots. the other day i three stacked with guys i met in soloq we won a game then we got a deranking duo (innaproprate heros, no comms, no swtich) on our side, tried our best but was uncarrable, didnt avoid as thought there was no way we get matched again, exact next match they were on our team again! and as expected we lost it. stuff like that makes me not want to group up, maybe just duo for 1 game at a time but once you start winning disband the group because they will force you to a 50% winrate making it pointless.

“More mechanically intense role” you do realise that Lucio, Zenyatta and Ana are far more mechanically challenging than 80% of the dps heroes in the game?

I don’t believe it.

I queue with a small list of people. People I have synergy with (I’m a Genji/Tracer main so I group with main tank/main supp players) and have reached high ranks on their own. Yet our win rate when grouping is much lower than when soloQ and I stay lower SR than when I soloQ.

The only explanation is that it’s putting me against duos with MORE synergy or putting me against better players to compensate for the “advantage” of grouping. I see the same thing with LFG 6 stacking. After about 5 mins it just puts us in a game against 6 soloQ players with an average SR 100-200 higher.

Your thinking is wrong.

It isn’t the matchmaker is putting you against higher solo q people.

Grouping puts you against groups. Some groups are better then others… and they have good teamwork. The games are tougher at the same rank compared with solo q, because solo q doesn’t have the teamwork and synergy to have people grouped up that work well together.

In LFG not only are you in the same match pool as other LFG, but also friends that have played together for a long time.

This is why you can go into solo q and destroy things at the same rank but have harder games in a LFG group.

See in that post where Mercer talks about the LFG and grouping up… he fails to explain that the SR system doesn’t differentiate between group and solo q play.

A gold level player who isn’t a good lone wolf player could bring the group SR down to the point where his team just stomps… especially if they get paired up against a bunch of solo q stars trying to group up who don’t have the game sense of their rank and have bullied their way up through pbsr.

They hinted at this as the reason why the matchmaker pairs up teams based on pre-madd group size.

What they failed to do though is factor in that LFG is only marginally better then solo q in the type of players you get teamed up with if you want a quick team. You now get the same type of players that can’t work as a team, but now have an even greater chance of getting matched up against a well coordinated and synergetic enemy.

Role Queue however, is not the solution for comp. It won’t make the game any better. If anything it will make it easier to troll the game because it will increase the likelyhood that the enemy team will actually have a synergetic team that can’t be overcome when your stuck with a bad comp.

Right now, in solo q you can bully over the other team because the chance is they are just as disfunctional as you… or your troll can be overcome because then enemy has people on roles they aren’t good at.

If role queue happens, the troll will take a valuable spot and you won’t be able to overcome it.

It also limits the ability to swap roles if you lock in (see LFG its not fun). If you are playing healer, but the team needs you to swap with a dps because your dps is better then theirs, your team is stuck. Also, queing happens after map selection which determines how a lot of people like to play and what hero or role they play.

Please get off the role select in comp thing. I like it better if they expand the LFG feature or go to a more secret/hidden role selection that prevents the same mains from being paired up… which… now that I mentioned it… that seems to have disappeared as frequently as it used to be.

That’s not fun when , 70% of the time, the other 3 people all lock DPS.

At that point, are you “really” flexing?

if you win the MMR of all your teammates increases, this puts you against a higher MMR time, but your teammates didn’t actually get better, and you probably didn’t get much better in that one game either. Thus the next game is extremely unfavored.

That is why in order to climb, you need to improve your own skill, and then you need to create a new group every 3-4 games… or you need to play with a 6 stack and be teaching them to make sure they are improving as well.

anyway this is why i never stay with the same group more than 2 games. Otherwise, I will never know whether i’m actually improving.

Oftentimes, I find 1-2 of the players much better than their current SR (probably high MMR players) but the problem with staying in the same group is that the bad players that get carried may also gain some MMR, thus making future games harder if you stay as a group

No it’s a trap, what people want and what people need are two entirely different things. LFG is for losers.