Trickle down meta isn't real

This means we can now get a rough estimate of how accurate Overbuff is, using their weekly data:

Bronze = 9 right (Orisa instead of Ana), 5 in position (D.Va, Mercy, Rein, Genji and Hog right)
Silver = 9 right (Zen instead of Genji), 4 in position (D.Va, Moira, Mercy and Ana)
Gold = 9 right (Zen instead of Soldier), 3 in position (Mercy, Rein and Lucio)
Plat = 10 right, 4 in position (Moira, D.Va, McCree and Soldier)
Diamond = 10 right, 5 in position (Moira, D.Va, Mercy, Ana and Tracer)
Master = 8 right (Rein and Lucio instead of Ana and McCree), 1 in position (Zen)
GM = 8 right (Rein and Sombra instead of Mercy and McCree), 2 in position (D.Va and Tracer)

Overbuff is mostly right with it’s 10 hero compositions (63 out of 70 heroes correct is brilliant), and at 24/70 in the right position isn’t too bad for accuracy either. Notably in the 7 occasions where a pick was outside their top 10, only 3 of them were over 0.5% away from the top 10 (Ana Master = 0.55%, McCree Master = 1.18%, Ana Bronze = 0.57%).

In general it would be preferable to have the official statistics readily available, but in the absence of that Overbuff provides a good basis to work from.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve long felt exactly that. However, the prevalence of D.Va and Genji at all levels might be why ‘dive’ feels like it rings true at all levels, especially for those playing support.

2 Likes

Somehow Ana is top 10 in every tier. Don’t even know how people in bronze-gold manage that at all.

Well we’re not facing Winstons or Tracers nearly as much.

Fair point. I still choose to play Ana up in diamond/master range but I can’t seem to get away from the Tracers.

True. And it probably also explains why people think that D.Va and Genji “enable” dive. Where if that were actually true, you’d see a lot more Winston and Tracer in Gold too. I can see where the misconception comes from now.

But also, I knew D.Va was popular but exactly how popular surprised me. She’s been a top 5 pick since Season 3, but this is probably the most popular she’s ever been.

Reaper isn’t the only hero to not make a top 10 in any tier. Neither did: Doomfist, Pharah, Sombra, Bastion, Hanzo, Mei, Torbjorn, Widowmaker, Orisa, Zarya, or Symmetra.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks Jeff!

Strange how Soldier gets play less the higher up on ladder you go.

He gets replaced with McCree who’s more reliable for burst at that level.

People put together defense because they both are DPS heroes. And they take up the same two slots in the traditional 2/2/2 comp. Again you’re looking at only the top ten and not the entire hero pool. You have to compare that number to the number of possible options.

2 Likes

How does blizzard not see that stats like this will divide their community even further, and make people allround more salty about various things? At least add actual pickrate percentages or something to illustrate. Certainly glad I´m not playing anymore.

1 Like

Can’t remember if I said already, as I was out and the few posts I did make were quick and on my phone, but thanks very much for this.

It does seem to show that aside from the likes of D.Va and Moira who seem to be picked up at every level, there is a lot of movement up and down the tree as I suspected.

Lmao. Before you keep insulting me, you should really look in the mirror and learn how to do math. I’ve already explained it for you and so have others. All you have to do is read.

3 Likes

In what sense exactly are running away and just taking the damage ‘counters’?

:thinking:

Does this include console?

Actually no…

Being someone who actually lives in the mid tiers… people will one trick all the same… matter is… whether they are any good and whether they will work as a Team.

We still formulate around a ‘Meta’ but it depends on what composition we use.

Main difference is… That I’ve noticed across Silver, Gold and Platinum is positioning and mistakes being made… like yes we may use the same team build… but the skill and game sense speaks for themselves.

1 Like

Overbuff weekly and monthly data is the closest thing we have to what Blizzard uses.

In the past they posted that was similar to the monthly stats that Blizzard has shown… since the Comp has started the closest thing we have is the weekly data but Overbuff only uses 7 days… its from Tuesday last week to Tuesday this week.

What Blizzard presented is from Day 1 of Comp until today… but still this paints a pretty clear image.

Incidently since the changes… Mercy and D.Va have been top 2 in the pick rates for the last 8 months until the latest Mercy changes… Moira’s increase is likely due to players switching over to her instead of playing Moira.

1 Like

Wait so your telling me that no one plays Hanzo I don’t believe it he is my main and entered the grand Master and top 500 with him

I disagree completely with this. If you lack the ability to play the most effective heroes for whatever reason, that doesn’t change the fact that they’re meta, or that you’re playing something considered off-meta. This doesn’t mean you can’t win or can’t raise your SR, it just means you’re handicapping yourself with added challenge while doing it. There’s enough challenge to gaining SR without deliberately adding more.

Sir could you stop the event already? Thank you!