Treatment of mercy players borders on abuse

I ask Genji mains who cry about Brigitte the same thing. I get buried alive in an instant.

1 Like

I’ve been playing on Xbox for about 2 years now, and now on PC for a few weeks. I’ve mostly played supports my entire OW career because that is what I like. The “abuse” you guys are reporting is absolutely unknown to me, and I’ve put many, many hours on Mercy. Sure, you get the normal “you didn’t heal me, QQ”, but that’s about it. Anything more than that would make me think it’s very rare, or it’s usually instigated by some other comments made by yourself or the team that spiral out of control. Or, you’re spending way too much time on forums, which usually has bother parties poking at the other to instigate negative comments.

At the end of day, Blizzard makes the decisions they think are best to make EVERY character playable and balanced. The healing nerf to Mercy isn’t really “just” to nerf her; it’s too make the other supports more worth picking. Their changes are usually centered around higher levels of play as well. Balancing the high levels of competitive play. There are also, what, 28 characters or something? That’s a lot of balancing, and a lot of other characters to learn and master! Her single res makes her unique. Her ult, while not amazing, allows you to fully heal everyone in the area pretty quickly or power everyone up at one time. Doesn’t seem too bad to me. And her mobility? Excellent!

I think someone said she’s not as fun any more. How? She used to have her staff, guardian angel, and ult. That was it. Your only job was to heal, pop a good res ult whenever some people were dead and go back to healing. That was literally it. Now, she can heal, res frequently, and fly around healing her whole team with her ult. She actually has more depth and challenge to her now… Being able to res a teammate is a really, really powerful ability. But you can’t just fly to their bodies out in the open and res them or the Widow will take your head off. You have to hide behind the tank or wall, sneak the res off during the time fight, etc etc. Seems like she’d be more fun to play now than before.

Finally, Mercy is one of the easier characters in the game. There’s just no denying it. Once you master always staying mobile with her, she is quite easy to play. She has a 1 star difficulty rating for that exact reason. She’s designed to be easier and for newer players. If I had it my way (probably best I don’t), I would say the “more difficult” characters SHOULD be better. But, that wouldn’t be balanced or fun (I’m aware).

Again, not sure where all of this “abuse” is, other than maybe the forums. If that’s the case, spend more time on the game and not the forums. I personally believe Mercys are mostly still stuck on their res not being insta cast anymore. Unfortunately, it was the right way to go.

The game will never be perfectly balanced, but here’s to hoping it keeps getting better!

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten “abuse” for playing a certain hero.

The worst it got was that I’ve received a few reports for playing Ana and not Mercy in the last few months. I didn’t think anything of it other than just really dumb (yet funny) thing to be reported for.

Mercy. Loved by all but equally hated by all.
Let’s have a game of Myth vs Fact!!

Myth: Mercy is OP. Both in Valkyrie and Ress
Fact: Mercy isn’t OP as she cannot defend herself much. Even in Valkyrie, she can be sniped and gunned down as per ranks go higher. While in Ress. If a 6v6 isn’t able to win a game, what is a 2v6 or if old ress, 4v6 Gonna do? Nothing.

Myth: Second most used hero overall and most used hero in top tier games! Must be strong!
Fact: The Heck? Nah mate. Mercy is used so much cause of Stacks. Duo, Triple or More. Some people play Mercy solo but mostly higher games are the cause of stacks. Solo Mercy die out and lose rank pretty fast and taken down.

Myth: Mercy is fun to play
Fact: Worst hero in the game. Playing her is like playing basketball alone. Glide the ball. Basket or not. Don’t care. She is the most boring hero to play. She is like …there. To just keep the Team up to date. I don’t even know why people play her to be honest. Moira does more healing than her. I guess she is only alive in Stacks.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because I only play QP but I’m always happy for every healer in the team, which is rare in QP unlike I play support myself. I also thank for every great heal and especialy mercy res. I also usualy give supporters and Tanks my endcard vote because many people forget how important these classes are, even in quickmatch.
I can’t imagine hoe people complain about healers at all, except they don’t do their job maybe.
If you encounter hate for trying to support your team, you should report and maybe switch the servers? Or don’t play comp for a while, it’s not healthy imho. Other game modes are way more relaxing.

The problem with such a thing is that asking players that main certain heroes about said hero, is that such things will usually end up with bias in mind.

The fact of the matter at hand is that most of us don’t actually know how it feels to be on the other side of the fence and on the receiving end of our hero’s actions and as a result, we are very ignorant on how our peers feel about said actions.

Allowing the mains of certain heroes to dictate the balance and power-scaling will invariably result in undesired aspects of certain heroes to be left in.

At the end of the day, almost every hero has been changed without the consent of the heroes’ mains. To be honest, it never was our right to even make these decisions because we don’t code the game or actually understand everything that goes with game design.

I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, but Mercy’s treatment hasn’t actually been any worse or even nearly as bad as some of the other heroes.

When D.Va got her armor, health and Defense Matrix changed, the D.Va-Mains had an uproar and made a stink, but the rest of the community told them to stop whining and adapt.

When Genji had his Deflect hitbox nerfed and his Wall Jump glitch removed, Genji-Mains were furious but the rest of the community more or less told them to adapt.

When Roadhog got his damage gutted and all of his different Hook iterations, Roadhog-Mains were absolutely livid…but once again the community didn’t want to hear it and told them to adapt.

I just don’t see why when it happens to Mercy it becomes a gigantic issue when people weren’t lobbying for it beforehand.

Let’s be consistent with things here.

This is probably something that almost everyone on the forums doesn’t realize and more or less completely ignores when it comes to balancing of Overwatch.

2 Likes

Yeah as someone who has played more Mercy than any other character, I get Mercy mains telling me I’m wrong for liking Valk every time I talk about it. It’s like, they don’t care about the fun of anyone that isn’t them.

Screw me for liking Valk, it’s objectively bad and unfun and they should change it.

4 Likes

Delet mercy and the game will be better

I don’t see the problem; you’re asking the hero’s mains how to get to where you want to take the hero. That means that you get what you, as a developer want, and at the same time, the people who play the hero retain the things they like.

This isn’t really an issue, if you go by what I said in my earlier post; the developer want to change the hero, because a group (the people on the other side of the fence) have complaints and/or because they feel something else is not quite right.

So with those complaints, you get to work. You build a list of changes that you think could alleviate the issues, and then present said list to the other party (the hero’s mains) and work with them to get to a point that you, as developer, feel both sides can agree with.

I don’t see how you can get here while taking input from both sides.

Yes, and I dislike all of those situations nearly equally.

Balance, just like politics, is all about compromise. Talking with both sides of the fence to find a common ground. The problem is, I don’t really see any of that in Blizzard’s balance decisions. They just do whatever they think will get the job done and then throw a half-eaten bone the other way and expect things to be fine afterwards.

I think I already addressed this.

She really was, Blizzard has a habit of not nerfing the actual problem with a particular meta. Case in point Grav Dragons got Zarya nerfed although her Ult was fine for 2 years. And then D.va’s 400 Armor got Ana Nerfed instead of dealing with just the armor first.

2 Likes

Ah, the good old Ana days. Back when I actually looked at pro plays to find a counter comp…
Ana-powered triple-tank vs. Mercy-powered multi-DPS on Dorado and somehow managing to drag out a victory in overtime. Those were the days.

mute block move on pls

Sooo, like how “he who should not be named” and greedy DPS mains told us we were wrong for enjoying mass rez and changed it regardless? Hmm… interesting…

No you can’t pull that on me, my point is that Rez fans act like it’s okay to complain all over Valk fans, but Valk fans doing the same is OBJECTIVELY INCORRECT. And also claiming that nobody likes Valk when plenty of people do.

It’s the same thing.

1 Like

I actually took the time to read the whole post, Titanium though, much worse case, big OOF. But Badwidow did take it too far , and the dogpiling did occur, so I guess you are right. But the big question is, why do you bother though? you COULD ignore it completely. It will never swing around in their favor for what they want… an ultimate equal to others ontop of an overloaded kit that would end up making her the be all end all support that would become once again if you don’t have a mercy, you lose. Whichever mercy has ultimate, wins the fight.
Reading all of that actually hurt my brain deeply. And all of the inaccuracies on their part to push a point of their own agenda, the lack of care for how hated the old version of mercy was showing a lack of what is healthy for the game and just what they want selfishly.
I should take my own advice and not bother. That actually hurt to read, and you were SO CORRECT and collected the whole time. Borderline psychotic level of perfection, like a mercy thread hitman who will win a 10 on 1 argument.

Dogpiling is not OK. Mercy players on the forums seem to spend more time in the forum than on the game due to lack of them not having to perfect the craft in an FPS game of all games it seems with the amount of sticking together I see here, there are simply TOO MANY OF YOU. STOP.

There are some legitimate concerns mercy mains have, but I have seen maybe 2 ideas TOTAL that even warrant consideration. Most of their wants are just things that should NEVER happen in the game ever again. I’m just done if the mercy players are so selfish to be as they are and disregard the rest of the populations dislikes. It’s actually just painfully bad how they act here on the forums, it’s no wonder mercy threads get cut down like grass because YEAH, YOU MERCY MAIN FORUM USERS ARE ACTUALLY TOXIC AS ALL HELL CATALYSTS that honestly the forums moderators should never have to deal with so much in so high a volume.

-1 Respect, on a pile of many others who WON’T take you seriously, and that is your own fault for being bullies on the forums, and straight out not caring about the other parts of the overwatch population when pushing your agenda.

Edit: Oh an uh, I’m not trashing you Kazper, not in the slightest. Most of that was just a puffball of me bloating on the absolute madness I read while reading the forum post you linked there. I died inside, and then died some more, and then my spirit died too, and then the spirit of my spirit died some more. I can’t even.

4 Likes

The simple answer is it can’t be helped, every thread in this forums devolves into the same thing. The vocal minority is disgruntled Mercy Mains. Until just recently anything mentioning mercy had to be thrown into a mega thread because it was taking up the entire forum. Now the mega threads been locked and well, it’s still the case.

And don’t worry, you’re not alone. I know that feel.

My favorite part btw, I genuinely lold

1 Like

You guys are relentlessly spamming the forums

When you’re spamming the forums for months on end people are going to get tired of it

its because we are tired of hero we once loved being treated like that. and we are frustrated bc theres no answer in regards to our problems. so we keep asking.

The problem is it has gone far beyond the realm of asking at this point and into demands, slander, and just overall toxicity. Not to mention that while these forums are active and I’m sure Blizzard reads posts they find have enough merit the fact still remains that it is such a small percentage of people continually complaining about the same thing.

Even if there issues have been addressed publicly that doesn’t stop the demands and downright harassment from the community.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think I’ve seen more than a handfull of insults towards a Mercy during my two years of playing. And they were basically all from genji mains who didn’t get healed from across the map.

Why would anyone want to insult a main healer? Is this in quick play?