[Top500 got suspended] The problem with Reporting system, and how people abuse it

I feel for you.

I would like to ask the following question,
How is it that B can not afford/does not want to invest in some dedicated people that will review footage captured once the report was sent?

I know what you are thinking that would take too much work, all that footage.

When in reality it is quite possible.
Considering the stupendous amounts of money B has made from this IP alone the costs for such an endeavour should be WELL within reason.

B would not need to review every single piece of footage that is sent, rather if reports for some category stack up for a player that players reported footage gets reviewed.

And please, before you tell me storing the recorded footage would be impossible, read the privacy policy they made you sign.
They store a metric ton of data already, some of which they keep for up to 9 years.

B could still automate certain reporting categories, such as abusive chat.

AI is a thing, training it to find abusive chat, even when it is not clear without context seems like a great investment.

Speech to text has also been a thing for ages now, so it should be perfectly possible to just save a transcript of what was said in voice chat during a match where someone reported someone.

And finally,
Have you ever wondered why you see people complaining about being banned for… Insert “crime” here

But NEVER have I seen anyone complain about getting banned for falsely reporting someone, barring public figures such as streamers.

My guess would be that even though B says false reporting is wrong & banable they rarely if ever do so unless it is a public figure they can make an easy example of.

In conclusion:
B, you and only you have the ability to do right by this massive, conflicted community.

What way of ruling do the things ISinner mentioned in his checklist make you think of?
I’d like to think you’re better than that!

Show respect, action and faith in the community.
Show those who would falsely report that it will NOT be tolerated.

If you do, the amount of reports you receive should decrease dramatically, and you will more easily be able to find & punish people who deserve it, instead of blindly trusting the masses.

From a fan with high hopes for this game.

2 Likes

They have so much money… they can literally hire more people for the customer support.

1 Like

Welp thats why metas should be removed…

I got the same thing going on. Im currently maining moira. When people ask me to switch to mercy, im happy to oblige. I always tell them that i dont know how to play mercy at all since the works, and that im only playing at half capacity. Then i get blamed that i dont heal enough, die too easily and forget to revive. Which is all true. And then i see them asking the enemy team to report me for throwing. Luckily i havnt been banned as of yet, but im always fearful that day might come.

I have to add, its mostly a hanzo main boasting about his skills and medals that tells me im doing a bad job. At such times, i tell them to heal instead, mute chat, get off voice and switch to mei.

They really should, or maybe fix the report system. Cause Since s7, so many off meta players are getting bullied.

you better play for the team, and be a meta slave. Because if you don’t, one day you will get ban from the game.

If we had a bit more control over our matchmaking (e.g. more avoid slots) this might not happen so much, falsely reporting players that is. Sorry to hear of this experience, but I doubt CS will do anything to help. I haven’t read the entire post but if you try to appeal then you’ll most likely find you’ll get an unsatisfactory response no matter the circumstances. The reporting system, in their eyes, is apparently perfectly fine and working as intended, much like Mercy and her megathread (megavoid) is.

If you do go down that route, I wish you the best of luck :slight_smile:.

I will try my best. Thank you!

well … i mean at least you know what you got banned for …

I got the message that i got reported and that i should change my behavior or something like that … played like 1-2 games after that - didnt throw didnt say anything just did my best to win … the day after that i logged in and i saw … 10 days ban - but no reason as to why i was banned or what i was banned for …

i mean i can guess it was for toxicity (yes i flame ppl if they flame me … i know its kinda bad but i still dont think that should be bannable) but even then that doesent make sense … since i played maybe 2 games after the warning in which i didnt say a word but still got banned regardless …

soo they warn you that the next day you get banned no matter what … dont see the point in the warning if thats the case but hey here i am

1 Like

Yeah, well, it happened to me for maining Torb, and I had a big thread about it, but since I’m not top 500 and I’m not a streamer, no one cared and I just decided to never buy any more Overwatch merch or loot box stuff.

Do what I did: Vote with your feet and leave.

i’ve even seen people get suspended for playing symmetra in deathmatch because some dont want to play against her
nothing surprises me anymore.

Except if you’re in that high of a rank you should be able to play more than those 3 characters at the same if not higher level than the other 3

Believe it or not, with consideration to all these conditions, the most logical action one can take is to mute everyone and to never engage socially with anyone. Any engagement just increases your chances of getting reported. Even then, you still could be reported because of misinterpretations or explicit false reports in response to you actions.

It doesn’t seem like the reports reset either, so even though you are presently a model player (turned over a new leaf), one more false or true report could get you banned. The community isn’t responsible enough to have a report system and the system itself is too inept to lawfully silence or banned those that “deserve” it.

“Never let the inmates run the asylum”

Side Note: Handing in a ticket to “TRY” to resolve the issue is much too late. At this point you are running the gambit and might as well flip a coin.

Once you enter the court, it’s luck of the draw to whether you’re justly judged.

They may not believe it is worse to falsely banned a player then to banned someone that broke the rules too many times.

I did that and got banned anyway.

So essentially, players have a “hidden clock” on their account that may or may not expire which determines how long they can compete in Competitive. They have no control over whether someone reports them and it seems there is not a behavior they can reliably employ that guarantees no report comes their way.

I got unbanned from the game like a month ago, and played 80 hours on my main account. This is a plenty of time for them to refresh my ban status, but it seems like that’s not the case.

If that’s true, Blizzard have to improve their report system for sure.

1 Like