[Top500 got suspended] The problem with Reporting system, and how people abuse it

Blizzard customer support recommended me to create a post to give some feedback about the reporting system. Therefore, here I am trying to explain what happened.

I main Reaper, Torb, and Sym and like many of the off meta players, I used to be stubborn about my hero choice, but recently I am (somewhat) flexing for the team. I tell my team that I will play Moria on attack, and Symmetra on Defense. However, people report me for playing symmetra on defense, which is a bit odd if you think symmetra is a defense hero. My last game (before I got banned from the game) I played Symmetra on defense and Zarya on the attack. obviously, I am not good zarya, and I made a lot of mistakes. Guess what? Hanzo in our team asked others to report me for being bad at zarya. Funny that he was the one who asked me to play Zarya.

h ttps://www.twitch.tv/videos/265040415 <-- me playing Sym on Def, Zarya on Offense

I was actually with Kephrii and if you watch from 1:55 ~ 2:28.

h ttps://www.twitch.tv/videos/264905215 <-- Me playing Sym on Def, Reaper on Attack.

I was also with mendokusaii’s stream as well. Watch 5:45:15.

There’s a space between H and T so if you want to check the link backspace the link.

Also, there are other reports that I throw games by staying in spawn being afk, and I can say that this is 100% false report. When I am staying in spawn, that means I am trying to switch my hero to something more viable. (Mostly On defense, Sym to Reaper or Junkrat). Sorry that I am only able to switch my hero in spawn.

The first problem that I have with current report system is that it is going with “Majority wins”, and ignore minority. Overwatch is all about PC and minority (in fact, Tracer is lesbian), but oddly enough when I try to appeal my current situation, all I hear from Blizzard Customer support is “Well from what we see, we can’t really tell if you are telling the truth or not, therefore, we can’t unban you”. I even suggest them to check the streams to see if I am throwing or not, but they refused to do that. In this case, I don’t understand why they even have the support system to appeal for ban.

The second problem that I have with the current system is how it’s inconsistent, and bias depends on the user. Very well known 1 trick player fuey500 doesn’t get ban from the game anymore because 1st, the streams, 2nd he was the first one trick who got famous for getting banned from the game. Therefore, Blizzard is now looking closely and be very cautious about fuey’s account. However, for people like me, they still use an automatic system, therefore, if the report stacks up, I will get ban. Moreover, the ban kinda stack up. I have another account that mains Reaper, Torb, and Sym - which is also in top500. Funny thing is, that account never got banned from the game, while My main account got banned even if I flexed for the team.

Last but not least, it’s about my reputation. Whenever I join the game, all I hear from my team is “Ha it’s him again. Typical East cost”. And when I make a simple mistake, they just immediately think that I am throwing and just report me. which is simply unfair.

In conclusion, I suggest Blizzard to FIX their report system a bit. If someone gets reported multiple times, maybe check their most played hero and winrate. Also, if they stream or was on stream, maybe check that as well to see if someone was really throwing. That’s all I have to say, and thank you for reading this long topic.

87 Likes

this is the community in a nutshell, too many people want to ban others for being “bad at the game” they just hide it behind other reasons.

45 Likes

yeah if he asked me - reaper, torb, and sym main" to play Zarya, he should gave expected me to be bad at that character.

4 Likes

queue’d against you many times, you always did try your best and you even destroyed me in some games.
i will back you up in saying that you never threw games intentionally.
gl my dude

39 Likes

One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing… typical customer service in general. It’s always some one else s problem or fault. That said yeah it’s not just Blizzard but a lot of video games in general.

If your popular and a big streamer they will bend over backwards to accommodate you. If your a nobody though you just get the automated treatment. Even if it’s in error, they won’t admit it. Though I will say some of the worst treatment I’ve ever seen was PUBG in where people got banned on nothing more than the angry fans of a streamer reporting them for stream sniping just because they killed him.

5 Likes

well ive heard from a streamer who got banned… he got even lootboxes as a compensation for the ban.

1 Like

thanks man. I just hope People in blizzard sees this thread.

3 Likes

yeah … Streamer… I guess I should start my stream.

Yeah the Report-Sytem is very trash and alot mad players abuse it

Today i got reported by a Hanzo Main for losing and because im a Brigitte One-Trick
It was on Dorado My Team was very good at attack but very bad at defense ( like most of the randoms team i got )

So my Team got instant destroyed because the enemy was using the Orisa + Bastion comp. No one wanted to change to a Bastion or Orisa counter and on the last point our Moira was switch to a Winston ( Winston vs Bastion ? wtf ) so i was a solo healer as Brigitte. And the Hanzo who reported me was very bad too he didnt got his Ultimate 1 time on defense

1 Like

Yes, they’re very helpful sometimes.

• :white_check_mark: Burden of proof shifted from the accuser to the accusee, check
  • :white_check_mark: Guilty until proven innocent, check
  • :white_check_mark: Suspending on the basis of claims, check
  • :white_check_mark: Admitting to not use any evidence to confirm the wrong doing, check
  • :white_check_mark: Even after shifting the burden of proof, Ignoring the provided evidence of being falsely reported, check
  • :white_check_mark: Deception, i.e. favoritism applied to a certain group to keep a good standing in public eyes, check

Verdict: Disgusting & Despicable, Anti-Consumer

All conclusions drawn assuming the opening post portraits everything as is
35 Likes

That’s not even the main problem. The main problem is game masters just shrugging off the appeals and tell users to deal with their penalty even if they’re innocent. That’s what killing the problem. I wish Jeff can just step into the matter and tell them off.

If I can get banned for calling someone a cry baby then you know this system is toxic itself. WoW wouldn’t even bother with type of banter.

8 Likes

Well if I get banned on the forum, so be it.

1 Like

I was talking about blizzard. If they ban you on forums after telling you to leave feedback there, you can throw hypocrisy into that vile pile that they already created.

6 Likes

Oh sorry. English isn’t my 1st language, so I sometime have a hard time :frowning:

I’ve seen you in games while watching Emongg and Kephrii. I thought you were a pretty good Reaper. It’s not right that you’re getting reported for being a bad Zarya or playing off meta heroes.
I think it’s been long overdue for Overwatch to fix their ban system. Seeing as players like Stevo was getting banned for playing Symmetra 6+ months ago. They keep saying you can’t report for picking one character over the meta, but time and time again we see non meta players getting banned. It’s not right.

4 Likes

Yeah, I honestly trusted them too much. Blizzard and Jeff claim that people can not get banned from the game for playing the hero that exists in the game, however, it turns out people still report 1 tricks, and I do still get ban from the game - even if I flex.

3 Likes

Welcome to the club. I’ve been posting threads and comments like this for a long time.

Being Top500 is irrelevant though. No need to boast while making a point.

It kinda is. Because I got suspended by “Trolling and Throwing”, but if I am top 500, and have positive win rate for my main heroes, that just mean that I am not throwing.

3 Likes

I feel top500 is kinda harsh. If you don’t play the meta people lash out and get extremely toxic. I don’t think he was boasting because you can one trick in bronze silver gold etc and below and nobody will have a problem.

1 Like