Time to make comp solo queue only

This change fixes:

Boosting (booster must play on that account, and it’s far easier to detect a booster when the hardware and IP changes along with a sudden surge in SR).

Smurfing is eliminated in the case where a higher rank “just wants to play with friends.”

Uneven teams, no need to try to find a “fair match” (there isn’t one…) for that bronze-gold duo.

I want to live the dream!

23 Likes

How does making your teammates random in every game of comp help people learn how to play the game properly, which is as a team.

How does increasing the probability of a leaver or a thrower on your team make the game better?

If you don’t allow people to play with friends, which is already hard enough on Overwatch, then they’ll play something else with their friends during that time.

7 Likes

It’s called competitive, though. The game is designed to be played in teams, and works best when it is.

3 Likes

Organized team play is what scrims, tournaments, and leagues are for. Solo queue would certainly make for truer skill ratings on the ladder.

13 Likes

I have to agree.

But this won’t happen Blizzard won’t allow it.

Oh, and it also fixes slow queue times. But you’re right, they aren’t going to change anything this time around. Here’s hoping there are substantial changes to the ladder philosophy for whenever their next iteration of competitive happens.

1 Like

Why is that? You still need to play as a team with 5 others, yes? Go back to the comment of organized vs unorganized team play.

Organized teams = Scrims, tourneys, and leagues.
Unorganized teams = Ladder.

There are a TON of problems a solo queue ladder would fix immediately.

3 Likes

So an OWL team drops into the ladder as a 6 stack and goes up against a random LFG group (same SR so it’s FAIR!.. right? right?). Is this going to be a good match for everyone?

Or would the competitive integrity of the match be improved by those 6 OWLs being spread randomly across the two teams?

3 Likes

You dodged the question. Will it be a fair match or an unfair one? Sure they earned it as a team. Let them earn it based on individual ability on the ladder as well. The shot caller endorsement would actually mean something in a solo queue ladder.

1 Like

That’s exactly right, I’m glad you said that. Ranked is about who’s best, not about who can get carried the furthest up the ladder because they queue with better friends. As it stands, there are loads of people that do not belong in the tier they’re in, and all of us have been on the team with that one person who is clearly not where they belong. Solo queue doesn’t allow people to be carried into ranks they shouldn’t be in.

I’d wager that more matches would feel FAR fairer if the ladder had been solo queue from the start.

You also still have not stated your opinion; if a OWL team vs a LFG random team would be a fair, fun match for both sides. Or if a random distribution of those 12 players on the two teams would create a better environment?

1 Like

Solo queue only would be a dream. No sweaty disgusting trio stacks at 4am exploiting the system in gm either.

2 Likes

After the utter crapshow solo q has been for me and how much sr I’ve gained thanks to LFG helping me find proper team players: keep your stupid short sighted ideas to yourself thanks.

2 Likes

My stupid, short-sighted idea would have prevented this (masters and high diamond profiles this season, now somehow in silver/low gold, all with the Shanghai Dragons icon equipped) throw stack from completely wrecking my actual low gold group tonight. This game had one of their players disconnect for a large portion of the game, so it was their 5 vs our 6 and they were still absolutely wrecking us.

http://bitjumble.com/files/games/Overwatch/Overwatch%202018-10-14%2001-05-29-73.png

But yea, I totally didn’t think this one through…

1 Like

This is extremely unnecessary.

Competitive overwatch will always be soloq, the second blizz instates a mandatory 6stack queue requirement player numbers fall off.

Nobody wants to deal with that crap, and to instate something so rigid this far into the games lifetime would be a dealbreaker for most people. Face it, comp will never change, we will never get what we want or how we want it.

want 6 stacks? make a 6 stack, and it will match you against other 6 stacks (most of the time). thats as close as you will ever get to the “actual” overwatch that everyone preaches from atop there mountain. Yet two years playing this game i have played “actual” overwatch three maybe four games period. The rest is just chaos.

I think that’s the whole argument for a solo queue, so that there aren’t people like you who get boosted. There is a difference between solo and team play, it’s unfair and unbalanced to mix the two. Low skill players like yourself can just focus on playing healer, so LFG is propelling lower skilled players up.

Understand there difference is basically individual skill. It’s a team game and I agree that it should be played that way, but there is a fundamental problem with having both in 1 system. The system with group queueing has been exploited from the start, people have found multiple ways to use it for an advantage. Especially at higher SR where you have unbalanced teams, and it’s easier to rank up grouped than it is solo.

1 Like

Excuse me? Boosted? I pull my weight just like everyone else. LFG has helped me limit the “4 DPS instalockers” and “I’m gonna rage and switch off Main Tank to go DPS screw you guys” issues of solo queue.

I find people who are sick of the selfishness of other players tanking our sr and we work together as a team to get those wins.

Nice try at being a troll though.

2 Likes

LFG could still be used, you just wouldn’t be able to select SPECIFIC teammates. It’d be a random pull from the available SR pool.

But then there will be 5 dps mains in one match leading everyone to be toxic

Sincerely, The Brigitte Spaghetti Movement

There are people in GM though. How do you think they do it?