This Valk would be a lot more Fun

Boost the healing rate for Valk (a lot), on the single target that’s focused (Not the chains), and only during the Guardian Angel flight time.

That way it encourages Mercy to swoop in, and zip around. And use target prioritization with a resource (distance from teammates and a 1.5sec cooldown).

Instead of imitating a kite for 15 seconds.

It would just be a numbers tweak, but it would be enough of an incentive to encourage a fun playstyle, while also having higher skill tier impacts for clutch heals.

3 Likes

Not sure about the “only during the Guardian Angel flight time” part as it would discourage team members grouping up and if they do they would completely ruin Mercy’s ult since she wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the improved heal. It also discourages playing safe, and while that in itself may make for a more engaging playstyle I’m not sure it should be a requirement for being able to use the ult.

4 Likes

Aka, tradeoffs, positioning, timing, resource management and risk vs reward :slight_smile:

The types of things that keep things interesting (and balanced).

Also it would be making Mercy better at her niche, not making her better at the Moira niche. Would keep things unique, instead of homogenized.

It’s not that simple…

Imagine that you have a Mercy and Moira healer combo, or Mercy and Lucio combo… then the team are requested to stay grouped up for Lucio or Moira to heal effectively. And in such situations the entire team would have to play poorly and uncoordinated in order for Mercy to have value from her ult. That’s just poor game design.

Edit: I guess the same goes for Mercy and Baguette combo…

4 Likes

Mercy doesn’t need to be the best healer for all compositions.

Making choices that are unique and worthwhile, but not always the best choice, is what makes for good game design.

But you are basically limiting the compositions for Mercy to fit in to Mercy and Zen, or Mercy and Ana. And you should never have an ult that require the entire team to play poorly for you to be efficient. Imagine the toxicity that will come from Mercy crying out “Please, spread out” on voice chat…

Yes. Because if you never have a reason to switch off of a hero, then the devs have made a design mistake.

But you are talking about an extreme limitation in team-comp. If Mercy is supposed to be a main-healer she should be able to pair up with any of the off-healers, no? It can’t just be Mercy plus Zen… That’s not options, that’s a forced extreme limitation…

Yes. It’s called a gameplay niche.

Giving a hero a niche that’s too wide is bad design, because it gives you zero reason to switch between other similar options.

Aka, Hanzo from 2 months ago.

… Whatever. No point in discussing this it seems. If you want Mercy to only be viable when someone wishes to pick Zen, then feel free to push your agenda. It’s not like this is ever going to happen anyways since Blizzard doesn’t listen to change suggestions anyways.

The OP for the thread has come up with over 20 Mercy threads in the last two months.

They barely play the hero and are just deliberately spamming the forums in attempt to mess up the hero.

They’ve played a grand total of two matches on the last patch and a total of eleven in all of 2018.

As for this specific idea, it’d be rather tedious as you’d be doing the same thing over and over potentially and balance would be iffy.

If Overwatch was moddable it might be amusing to queue it in just to see how it interacted with the various jump bugs/features.

7 Likes

I think the solution is simpler.

• Primary target during Valk 80hp/s or 50% damage boost. Chain remains the same.
  • Valk duration down to 10 seconds.

This brings back target prioritization, especially regarding who to boost for 50% damage, and it doesn’t last as long which urges the Mercy player to zip around, toggle beams/targets and get the most out of Valk while they can.

Why would you zip around if all you have to do is fly straight up and switch heal targets?

I would actually happily get rid of free flying during Valkyrie though. Free flying just encourages the spacebar spectator view and doesn’t really add anything beneficial to Mercy’s kit in my opinion. If I could replace Free flying with a shortened timer for guardian angel then that is what I think I’d prefer. That said, I don’t think the increased healing should only work while using guardian angel… it should work for the entire duration of Valkyrie regardless of what you choose to do with your movement.

1 Like

Say your Genji ults and you want to pocket him like you would nano, because now you have 50% damage too. You’re going to follow him, then break away back to your team. Just one example. Running Mercy with dive comps is another example, since the comp doesn’t deathball as well and requires Mercy to GA to keep up with them. I imagine Mercy would zip around between targets specifically to 50% damage amp the Winston, then back to the sniper or the Pharah or w/e. The 50% amp is key.

People with no idea what they are talking about never seem to be silent. No idea why he wants to ruin a hero he doesnt play but a lot of haters dont want Mercy to have anything so nothing new there.

On topic: Valk is a terrible ultimate and a dead end we had that discussion enough.

3 Likes

I don’t really see how that would be much different from how things are right now.

And also a straight buff like that would significantly alter Mercy’s balance.

Where as her balance is mostly fine, but her gameplay style is kinda bland.

I would prefer if they just significantly boosted healing beam, period, and scrapped multi beam idea completely. Skill element in this comes from picking which targets to heal and switching beams/moving around.

Or if she had different ult altogether.

Sounds like a lack of creativity to me.

Spamming the devs with excuses to buff Rez isn’t going to get you guys anywhere.

Nor is shutting your brain off to any other ideas that aren’t buffing Rez.

1 Like

I mean it’s not going to make Valk anymore fun then it already is… but it’s a start???

Personally deleting Valk is the way to go to make Valk better.

3 Likes