This OW2 delay is unacceptable. Here's why

Maybe they should just do a closed beta next year but my guess is that what they need to do to make 5v5 work is going to take a considerable amount of time and Activision was just trying to push them for release date early next year.

Realistically I don’t think they can just make a few balance tweaks to tanks and slap some ez scripts on them and make them work in 5v5 like we were shown. Some of them will need to get major overhauls, hog needs to be reworked to a dps, doom and Mei to tanks.

I personally don’t mind the delay too much as long as they start updating OW1. No heroes for another year will actually kill the game. Every other hero shooter is still popping out content and halo infinite is just around the corner. If they want to keep people interested in overwatch they absolutely need to drop more heroes and maps stat.

Vote with your dollars and your time, or this post is meaningless?

I firmly believe the pvp changes must come sometime next year, it already makes no sense to hold it hostage for the pve release. Please wake up, blizz. I’m actually on my knees begging this is so absurd at this point.

Well, that’s not really true. The playerbase was promised content as this was supposed to be a live service. You’re actually the wrong one for saying people aren’t entitled to anything.

Could you imagine if I sold you a product, said I’d continue to give you new products for free, and then later said “Actually, I’m not doing that right now; I’m delaying the other products indefinitely. Stop being so entitled.”? I feel like that wouldn’t go over so well.

1 Like

Most likely by the time they finally finish the game, you already forget they were making game.

It would be like that meme, where guy finally finished doing stuff and there are only skeletons of people, that were waiting for him to finish.

If they keep delaying like that, Overwatch will lose all popularity it had, and once it finally released, people will be “What is Overwatch, I never heard of it before.” and Blizzard will have to make it popular from scratch.

They could at least try to update some really basic stuff on the normal OW to keep the game fresh and more cool in the meantime.
I even made a huge QOL updates megathread but it seems it will never reach to the devs.

This is the biggest amount of entitlement i have ever seen

2 Likes

I don’t believe anyone hinted that they were deserving or entitled to new content. Rather, it’s important for OW to keep a good relationship with their consumers. OW has irresponsibly over-stated and over-promised numerous times and, as a consumer, this causes disappointment and distrust. It’s just simply not beneficial for OW. The player base is already “small” (in comparison to other play bases) and OW’s reckless statements are continuing to shred away at their current player base.

Player’s didn’t flatly expect new content, they were told there would be new content and it’s been years with no new content. Blame OW for that - not the consumers expressing their disappointment and frustration.

1 Like

not… really. They said that’s what they were doing and gave absolutely no timeline. While that wasn’t great it wasn’t implied it was even coming “soon™”

We aren’t paying subscriptions. We’re just playing the game. The problem here is how you seem to consider playing the game “not meaningful content”.

They’re selling a multiplayer only FPS game. It’s pretty fun if you play it. I play it pretty often with the expectation of having fun, not waiting for more stuff.

Yes it sucks that what the community expected to happen didn’t happen, but to be clear they never really said it was happening and were pretty obviously hemming and hawing their way to telling us “no… not this year either”. As far as I can tell all the “content creators” did was create hype for a release date nobody was claiming.

To be absolutely clear I personally expected OW2 to be out in 2022… but that was entirely my problem and not a reflection on developer set expectations.

You can stop supporting blizzards games or even boycott their services entirely if you like…

But I’m reasonably sure most of us got our moneys worth out of the game we bought, I know I got 70 bucks worth of entertainment out of 5 years.

I know someone’s going to take this in the “whiteknight” “apologist” “fanboy” direction but as unlikely as it seems I have my own problems with other things the company does. I don’t like what they’re doing internally, I don’t like many of the things the developers of THIS game have done to it, and I have complaints about far more aspects of their media and messages.

I just disagree that the video game we all bought hasn’t been worth what we payed for it and that the entry fee promised constant injections of “meaningful content”.

I would say at least 70% of your QOL suggestions would require OW2 to change as well and add extra development time/work.

We were told this when the game released, but they did say this was going to dry up while OW2 was in development. This isn’t GOOD and you can disagree with their decision but we cannot pretend this wasn’t actually stated.

Interested in what you consider examples of this (barring claims of “breaking the internet”).

This perspective is less valid than previously was the case. The game industry has moved to a “games as a service” model. This model requires regular content updates to generate continued interest to keep the monetization system to remain profitable. Blizz uses this model with many of their games now, including OW. It is not unreasonable for players to now expect to see regular content updates. That is the model the game is designed upon. If Blizz had released OW as a more or less complete game with only minor cosmetics and balance patches, then a sense of entitlement to content would be unfounded. However, the games as service model validates the expectations of the player base.

One of the side benefits of this model is that continuous player engagement creates a built-in player base for sequels. I suspect that this is the reason why D3 is still getting content patches even without a monetization system in place. It is pretty sad that D3 is getting vastly more content releases than OW at this point. By not properly supporting OW with continued content releases, Blizz is diminishing the magnitude of the bump OW2 would give to its player base.

1 Like

Aren’t they actually hoping for that?
To me it seems, like OW2 is just a thing to get a bunch of new players for this totally new game they made.

Bliz activision is a 60 billion dollar company. They don’t need money or micro transactions. They have a $70 cod game every year they sell many copies of and is loaded with purchasable bundles and battle passes. They need an overwatch game that people will play and want to buy loot boxes for again. Throw a battle pass on ow2 and charge $5-10 for it and its fine.

The only time you can claim it is unacceptable is if you are sitting on the C-Level row - otherwise too bad

I disagree, just look at other games who took ages to be released and they were still bought by the millions of fans of the franchises. Whether they liked them or not is a different matter, but all it takes is for them to release something and suddenly everyone is on board. This applies to other things like for example the new album by tool, it took a hundred years yet people still bought it, same with the last metallica album, took ages as usual, still sold like crazy, etc.

I don’t pay for OW. I paid for it once nearly 5 years ago. So what are you telling me here?

Let me repeat myself. I paid for Overwatch FIVE YEARS AGO and I still play it weekly and have fun. So what is this hidden fee again?

This is a matter of opinion, it depends on who you ask. They never set a release date, and considering everything that has happened in the past two years people should be more understanding, and some are but other arent sadly.

The player base is not small lol, not in the slightest.

No they werent. Kaplan said there would be no content after echo, yet they have released some stuff, minor granted, but something nevertheless. I will say it again, they didnt promise anything and have never set a date for anything other than the owl playing on a version of the new pvp, thats it. Anything else is a false construct from misinformed or even malicious people.

I dare you to find where they promised content. Also, Kaplan informed the community very clearly that echo would be the last content until OW2, so you are the one mistaken here. We all knew, they told us, if some people didnt listen or didnt liked it, thats their problem.

This is a mistaken representation of the actual situation.

Owl skins tell a diff story…bringing back old owl skins, bringing out new ones., yeah totally not asking people for money.

False. Some games/developers do this, not all of them.

They informed us that echo would be the last hero added so they could concentrate on OW2.

This is not entirely true, it depends on what you call content, D3 is in maintenance mode, they just tweak stuff here and there, nothing substantial.

Don’t foget lack of workshop features, many features that can be implemented to workshop, and they just decide to won’t add and don’t say reason. Like PVE Bots in workshop, dummy bot pathfinding, at least bring more pve content to workshop developers work on.

So in next two years overwatch will survive but with 90% less players than now. And they don’t have any transparency about how development is progressing on OW2, just said “oh its delayed, and is this”, bro wtf?