This OW2 delay is unacceptable. Here's why

Its still them asking for money doesnt matter if you can earn tokens or not. At the end of they day its them selling skins and wanting people to spend money and buy em

When did “appears to have big plans” started to mean they PROMISED something. Plus this is talking about OW2, we were talking about OW1.

Yes you are.

This sentence makes no logical sense. They said OW would get regular content WHICH would get held off until OW2? How can something get regular content updates and have it held off at the same time??

Also, no you are again mistaken. Kaplan said Echo was the last thing before OW2 period.

It isn’t.

C Y B E R P U N K

:slight_smile:

OW has never been a game as a service. We paid for the game and they said any content they released afterwards would be free. The criticism would only be valid if it was free to play.

And no one so far has contradicted this. Not even the new director.

Not really, unless someone else says something different, that is their stance. That hasn’t happened yet.

I also play D3 brother. D3 is in maintenance mode, everything that you mention is superficial changes nothing more, it’s still the exact same game, they just upped the numbers to give players a new goalpost to reach.

My guess is that they are afraid to repeat Dota situation, so no better tools for players to create their own stuff.

2 Likes

You must not understand what game as a service means. It simply means that there is an ongoing monetization system in play. This can come in the form of loot boxes, battle passes, monthly subscription, DLC, etc. OW uses purchasable loot boxes. The fact that next to no one buys them in OW is irrelevant. OW uses a games as a service model.

You are correct that it hasn’t been contradicted thus far. However, it was a decision made under a very different set of circumstances than what we currently have. The situation has changed for Blizz. Losing ~18% of stock value in a day can change things very quickly. When investors are spooked, the CEO starts to worry about their job which puts pressure on the developers. That is how the structure of a publicly traded company plays out.

I never said that D3 isn’t in maintenance mode. I said it is sad that a game that is in maintenance mode is getting more content then a game that isn’t. The changes in D3 are more than cosmetic; they actually change how you play the game. The change to followers changed how the single player experience works. The season mechanics at least change how you play the game for a bit. The seasons changed the meta build for several classes. The new class sets changed the meta; Gears of the Dreadlands is a prime example of this. I’m not saying the added content for D3 is massive, but it is at least a few changes a year that change how you play the game even if they are temporary in some cases. That is far more than we can say for OW in the last 18 months.

1 Like

It depends on how you define it, I’ve seen different ways to use the term. OW doesn’t block content behind a paywall. And like I stated before, this is still irrelevant as there was never a promise of anything, they have been very careful about what they say and everything they’ve said so far has been true.

Yes, they were different circumstances and as I’ve stated in other threads they can change their minds if they want. In any case I was addressing what you said, and I stand correct, unless they say otherwise, that is how things are.

This is debatable, as someone who plays D3 myself I don’t think the game has received any significant content or at all since it went maintenance mode. All they do is tweak numbers which is incredibly easy, that is not creating new content. As for OW1, they clearly stated that we weren’t going to get content since they were focusing on OW2 and yet we have had content released. Sure some people prefer to believe that new maps and skins aren’t content, it’s a matter of opinion.

Let me tell you something, anyone who has invested into the game and especially content creators that have helped its growth over the years in any way are entitled to things. Content creators do their part to help the game grow and stay alive, and devs do their part to help content creators have ways to do that. Its a back and forth relationship that is pretty common among games.

Even if you’re not big enough to get special treatment from devs for your content creation spending years helping them in any way you can still entitles you to be able to say this is unacceptable and not something the players should tolerate.

And all that aside, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if they are wrong…

1 Like

I also think this is why Warcraft 3 rules were changed when they launched Reforged… and not many creaters liked that. That and over promising led to the whole Refund debacle.

This is false. Those people made a choice to play a game and the same goes for content creators, they choose to make content, no one asked them to do it and they are welcome to create content for other game is they want.

The influence that content creators and streamers have over the success of a game is vastly overestimated. Eventually we as a gaming society will gain conscience of how overvalued they are. We can even see that with some games, they have no streaming prescence or barely any content creators and they are still successful.

Again false. They would only owe them if they payed them or hired them in some way. Other than that nope, neither players nor CC are entitled to anything at all.

You couldn’t be wrong on all accounts.

Take Apex as a prime example. They did some ads but launched instantly. Content creators were the one’s trying the game out first showing it off to the world. Even I myself watched content creators playing the game the first day and hearing their thoughts leading me to want to play it myself and that goes along with millions of other current players.

One could say Apex owes a big chunk of its current success to content creators. If no one on twitch chose to keep creating content for overwatch I can guarantee that there would be far less players on the game.

Even myself, as a very small content creator have inspired people who previously played years ago, and even some interested in the game to pick it up and play it again or buy a copy for themselves.

So simple observational power proves you wrong. Think about it, if Overwatch had no content creators but Fortnite and warzone did, how many people would care about what is happening in overwatch? If they wanted to play a game that they could enjoy openly with others they’d play those games instead even if they did find overwatch fun.

Don’t ignore the facts that are visible in front of your face.

Because I’m right, thank you for noticing.

Their initial strategy was good for sure, it was a surprise. But where are they now? The game declined heavily and CC didn’t really help much in keeping the game up. Same goes for Valorant, it was all false. I still remember the millions of people watching it and all the immense hype around it, including content creators jumping ship from OW, and what did that amount to? It all died in the blink of an eye and Valorant is mostly considered a failure in that sense, it’s a decent game for sure I’m not hating on it but it’s not what “people” thought or promised to be.

Good for you. I am not a content creator yet I got many friends to pick up OW and we play all the time, and they in turn got other people to play it and so on. I don’t think Blizzard owes me anything for that.

Quiet the opposite my friend.

I always find it funny how it seems like those games are more fun to watch than to play. Just to put an example, none of their eSports ever got any success, it didn’t matter how many content creators were hyping them up they still failed at that. As for the games themselves, I’m pretty sure in sometime they will start to decline, no amount of content will keep people playing those games for too long. On the other hand OW2 will introduce something new in the form of PvE gameplay, and I guarantee that MILLIONS of people will join the OW community just for PvE, it will give OW a longer lifespan.

I am the one talking facts here brother.

Honestly I wouldn’t call this a delay.

OW2 was announced on 11/1/2019.

Most triple A games take 3-4 years to make.

Their announcement only showed their early assets - basically their prototype PvE.

Where Blizzard went wrong was placing a currently live game, Overwatch (1), into a basic maintenance mode with sporadic support for balancing to focus on OW2.

Since then we have had 2 death match maps and 1 new hero (Echo) in 2020, and mini-events for skins.

That’s the problem. The “delay” read “the wait for” OW2 with no new content for over a year now and another year to go isn’t acceptable.

The company seems - I can’t stress “seems” enough here - to be gambling that by showing off 5v5 in OWL next year will drive up views of OWL since the (dwindling) player base is starved for anything new. That YouTube personalities will make a bunch of vids about the OWL play discussing every little nuance about the play.

The increased OWL views (or the hope of), will garner the interest of some more sponsors - which is where the Overwatch revenue really comes from now - the league.

With content creators pouring over the very nutty-gritty detail of the OWL games,
Player interest will go up.

Again this is what it seems like to me.

If that is the case, Blizzard will need to do a few things to keep momentum going.

They will need to have some type of alpha testing from players of 5v5 after the OWL with changes based on pro-player feedback. Probably in the form of an ExC.

They will need to begin releasing some animated shorts after that for OW2.

Then they need to begin inviting players (probably pros, streamers, and top 500 first) to early closed beta.

Then have another ExC for the PvP 5v5.

Followed by larger closed beta of OW2 by the end of 2022.

“you’re willingly playing” is a highly debatable claim given the subtle mind control techniques they use - I don’t even know why I’m here on the OW forums or remember how I even got here…

Patience

Delayed or set-back/setback

Was it minor

Probably/prob

I feel like, when you start saying things like this, you should really quit while you’re…well, behind. You went from you saying “they never said it was a live service” to “it depends on how you define it”, which are two radically different sentences.

Why not just admit Overwatch might be advertised as a live service after all? Do they have to scream and explicitly state “THIS IS A LIVE SERVICE!” for you to think it is? They pretty much already said that, but do you need to hear the exact words?

1 Like

Though there was not an official release date, they did explicitly express their intentions on releasing within a certain year, for example, 2022. You’d have to be lying to yourself if you truly believe that a player base, which has already been starving for new context NOT recycled content, wouldn’t be disappointed after patiently waiting for the dev team to be finished with OW2, such that regular updates could resume to the base game, just to find out they may have to wait even longer for quality updates to the base game.

That’s great that you’re a loyal fan to OW but you’re deceiving yourself as an objective consumer of a product.

The active player base is relatively small when compared to other popular games. Hence the quotes around small. Overwatch is not meeting the standard number of active players such as Fortnite, LoL, etc.

Within the context of OW2, players were expecting an OW2 release due to OW’s respective announcements of their timeline. Considering OW2 is an extension to OW, not a separate game, that can also be considered “new” content.

If you’ve not figured out in life yet, you can not trust any corporation or business. They will either flat out lie or tell their story in a way that makes it sound nice or that is good for you but in reality it is not.

Prime Example: Walmart stated this year, they will be closed on t-giving holiday to say thanks to their employees. ← That sounds nice but in reality they are low on stock and and don’t have all of the crappy Black Friday junk to sell, so they spun this BS statement to make it sound like they were doing their employees a favor. Trust me, their fat cat execs would never ever miss a nickel unless forced to.

As a software engineer myself, I am very familiar with constructing timelines and then having to deliver the unfortunate news that it simply must be pushed to the right.

I also understand that a schedule slip can be due to a multitude of things:

• resources
  • life happens
  • what we call “unknown unknowns” pop up

I get it. I personally, am unaffected by all the latest OW2 news and the sensitivity around it. Though I understand those things, I can also fairly understand the side of the player base that is reasonably frustrated.

I haven’t taken a side here just stating the facts.

I’m not affected either as I have zero intention of buying it but folks should understand, they owe no one anything.