This Isn't Going To Be A New Thing Is It?

Same difference to me, if you give money directly to Blizzard, and they spend on marketing.

Heck, and that’s assuming giving money to Blizzard means Bobby Kotick would increase the Overwatch team’s budget.

With this method, you know the money goes to helping Overwatch, and not purchasing Bobby’s 5th Yacht.

Content creators are an important part of the community. Both in terms of community building for a certain segment, and in terms of driving both visibility and awareness of what’s happening with the game.

Like it or not, traditional marketing is no more and content creators serve an important function in the existing ecosystem. What we’re focused on doing is providing opportunities for creators to be successful with Overwatch, so that creating content for the community is a more sustainable choice for them. The hypothesis is that this is a far better mechanism than just throwing piles of cash at people to stream the game, as that rarely yields long lasting positive results.

To be clear, we’re not being paid in any way for this skin, aside from the obvious marketing value of increased visibility on platform. You can think of it as marketing budget put towards a skin for the purpose of promoting the game (even though that’s not tacitly what it is)

44 Likes

Have you seen Diablo Immortal?

Expect so much more monetization in The near future.

24 Likes

I mean its your call. Other games are doing this as well. Personally I think 2 subs would be better in case you watch neither of those streamers.

You guys should have handle this better like feature more smaller streamers, right now you feature some streamers who are not dedicated OW streamers, who did not stick with the game during the content drought and even bashed OW2.

28 Likes

We’ll see. As it stands now I definitely won’t participate in such an event and many others won’t either as I’m sure you can see. If it were instead similar to the entry for beta one then you’d probably see a lot more positive feedback.

8 Likes

to be transparent, there was never a world in which this promotion was only existing core OW streamers. I feel as though we have a good mix of familiar faces and new folks who will bring plenty of new eyes to both the game and community

8 Likes

so your better plan is to benefit 30 odd streamers while annoying everyone else?

lol…

21 Likes

Blizz, if you care about streamers just add creator codes like you have in warzone. No need to push the costs associated with launch day streamers onto the players. It’s transparent.

25 Likes

Said small streamers will likely lose tons of potential support because probably like 80% of the viewship will go to xqc lol. Afterwards he’ll uninstall OW2 beta and go back to whatever he was doing.

18 Likes

and it’s not at all related that this might “encourage” people to connect on twitch to increase visuals on OW after the sudden drop in the ability to get key access to the first OW2 beta, huh?

and thank you for putting XQC at the top of the list (is it still for OWL? No? do you remember why? it was so “respectable” for the atmosphere of OW …)

or Asmogold, a “typical OW content creator”.

From Wikipedia
Asmongold , is an American Twitch streamer and YouTuber, primarily known for playing World of Warcraft.

19 Likes

Maybe they will do that, we just dont know yet

I’m sorry, you mean over 150, right? Because that’s how many are on the list

20 Likes

in all caps lol :rofl:

2 Likes

With that being the case I would love the overwatch replay viewer to come back

1 Like

Yeah… You have a point about featuring non dedicated streamers… but it still feels like this could have been handled better and probably gave more goodwill to the streamers who stuck with the game for so long. Maybe it can be handled better next time.

1 Like

So you want people who you are marketing towards… to pay for said marketing?

Interesting tactic.

51 Likes

Then let people choose freely which Overwatch Streamer they want to Support instead of giving us a list with mostly huge streamers who don’t need the Support and don’t even stream the game on a regular base.

30 Likes

If it’s not everyone it’s a bad idea. Do it like drops.

I don’t want to give money to any of the streamers you guys picked. I want to support the ones I feel deserve it.

18 Likes

So let me see if I have this right. Your plan as a company moving forward is to further scorn your consumer base, who are only critical of you because they want you to be better yet you repeatedly find ways to disappoint, for the sake of streamer analytics and the hope for more people watching the game instead of playing it? As marketing tactics go, this is pretty bad. This is to say nothing about the fact that most would be content with paying straight up for something like this no strings attached. You wouldn’t have to bribe people so bad if you actually took care of your game, just saying.

Also, Elden ring would like a word with yall. Elden ring would like SEVERAL words.

29 Likes

“Thanks for the 3 gifted subs”. Forgotten 3 seconds later or just ignored

9 Likes