This is without a doubt the worst state OW has been

People keep saying the game is growing i see no evidence of that

5 Likes

So if I just assume the metric is accurate, and Q1 sees the highest player count since OW2ā€™s release (which I donā€™t see how thatā€™s possible) but at the same time is the lowest quarter for earnings the game has ever seen, how is that:

People who just arrive at the game, buy the skins and battle passes.

They spend less after a while. They have some of the skins, the no longer care so much about the battle passes.

Not every player will be spending money at the same rate as day one.

The money you get to extract out of each player is expected to go down after the beginning burst, same for every game.

What evidence do you have for these

Thatā€™s not how it works though.

Overall playercount is not a good metric for that target audience. Itā€™s both new players who might spend money and old who might not. The only way this would work is if your rate of making money was faster than your rate of losing players, which as we saw from Q1, is not what the game is actually doing.

What that ā€œNot every player will be spending money at the same rate as day one?ā€

Like both industry experience, common sense, AND it is a well known thing.

I mean, I could find dev videos also talking about it, if you like.

Do you have a point? or are you just being stupid about it because you want to be?

That is EXACTLY how it works.

People keep playing but stop buying as much stuff, you knowā€¦ when they have stuff they already wanted.

2 Likes

I meant interms of growing player numbers and profit

What part of it?

For player numbers, here is a good estimate.

https://activeplayer.io/overwatch-2/

Scroll down, look at the chart.

1 Like

Estimates?

please donā€™t say the ā€œestimatesā€ are from active player io that couldnā€™t even get CSGOā€™s player count correct (was like 40% off a few months ago) even though itā€™s only on PC and is openly sharing itā€™s infoā€¦

EDIT, it literally took me to the answer xD

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that post contradictory given blizzard claimed 50 mau somewhere inbetween and now their stats is like 25 mau.

Isnā€™t that actually gradual loss.

Yeah, as long as they use the same method of estimation, even if the base line is out, you would expect the player number movements to collate.

You know like EVERY other method of population estimates.

Nope it is not.

1 Like

So again, how is this ā€œone of the best states overwatch has been in (from the devs point of view)ā€.

2 Likes

Because if you EXPECT players to pay less, then growing playerbase is the best state you can get.

They canā€™t be on release day all the time.

So you as a game dev want to gain players, since that correlates with increase spending (even if it will never get to release day spending).

ā€˜It was revealed to me in a dreamā€™ the website

And this is better than your estimates how?

Soā€¦ the game is not failing, because the devs expect it to be failing?

2 Likes

You are to still provide any good evidence for this given there is lack of official one.

Active playerbase site looks like someone playing guess the rank on reddit.

No the game is not failing because it is retaining / gaining players.

It is a hell of a lot better than the evidence that you people are saying that it is failing.

2 Likes

I think you got that the other way around lol

Fair enough, but my point isā€¦ a bunch of butt hurt players saying the game is dying isnā€™t ANY kind of good indicator that a game is actually dying.

Every third party estimate we have, shows the player base is going up.

1 Like