This is the worst this forum has ever been

This thread is meant as a mere observation, and not anything but:

I have been here since the OG days when we used to have downvotes. I’ve been through it all; I remember when hero limits were implemented, the absolute forum war when Role Queue was added, the Sombra ARG, and even the long content drought. I have seen people disagree on literally every topic and senselessly argue with each other (I’ve been in my fair share too) for years. With that in mind, I would like to point out that This is by far the worst I’ve ever seen the forums.

Legitimately every thread devolves into the same thing. You say a single positive word about anything regarding Overwatch 2 and you’re a “shill”, you criticize anything about Overwatch 2 and you’re a “doomer”. I have even noticed that going out of your way to take a neutral stance like “I am reserving judgment until we have more information” gets one called both. Now, more than ever, the community is split and people bear extreme animosity toward others with differing opinions than their own. This is even worse than Role Queue, and we had people have legitimate melt downs even then.

I don’t know about you guys, but I come here to see if there is any news on the game (as surely somebody will make a thread about it the moment anything happens). I come back to check multiple times a day, but instead of news I am greeted with a hundred seething threads of pure hatred. Is this exhausting for anybody else? It certainly is for me.

Edit: Okay, maybe the Mercy Raid incident was worse lol

54 Likes

Okay

7 Likes

Still less toxic than 99% of replies on here, so I’m not even mad.

32 Likes

Yep.

Personally I think the Mercy rework was a darker time with the megathread, but that is REALLY saying something that we even are having conversations around “was it worse or not.”

We have strayed far from the light indeed.

21 Likes

I say this from the bottom of my heart. I hope you enjoy the game and I hope you have a blast. But negativity usually should be expected when a company refuses to communicate. Especially to the degree Blizzard has. I wont be rude or shove a thousand other reasons in your face. But while there is some toxicity lets not lump all criticism in that category.

51 Likes

Yeah, that was definitely rough, and it lasted a while too. A lot of that was localized to one thread, but obviously not all of it, and especially not at first. There were some pragmatic and objective users making quality posts during that time, but there was also a lot of nonsense/garbage too. Remember the Mercy Main Raid?

2 Likes

I actually had a conversation with Aria Rose about it after it all collapsed. I sure she has forgotten, but it was interesting, I wish I recorded it.

But yeah, wild times for sure.

6 Likes

On one hand, I very much agree with this sentiment. I don’t want to be disingenuous to those who legitimately put in the time, effort, and thought into constructive criticism here on the forums. Marginalizing people who make those efforts and acting like they don’t exist is a step in the wrong direction in a time where their voices are already in danger of being drowned out by all the noise.

That said, I want to also hold my ground and say I think there are far more people just being toxic to one another than there are those that do that. At least that’s the way I feel right now when I log in to view the forums, or when I click on thread and scroll through the replies.

It’s to a point where I double think even giving my opinion half the time because no matter which side of the fence I’m on, I know it’ll be a silly and quite toxic argument.

I do think it’s important that people be able to share their opinions, and it’s definitely good to criticize the studio/devs when players feel the game is moving in a direction they do not like. Every voice matters and has value. I just think there is a way of going about that criticism tactfully that a great number of people have kind of abandoned at this point.

I do agree with this. They need to communicate with us more. The problem is that we’re left to speculate, and since we’re so scarred as a community, of course we move to worst case scenarios.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Idk if I’m just sadistic but this post makes me wish I was present to witness all the old forums crises, this place is… unique!

4 Likes

the fact that I am not permanently banned from posting here is proof that this forum is garbage

9 Likes

… it’s like severe mismanagement of their game has translated into playerbase unrest and negativity.

19 Likes

I think it’s easy to look back on that stuff with rose tinted glasses, but idk… those were simpler times.

Ive definitely mega earned it a few times too, they just give me 3 days and one time a whole month but they never actually get rid of me and I’ve never understood why. I apparently once allegedly incited violence like you’d think they’d draw the line there but I guess whoever reviewed the post knew it was just an exaggerated joke

1 Like

You just need a hug
:people_hugging:

5 Likes

Honestly, you’re not wrong. Thanks!

8 Likes

No more downvotes meant people that disagree have to be more vocal.

4 Likes

nah they can just use report as downvote replacement

Not at all, i like OW, but not enough to let it bother me, in game or out.

I am caught in this weird position where i want everyone to air their grievances thoroughly, but am getting sick of the same threads over and over, don’t like OW2 beta 2, but want OW2 to succeed… exc… exc…

I also dont know if this is the worst, the mercy rework and role queue were both just as bad.

Do you remember it got to a point AriaRose came to raid the forums over mercy and the mods were waiting to shut them down? that was after 6mo’s of craziness?

True.

This is also true.

Because they actually like people who promote good conversations.

I’ve been given a forum holiday a few times, but I’ve deserved those times (mostly anyway).

I can’t say the mods are not even handed because they are.