This is for the Sym and Sym-thread haters

My default reply when someone goes out of their way to enter and read a Sym thread is “nobody forced you to read this.” Do people not understand how absurd it is to go out of their way to read something they “don’t like” or “find annoying” just to complain about it? Who is compelling you to do that?

Anyway, this one is FOR the haters. Let me explain a few things. Let me explain why there are “so many” Sym topics. (There really aren’t)

A. Balance and specific treatment of Sym balance

Symmetra was literally described as an underperforming hero, and a few weeks later, received multiple nerfs.

Then:

• Beam-type damage reduction against Armor health pools increased from 20% to 30%

• (Secondary Fire) Max damage reduced from 140 to 120

As for specific treatment of Sym, the problem is she is like the only hero where they’re SUPER cautious about buffs.

• (Primary Fire) Delay before losing charge increased from 2 to 4 seconds

^This didn’t go through. Why? I honestly have no idea. What makes us mad is that they have no problem giving 4 flat buffs to an average hero, even when EVERYONE knows it’s gonna make the hero broken, yet every potential buff to Sym is treated with absurd scrutiny and caution. This is a weird double standard and we notice it.

B. Community perception is still trash

We still get told horrible things. We still get flamed by the 11 other players in the game. She is STILL thought of as a no-skill hero by the majority of the players of the game. (Makes sense, since the majority of the players aren’t that great and will naturally struggle against things that are extremely easy to counter once skill and gamesense are attained.)

https://imgur.com/SP7IWdO

https://imgur.com/KKCnMWi

https://imgur.com/x3V5H66

^Yep this crap still happens to us, a lot. And these were just the screenshots I could find in the 10 seconds I bothered to look.

C. Little things add up.

It’s not about not having a legendary skin this halloween. It’s about the little things that add up which is why we cry “neglect.” Listen, we know we’ve had a decent amount of attention from blizz, but frustrating things add up.

• No legendary skin for 2 years
  • OWL emote spelled wrong for crying out loud (Proton barrier?)
  • Radio silence on her balance state / direction besides saying she’s underperforming then nerfing her
  • TP selfdestruct bugs, gamebreaking bugs since 2018 that have not been acknowledged or fixed
  • Turrets selfdestructing when going off the payload via TP
  • Easy QoL features we’ve been asking for years not acknowledged or implemented
  • No highlight intro or victory pose showing her weapon
  • Main use in OWL is as a taxi bot to then swap off to a real hero
  • And more.

Just a bunch of things that add up to big frustration.

This is not to mention the fact that we can seem like a “loud” or “noisy” bunch, because, in all honesty, we’re the mains of what was essentially 2 different heroes, which may end up being 3 if the whispers from the dev AMA are true. We’re a heterogeneous bunch with different visions and directions for the hero that we enjoy / enjoyed playing.

At the end of the day, we complain because there are things to complain about. People that are satisfied or near satisfied with the heroes they play are not on the forums making topics about balance, they’re playing the game. When heroes were OP there were tons of threads about them, same with UP heroes, it’s only natural.

Many Sym players such as myself have stopped playing the game or the hero because of how frustrating she is to use. She’s a high effort low reward hero who really is only good for catching enemies off guard and relies on teamwork to get the same base value other DPS heroes can get alone. There’s no real reason to pick her on the ladder except for love of the hero. I mained Ashe this season and did way better than I could with Sym, even on maps where Sym should be in her so-called “niche.”

Anyway, that’s it. I hope for some buffs / changes / tweaks to the hero that I enjoy so much.

89 Likes

Sym lovers know the truth about Symmetra. Do you really think Sym haters are gonna actually read all that, though?

19 Likes

Good post as it discusses the issue with the hero.

27 Likes

Can’t agree more! Great post!

14 Likes

Well, maybe. They seem to inadvertently enjoy reading Sym topics very much even though they claim they’re “annoying”

11 Likes

Syms treatment is nothing short of shameful. I dont even play her and can see that it’s unacceptable.

She needed fixes years ago.

Anyway since those images arent showing in your OP:
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Through their inaction Blizzard are directly responsible for things like this happening.

32 Likes

Now that is what I call a good post. Sad that it’s true. But that doesn’t stop us from voicing our opinion. The last thing we should do is be afraid. We got this.

11 Likes

The issue is that the topic isn’t exclusive to the thread, however. If you’re literally flooding the front page with Sym threads, you’re drowning out all the other people trying to have legitimate conversations on other topics. That is when people get annoyed and tell you to stop spamming, because these forums are for more than just one hero.

8 Likes

Im starting to think Sym is the new Mercy. lol

4 Likes

Imb4 ‘‘Sym is fine just l2p!!!’’ morons appear.

Sym posts are like, 2 out of 15 in the front page. At some point today the ‘‘why so many Sym posts’’ were equal in number to the actual Sym posts lmao

Not only that but it was less that week ago that the Finals taxibot fiasco happened, and it was like a month ago the triple whammy nerf happened, and it was literally just yesterday that we went yet another event without anything of the heavily requested cosmetics Sym mains have been asking for years.

22 Likes

They’re not directly responsible for the actions of a few select individuals that play their game.

Their decisions may influence players, that would be a more indirect responsibility because they don’t tell people to hate on others nor do they make them.
The people that have the direct responsibility for being toxic are the players themselves.

2 Likes

They’re directly responsible for designing and not fixing a hero that is so underpowered on most maps that it causes those “select individuals” to harass and insult the Sym player on a regular basis.

Anybody who knows anything at all about people knows that not fixing underpowered heroes in a competitive game leads to this predictable outcome.

They are directly responsibly for not fixing the issue when it became clear, through their players reactions, that there is an issue. It’s not like this is a new problem. We’re talking years here.

9 Likes

Normally I could agree but it doesnt help that the entire reason why that specific case of bad player behavior exists in the first place is because people rightfully feel like Sym is activelly harming their player experience with all the whole thing of her being an unviable dps hero that tanks and healers and the other dps have to play around both gameplay and hero pick-wise just to make her decent.

2 Likes

What rank is that in.

No idea you’ll need to ask the OP.

1 Like

I agree the the post buuuut:

I mean… like the 140 damage orbs it was largely useless… like neither touched on the actual issues regarding either of them…

Maybe you should be asking for her to be turned into a hitscan? Then she’ll be buffed.

1 Like

They don’t “cause” anyone to do anything. They don’t but a gun to their head and tell them to be toxic. They might influence players to act in certain ways, but they don’t cause anyone to act in any certain way.
It is up to the player who ultimately decides how they react to that influence.

That’s their own ignorance that causes that and is most likely them trying to blame someone that isn’t themselves even when they are the issue.
People harassing others based on who they play is not secluded to Sym players either, which is why I don’t see these screenshots as being significant.

1 Like

It’s not about the specific buff it’s about the principle behind not going through with it when historically if it was some other hero they would. Really that was a QoL thing if anything.

1 Like

This is like apples to squares. Two very different heroes that accomplish different things.

120dps on a full orb is still really good by the way. That’s including the fact that there is no fall off on them.

The meta, however, does not suit Sym. It’s a dive meta, which means Sym spends a lot of time flanking to get value. It’s too challenging to play front line against hard dive.

But she does counter Sombra. A soft counter, but she is a counter nonetheless. All has to do with turret placement.

1 Like